Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Best Anti-virus out there  (Read 4839 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Anti-virus out there
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 02:20:56 pm »

AVIRA!
the only bad part about it is that it beeps when a virus is found. that can get annoying if you're on a virus-y computer.

http://www.avira.com

If you're on a virus-infested computer, having your AV beep at you is the least of your problems.  :P

I use Avast! myself, and I've heard a lot of good things about Microsoft Security Essentials (several fellow techies claim it's the only non-crap piece of software Microsoft has ever released!).

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 02:27:35 pm »

I'm using avira and am thinking of switching over.

Always when I select that the program should ignore a file I usually get it trying to remove that file again the next day.

Though it doesn't really give any other problems besides that.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 02:32:19 pm »

I actually used avira... before I wrote my own based on some open-source code  :P
works like a charm.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39:38 pm »

Fair warning, Comodo occasionally screws with games, to the point of making them unplayable. Nothing unsolvable by turning the thing off (except in like two cases I've came across, where comodo had to be entirely uninstalled to get something to function :-\), but it happens.

Mind, it happens with other anti-virii as well, but some things have problems specifically with comodo -- or did, at least, last time I had it on this computer.
Actually, the only problem I ever had with Comodo was that Half Life 2 would crash my entire system.
I think it was Comodo at least.
Anyway, was a really easy fix. I just had to set hl2.exe to a trusted program.
That and hl2 based games wouldn't get past the firewall, but again, that was another easy fix.

AVG has been fine for me.
AVG is a pain in the arse, I never really saw how much of a pain it was until I moved away from it.

For awhile they were not and I switched to ClamWin.
ClamWin is absolutely fantastic.
It's one of those programs that does what it says, and absolutely not a damned thing more.
No Firewall with it though, but then Windows Firewall is actually rather good.

Also, Spybot Search and Destroy is nice. I haven't had it catch anything, but that's because there's usually nothing to catch.
I've had Spybot catch a few things. It mostly works as a preventative mesure though, which is fantastic.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 02:52:48 pm »

Spybot S&D seems a little janky as of late. I remember it falling out of favor a while ago, it's crashed on me and otherwise acted oddly, although the immunization features are still nice. I don't think I'd bother with it again, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 02:59:46 pm »

Just re-immunized my system a while ago, and SBS&D seemed fine. Then again, it's been a while since I've found anything with it other than tracking cookies. And that makes me nervous. You know the world is bad when a clear AV check is worrisome.

As for AVG.....I'm convinced it's almost spyware itself these. Install the trial version, and it will constantly load itself onto your system even though it's not doing anything after it expires. Several processes that don't necessarily hog memory, but is just more shit you have running, like network service agents.

Plus, the last time I used it about 2 years ago, it liked to re-enable itself in the msconfig settings after I told it not to. That really, really irritates me when a program does that. I recall some funkiness after uninstalling it too, like I couldn't seem to get rid of all its files.

I remember when AVG came out, it was a nice, solid, free package that ran pretty minimally. As it got more popular though, I just found it caught less stuff, and used more resources.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:01:21 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 03:33:11 pm »

Plus, the last time I used it about 2 years ago, it liked to re-enable itself in the msconfig settings after I told it not to. That really, really irritates me when a program does that. I recall some funkiness after uninstalling it too, like I couldn't seem to get rid of all its files.

Did you try deleting it's files in safe mode?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 03:35:22 pm »

As for AVG.....I'm convinced it's almost spyware itself these. Install the trial version, and it will constantly load itself onto your system even though it's not doing anything after it expires. Several processes that don't necessarily hog memory, but is just more shit you have running, like network service agents.

Here's some good advice for anybody out there:
Never leave a free trial of security software installed on your computer after the trial has expired. It will do nothing.

I see that shit all the time on OEM computers. They always come with free trials of popular antivirus packages, but I always uninstall them, because you know that, whether it's in 30 days or 60 days or a year, it'll be useless in no time, and you'll have to uninstall it anyway. Better to just jump the gun and install something free right off the bat.

Also, when uninstalling software, see if there's a removal utility on the vendor's website. Never trust the uninstaller alone. Ever. There's a reason why Symantec has a "product removal tool" on their website; it's because the uninstallers don't completely function, or at least cannot be trusted to do so.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 03:44:42 pm »

AVG? Came with my old XP, seems to work just fine. I hear Microsoft's set of  tools are fine too.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 04:16:58 pm »

You got an antivirus package free with a computer that wasn't just a limited trial? That's pretty damn rare, I must say.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 04:24:21 pm »

I use HouseCall when I need to scan a computer real quick.  It's not a constantly-running thing, but it's lightweight, and not installing can be a VERY GOOD thing if your only goal is to scan once.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 04:39:31 pm »

Bitdefender, never failed me.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 04:54:15 pm »

You got an antivirus package free with a computer that wasn't just a limited trial? That's pretty damn rare, I must say.
It was the free/trial-ish version, the full version *would* be pretty awesome.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »

COMODO is about the best free option out there though that can be debated. Its what I have on my desktop computer. My laptop is using Norton though because my dad buys it and the thing can go on up to 3 computers though its to bulky in general. Norton can really slow down your computer.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 05:44:56 pm »

Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, and one thing you can never ever find a download for when you need it: Common sense. I rarely need any software because I rarely put myself in situations that require them. I'm not even one of those paranoids who run NoScript and stuff, I just make sure I know what I'm in for generally :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4