Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion  (Read 7224 times)

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 04:13:54 am »

As far as the game goes, it's a good modding platform, but a very poor game in and of itself. The combat is clunky, the world generic, the lore utterly shit discounting the stuff ripped from the previous game, the quests poorly designed, it's buggy, it's poorly optimized(seriously some of the FLAT SURFACES range into the 400 polygon level of clusterfuckery,) let's face it, it's graphics, if I judged things by their graphics, were admittedly good for their time, haven't aged well, the distant land pales in comparison to the fan made Morrowind version, the game betrays the previously politically vibrant last few installments for what amount to cheap laughs, the leveling system was borked utterly, making you actually get weaker overtime, the creatures were bog standard lacking the originality of Morrowinds beastary, the quest compass reduced the act of exploring down to something a two year old could do, the magic system was borked with durations for standard spells bought from merchants being pointless, and alchemy potions being OP as hell, and I think I've said my piece.

Seven+One things make up for most of these flaws, QTP3(Textures), UOP(Bugs), PyFFI(Optimization of Meshes), FCOM+DR(Difficulty+Combat, I consider these mods as one package), BGs RBP(Better race design, with actual lore friendly races added as well), LAME(fixing the magic system for fun and profit) and Integration(20 hour main quest+15 hour side quest chain+20 hours of other side quests spread around= a whole new game, almost all of it lore friendly.) The extra one, FUCKING NEHRIM, if you have oblivion download it, you can't stand German voices because they remind you of when Hitler used to take you around the shed for some quality love, turn off the voices.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 04:38:00 am »

As far as the game goes, it's a good modding platform, but a very poor game in and of itself. The combat is clunky, the world generic, the lore utterly shit discounting the stuff ripped from the previous game, the quests poorly designed, it's buggy, it's poorly optimized(seriously some of the FLAT SURFACES range into the 400 polygon level of clusterfuckery,) let's face it, it's graphics, if I judged things by their graphics, were admittedly good for their time, haven't aged well, the distant land pales in comparison to the fan made Morrowind version, the game betrays the previously politically vibrant last few installments for what amount to cheap laughs, the leveling system was borked utterly, making you actually get weaker overtime, the creatures were bog standard lacking the originality of Morrowinds beastary, the quest compass reduced the act of exploring down to something a two year old could do, the magic system was borked with durations for standard spells bought from merchants being pointless, and alchemy potions being OP as hell, and I think I've said my piece.

Seven+One things make up for most of these flaws, QTP3(Textures), UOP(Bugs), PyFFI(Optimization of Meshes), FCOM+DR(Difficulty+Combat, I consider these mods as one package), BGs RBP(Better race design, with actual lore friendly races added as well), LAME(fixing the magic system for fun and profit) and Integration(20 hour main quest+15 hour side quest chain+20 hours of other side quests spread around= a whole new game, almost all of it lore friendly.) The extra one, FUCKING NEHRIM, if you have oblivion download it, you can't stand German voices because they remind you of when Hitler used to take you around the shed for some quality love, turn off the voices.

And despite all that, I still love the game to death. It was the first great RPG I ever played, and the only one I still enjoy to poke around in. Even when you compare it to newer RPGs (Mass Effect 1/2, for example) Oblivion's gameplay is infinitely more addicting. There's just so much to do, and so much room to do it in.

Regardless, the only thing I got out of your post is some new mods to try. (LAME? :D) The rest of it was all the arguments for why Oblivion sucks I have seen in other threads rolled into one small, conveniently sized package.

I have no problem with you voicing your dislike, but if all you have to say is "ObIVIEEN SuX!11!one!", then please refrain from posting at all.

Again, nothing personal, I just dont want this thread devolving already.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 05:27:23 am »

And despite all that, I still love the game to death. It was the first great RPG I ever played, and the only one I still enjoy to poke around in. Even when you compare it to newer RPGs (Mass Effect 1/2, for example) Oblivion's gameplay is infinitely more addicting. There's just so much to do, and so much room to do it in.

Regardless, the only thing I got out of your post is some new mods to try. (LAME? :D) The rest of it was all the arguments for why Oblivion sucks I have seen in other threads rolled into one small, conveniently sized package.

I have no problem with you voicing your dislike, but if all you have to say is "ObIVIEEN SuX!11!one!", then please refrain from posting at all.

LAME, Less Annoying Magic Experience, RBP, Race Balancing Project, BG, BG2408, PyFFI, Python .nif File Format Interface.

I could recommend a few other mods, like Adense Epic Dungeon, which adds a massive dungeon, as the rather apt title proclaims, Enhanced Economy which is a revamp of the flagging shitty economy in the base game, which I forgot to add in my first post. nGCD, which fixes the leveling system, making you not have to make shitty choices as a class skill and plan your leveling like you are from the 80s. The Unique Landscape Project, which is attempt to make the Fantasy Generica Terrain into less generic fantasy terrain, or at least better generic fantasy terrain. The Ayeleid Steps, a down right interesting quest mod with an even more interesting travel system. Elsweyr, a project to increase the size of land you can visit, adding in the area of Elsweyr, with around 10 km more  terrain to explore. Bananasplits better cities, turning the generico fantastico cities into more cluttered more realistic generico fantastico cities.

If you want I can keep posting shit like this. As I said it's a fantastic modding platform.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 05:33:52 am »

I don't recommend using nGCD. The mod looks for your effective skill value instead of the base, which means that by putting on a Black Hand robe I suddenly gain ten-and-a-half levels.

PyFFI I haven't heard of. Might be interesting.

Also, why do so few people seem to use Supreme Magicka?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 05:50:45 am »

If you want I can keep posting shit like this. As I said it's a fantastic modding platform.

Oh god dammit, some of those look fantastic. You're making me want to give the old hector another chance. Keep 'em coming please, I've been out of touch with the modding community for, pfft, years now, so I have no idea what's good. About the only one I remember off the top of my head is Gather Ye Rosebuds.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 06:37:38 am »

Some good mods I use that haven't yet been mentioned:

Adrenaline Fuelled Combat (compatible with the aforementioned Deadly Reflex etc., does a number of things, most prominently making powerattacks more interesting and somewhat customisable)
Progress (expands mechanics behind skill/level rates, highly configurable)
Kragenir's Death Quest (only came across this recently - adds a pretty vast number of extra quests, some of which are pretty interesting)
Consequences of Evil (expands mechanics behind fame/infamy)
Mighty Umbra (vaguely unorthodox expansion of Umbra)
Whatever Oblivifall mods you can find, I remember four or so, they're all small
Ren's Guard Overhaul (total revision of crime system)
JOG's Stealth Overhaul (comparatively minor changes to sneaking/backstab system)
Smarter Mercantile Levelling (speaks for itself)
Intelligence Overhaul (fairly unorthodox, makes intelligence affect skill gain rate/training and makes magic skills determine total magicka)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 06:50:29 am »

Just grabbed LAME and Ren's Guard mods. Pretty neat, and the small file sizes are nice :D, although I really should try Deadly Reflexes. I hear about that a lot.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 07:06:20 am »

Oh god dammit, some of those look fantastic. You're making me want to give the old hector another chance. Keep 'em coming please, I've been out of touch with the modding community for, pfft, years now, so I have no idea what's good. About the only one I remember off the top of my head is Gather Ye Rosebuds.

Warning most of the mods I'm posting is balanced for my ripped rig, it plays Crysis on Highest at 30fps or higher and Arma2 at the same. Using mods drains your CPU, if you have a strong GPU but a weak CPU, extensive modding probably isn't a good idea. My CPU is a quad 4.2 ghz, my GPU is a 580, I bought a month ago before that when I was playing heavily I had an 9800 gt that lasted me a good 2 years, my ram is 6 gigs, because despite what people say, even fully modded, oblivion takes up a max of 1.4 gigs of ram, that's the highest you're ever gonna push it. I've had a setup of over 460 mods and still never pushed it above 1.45 gigs. You really only need more than 6 if you run hard core server style databasing apps. Another thing to remember is that Oblivion isn't using Multicore cpus for anything other than a scant few sections of code. So a faster single core is better than a slower dual core. This holds true for most of Bethesda's Gamebryo games.

Some more mods, Midas Magic, adds some really unique spells, like ricochet spell ball things, and melon meteors. The Kragenir's Death Quest, another massive quest chain, with around 20 hours of content in the main quest and 10 in side quests, Lore Friendlyness is debatable. Reneer's Guard Overhaul, fixes the idiotic guards, removes the psychic AI, etc. Malevolent, a script heavy quest mod, The Oubliette, another huge dungeon that was done as a Halloween mod by someone. Dungeons of Ivellon, fantastic older dungeon, shorter and more puzzle based than the last two, but still fantastic. Windom Earles' Oblivion Crash Prevention System, prevent a lot of the random crashes you tend to get, person doing it got sick of fixing other peoples mistakes, realized Oblivion was so crashy he'd never fix them all, and basically said, cunt it all I'm leaving. Progress, let's you assign leveling rates to pretty much anything, tweak maniacs dream. Darkness Hollows, an interesting dungeon crawl, and world space.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 07:13:14 am »

I don't get the Intelligence Overhaul mod, or atleast the idea behind it. Intelligence has been the decideing factor for how much mana you have in most RPGs with mana for a ridiculasly long time, and It's worked damn well. Why change what isn't broken? Though admitedly, Daggerfall did better than Oblivion(and even morrwind) for makeing sure magey characters have more magic than non-magey characters, with an optional class ability to give you from .5 int amount = mana(basic normal rate) up to x3int = mana amount(max without things to buff mana or INT ingame, like items or spells)

I also don't get the point of the Elswyer thing, the point in the games so far is only involve places that have to do with the main quest. The entirety of the continent for Arena due to the large scope in story, the Illiac Bay(high rock and some of the redguard's home) for Daggerfall, Vvardenfell for Morrowind, and Cyrodill for Oblivion, adding in another provence that has nothing to do with the story, and even one we know little about, atleast compaired to others, just sounds insane or stupid to be honest.
Edit: It would make more sense just to make cyrodiil bigger, both from the logical perspective of the little thing the games have going already and from a lore perspective of 'this is an entire provence, it should be freaking huge compaired to what it is'
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:17:39 am by KaguroDraven »
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 07:25:46 am »

I don't get the Intelligence Overhaul mod, or atleast the idea behind it. Intelligence has been the decideing factor for how much mana you have in most RPGs with mana for a ridiculasly long time, and It's worked damn well. Why change what isn't broken? Though admitedly, Daggerfall did better than Oblivion(and even morrwind) for makeing sure magey characters have more magic than non-magey characters, with an optional class ability to give you from .5 int amount = mana(basic normal rate) up to x3int = mana amount(max without things to buff mana or INT ingame, like items or spells)

I also don't get the point of the Elswyer thing, the point in the games so far is only involve places that have to do with the main quest. The entirety of the continent for Arena due to the large scope in story, the Illiac Bay(high rock and some of the redguard's home) for Daggerfall, Vvardenfell for Morrowind, and Cyrodill for Oblivion, adding in another provence that has nothing to do with the story, and even one we know little about, atleast compaired to others, just sounds insane or stupid to be honest.
Edit: It would make more sense just to make cyrodiil bigger, both from the logical perspective of the little thing the games have going already and from a lore perspective of 'this is an entire provence, it should be freaking huge compaired to what it is'
I completely agree, this is why I like the Tamriel Rebuilt mod for Morrowind. Just adds in the continent. Elsweyr is pretty cool though.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 07:28:15 am »

I don't get the Intelligence Overhaul mod, or atleast the idea behind it.

The point is that attributes can be more interesting than they are. Of the major stats, intelligence in vanilla is probably the worst off - strength is at least partially useful to everyone, as it raises your encumberance and fatigue as well as melee damage. At a stretch, the same can be said for something like willpower. But intelligence is literally "click here for more magicka!".

And you can't be telling me that the vanilla magic system isn't broken. The intelligence-to-magicka ratio is 1:1 - I put five points into intelligence, get five magicka back out. Unless I decide to play as a Breton/High Elf and take Mage/Apprentice as my birthsign, my max magicka is horribly gimped - amusingly, this ties directly into the strategy of "pick the skills you don't want so you can level the ones you do" -  I'd have to start as one of the "magical" races just so I'd get a shot at using magic later on. It's ridiculous.

Other mods have tried to address the issue by adjusting the amount of magicka you get per point of intelligence, but this one is just that much more intuitive. An intelligent character learning just as fast as a ridiculously stupid one doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 07:33:13 am »

Ah yes, everyone who doesn't like Oblivion is a leet speaking illiterate idiot who has absolutely no reasoning behind their opinions, unlike you, who just likes it... because.

You know, if you don't want people who disagree with you posting in this thread it might be a good idea to avoid constantly taunting them.  Just saying.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 08:00:16 am »

snip
snip

Ah yes, everyone who doesn't like Oblivion is a leet speaking illiterate idiot who has absolutely no reasoning behind their opinions, unlike you, who just likes it... because.

You know, if you don't want people who disagree with you posting in this thread it might be a good idea to avoid constantly taunting them.  Just saying.

*sigh* Just because, eh?

I'm sorry. Ill keep my super aggressive and obviously flame-like taunts out of my own topic. Of course, just by saying that, I just helped this thread explode.

I'd prefer to just drop the matter altogether so that doesn't happen. Work with me here, ok?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 11:30:59 am »

Hey, play nice, you two! I can't have this topic locked before I get all the good mod tips! >:(

Warning most of the mods I'm posting is balanced for my ripped rig.

Not a problem.

Some more mods, Midas Magic, adds some really unique spells, like ricochet spell ball things, and melon meteors. The Kragenir's Death Quest, another massive quest chain, with around 20 hours of content in the main quest and 10 in side quests, Lore Friendlyness is debatable. Reneer's Guard Overhaul, fixes the idiotic guards, removes the psychic AI, etc. Malevolent, a script heavy quest mod, The Oubliette, another huge dungeon that was done as a Halloween mod by someone. Dungeons of Ivellon, fantastic older dungeon, shorter and more puzzle based than the last two, but still fantastic. Windom Earles' Oblivion Crash Prevention System, prevent a lot of the random crashes you tend to get, person doing it got sick of fixing other peoples mistakes, realized Oblivion was so crashy he'd never fix them all, and basically said, cunt it all I'm leaving. Progress, let's you assign leveling rates to pretty much anything, tweak maniacs dream. Darkness Hollows, an interesting dungeon crawl, and world space.

Yeah, thanks for that, some of those sound really good. I remember the guards one, that was a good one. But I still haven't fully explored even vanilla Oblivion, so I'm more interested in mods that fix its problems rather than those that introduce completely new content. Specifically the stupid level scaling, especially of quest rewards. I seem to remember OOO did something about that, but it came bundled with a whole bunch of other changes I didn't want, so I didn't much like it.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 11:53:50 am »

3, please, please be little less vehement.

I do agree, unmodded Oblivion is very...well, shitty.

Anyway, links? Please?

And Ioric - blergh to you. Some people like Oblivion because they like to modify their games - the fact that the game is nearly unplayable without mods doesn't change that.

Also:
Considering how moddable the game is, if that's really so much of a problem, there's bucketloads of mods out there to deal with that.

As for it not holding to TES lore, well, Oblivion was the first TES-related thing I'd ever encountered, so...I really don't care about that.

My point being, if you're just here to bash Oblivion, please leave. I'm not saying you can't express your opinion, far from it, but removing the abrasiveness and taunts would be a step towards people not automatically ignoring your posts.

You may have reasons for not liking Oblivion - that's great. We've heard them all before, since you post in EVERY SINGLE THREAD ABOUT OBLIVION.

So unless you have something new to say, please shove off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4