Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion  (Read 7205 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
« on: January 21, 2011, 12:17:39 am »

A topic about and for Oblivion. Arguments are fine, but keep them toned down. I don't want the almighty Toad to have to close this topic.

And yes, there is no other plain Oblivion topic. The closest was "Arguing about Oblivion", and that was closed for a horribly written introductory post. So! I really doubt anyone doesn't know what oblivion is, but it is a installment in the Elder Scrolls saga. The game is a RPG in a massive open ended world focused around a combination of quests and "Do whatever you want" gameplay.

Moving on, as a topic to get us started, what mods do you guys enjoy? I play Oblivion with MMM, OOO, Weather Inside, Realistic Physics, and some kind of weather mod that works with weather inside. Oh, and of course, like any other Oblivion player, I have Operation Optimization and the Script Optimization mods so my FPS wont hit rock-bottom on high graphics.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:30:08 am by Rex_Nex »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:28:10 am »

im on a 4500mhd laptop so i don't even know if the game can managed, maybe if i cut the textures down and stuff but i haven't seen any mods for that stuff.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:29:11 am »

I really doubt anyone doesn't know what oblivion is, but it is the foruth installment in the Elder Scrolls saga (not counting Arena).

How... how are you coming to Oblivion being the fourth elder scrolls game? There's like, no way, at all, to come to that number, unless you count Arena and discount the legend/adventure/travels stuff. If you count those, but discount arena, Oblivion comes out to like the fifth. If you discount those and arena, Oblivion's the third one.

Your numerical assignment makes no sense :-[

In on topic news, I've never actually played oblivion. I watched someone play it once, and came to the conclusion that the facial models they were using were horrifically ugly, in some sort of misshapen marshmallow dough-boy manner. That, and that there was no way whatsoever my computer was ever going to run it without igniting. Oh well...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:34:42 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:29:39 am »

My laptop is anything but high-end. Its worth a try, medium settings and Operation Optimization should let even a Little Tykes computer handle it.

How... how are you coming to Oblivion being the fourth elder scrolls game? There's like, no way, at all, to come to that number, unless you count Arena and discount the legend/adventure/travels stuff. If you count those, but discount arena, Oblivion comes out to like the fifth. If you discount those and arena, Oblivion's the third one.

Your numerical assignment makes no sense :-[

I see... due to my highly tuned failing skills, I have edited the description a bit to be a bit more... broad.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 12:30:25 am »

I don't play with any mods to be honest, as I've mentioned in other threads I've never used a mod in my life, but I still enjoyed the game, I never saw much of the hype so the game wasn't ruined for me becouse of it, and it made me look into the older elder scrolls games which I also now enjoy alot. I have to say though I enjoy the game far more with Shivering Isles than just normal, the surroundings are more interesting and Sheogorath is both funny and disturbing in equal parts. As I've mentioned to other people, I'm not sure if I should find it funny or creepy that the madgod has a scottish accent.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 12:33:27 am »

I'm pretty sure they disowned the Adventures... so it goes I:Arena -> II:Daggerfall -> III:Morrowind -> IV:Oblivion

If you disagree I've got this box that says "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion"... :P
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 12:34:02 am »

My laptop is anything but high-end. Its worth a try, medium settings and Operation Optimization should let even a Little Tykes computer handle it.
wow i just checked the operation op. mod and that sounds good for me! but im worried about the shaders and bloom effects, those will tax the stupid chip.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 12:38:35 am »

Well, its still worth a try. My chip is horrible, and only an average amount of ram (6 gigs). Of course you can turn the shading effects off :)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 12:44:46 am »

As with most Bethesda games that use the Gamebryo engine, I mod the hell out of Oblivion. I don't currently have it (GOTY, BTW) installed, but when I do reinstall it, I intend to run it with FCOM and same aesthetic mods, as well as OBSE. I'll also install Nehrim alongside it.

Pity Nehrim only has German VO...

As for the discussion bit, I expect that this thread will soon devolve into the usual "Warrrrrgh Oblivon sux ass Morrownd all teh wai" garbage all the other Oblivion/TES-related threads have devolved into.

FOOTNOTE: The above is not intended as a slight on the opinions of people who really do think Oblivion sucked - it's more intended as a slight on the fact that said folks can't seem to keep it civil or, in some cases, coherent.

That, and I'd honestly like to see a Hey-let's-talk-about-Oblivion-because-we-actually-enjoy-playing-it thread NOT become everyone-who-posts-in-this-thread-hates-Oblivion-and-we-chased-off-the-people-who-enjoy-playing-the-game.

Typing with dashes is hard.

I'll admit, yes, the setting is rather bland and generic. So? Personally, I don't care. Considering how moddable the game is, if that's really so much of a problem, there's bucketloads of mods out there to deal with that.

As for it not holding to TES lore, well, Oblivion was the first TES-related thing I'd ever encountered, so...I really don't care about that.

* dragonshardz shuts up because he is actually starting the downward decline.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 12:49:38 am »

I'll admit, yes, the setting is rather bland and generic. So? Personally, I don't care. Considering how moddable the game is, if that's really so much of a problem, there's bucketloads of mods out there to deal with that.
OMG /RAGE/ JUZT CUZ MOD FIX DUN MEEN NO bROkE!

Heh. Yeah, lets not devolve into that.

FCOM looks nice, but I keep messing up when installing it, and its hard finding the right versions of mods that work work with FCOM if they have since upgraded.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 12:51:05 am »

I DO care about the decline of lore, but I still do love Oblivon. It was my introduction to TES series and made me check out Daggerfall and Morrowind which I also love. I'll admit, I'm not a BIG fan of the mainquest, though parts where enjoyable, but I adore most of the guild questlines, the Dark Brotherhood and Theives guild questlines esspecially. Wiith the the DB, I laughed, I had fun, I mourned the loss of my sanctuary brothers and sisters who I enjoyed as characters, and I just had fun. Theives guild? I just loved sneaking around and swipeing stuff, plus some of the quests where very entertaining both from a story standpoint and just from playing them
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 01:41:18 am »

Well, its still worth a try. My chip is horrible, and only an average amount of ram (6 gigs). Of course you can turn the shading effects off :)
could you give me a screenshot of your settings at work?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 02:48:25 am »

Sure :)

Inn of Ill Omen:

Scratch that. Went through this big process to let oblivion make screenshots, and it only gives me a bunch of corrupted BMP files when I press print screen. Huh. It looks nearly the same as a console version of Oblivion.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 03:13:11 am »

I don't play with any mods to be honest, as I've mentioned in other threads I've never used a mod in my life, but I still enjoyed the game, I never saw much of the hype so the game wasn't ruined for me becouse of it, and it made me look into the older elder scrolls games which I also now enjoy alot. I have to say though I enjoy the game far more with Shivering Isles than just normal, the surroundings are more interesting and Sheogorath is both funny and disturbing in equal parts. As I've mentioned to other people, I'm not sure if I should find it funny or creepy that the madgod has a scottish accent.
Technically Shivering Isles is a mod, even if it's called an expansion. :P

It was far more awesome than the rest of Oblivion, since it had a far more of Morrowind's awesome alien aesthetic going on.

I recall the Open Cities mod also included an option to use a version of... Leyawiin I believe it was, that looked more like the original concept art. It turned Leyawiin from the shittiest town into the most awesome one, and looked like something ripped straight from Morrowind's organic, beautiful town layouts.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 03:37:09 am »

Dude, you have no idea what you're missing out on. =p
Pages: [1] 2 3 4