Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines Expand and discuss  (Read 12009 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines Expand and discuss
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »

I think the book I'm checking is from 2004, atleast the copyright says so as i didn't find the print date.

It's really only a "viable choice" if you can handle being a pariah to the entirety of organized Kindred, which is difficult unless maybe you're in an area under Sabbat control... but then you have other problems.
I'm not certain, but I would assume that vampires in general resides in large cities, where loners resides in smaller cities or possibly the countryside depending on circumstances.
So during the year(s) when ones aura is tainted you return to your a prepared residence to avoid attention with ghouls to serve.

Well, If all goes as planned. Perhaps a werewolf finds you or you succumbs to addiction.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2011, 09:10:07 pm »

It's definitely possible, but keep in mind that's all predicated on you getting away with murder (in fact, worse-than-murder) in the first place, and of someone almost certainly higher up on the totem pole than you. Doing that is hard in the first place.

And, of course, if anybody ever suspects you, they could send you on a trip to the drug-testing facility Tremere to get tested.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2011, 09:30:45 pm »

One would spend up to a year searching for a suitable target, each time in a new city, and then carefully plan for a way to force the target into torpor as it is actually better if the victim does not have any vitae left.
after that transporting the incapacitated vampire to a safer location for diablerie and finaly to try to cast of any trails so that you can return to your safehouse without having human detectives track you.
I guess the major problem would lie in that the camarilla would soon inform its counterpart in other cities that you have slain one of theirs.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2011, 10:06:20 pm »

I don't know why, but I've felt compelled to reinstall this. However, having played through it twice (one non-Malkavian run, followed by a Malkavian run), I've gone looking for mods for it, but not really found any decent repository or list. I know about the unofficial patch, but what else is there?

Surely some of you have used mods other than the unofficial patch? Or at least know of some manner of repository or list that's still up? Or is the unofficial patch really all that's worth bothering with?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »

Did you use a recent version of the patch? If not, check it out and look at whatever changes have been made since you last played.

Regarding mods, see here.

I looked at some mods, but none of them seemed... that great. There's the Camarilla Edition, which has a lot of balance changes and weird shit I don't like (spend money on your computer to raise skills! wow!), the Clan Quest mod (questionable clan-specific quests along with questionable voice-acting), some basic gameplay change/balance mods that are interesting in their own right but probably aren't what you're looking for, and some other probably-unfinished mods that have their own weird and ill-considered design decisions. Oh, and some sort of companion mod... that lets you possess your companions and sire your own vampire children for some godawful reason.

In my last game, I installed Wesp's patch (the Plus installation), and made some changes similar to those of the P&P mod, nearly eliminating feed-healing, slowing down auto-healing, adding stamina/2 to lethal soak for vampires (although it rounds in a weird manner), and lowering blood cost for certain disciplines while greatly increasing the duration of most/all of the passive disciplines. Along with getting rid of the annoying sounds that certain disciplines make while active (stupid-ass Obfuscate whispers), and some of the visual effects (like the Potence electro-fists, Obfuscate blur effect, and so forth, partly because they are stupid and partly because the machine I'm playing it on doesn't handle the particle effects well).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:23:44 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2011, 10:43:04 pm »

Diablerie specks last for a year and a day.  (before the reboot).

It used to be the plotline for a lot of Sabbat games... You've heard rumors of a tough old bastard, go kill and eat him.

Diablerie was a genius move on the designers part, because it institutionalized the thing that everybody would do if they thought they could get away with it, but all the people in power had a vested interest in making sure that everyone knew they'd get punished for it.  In one simple rule, they set the tone for all of vampire society.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2011, 10:55:41 pm »

I haven't actually used the unofficial patch yet, because it's 170 MB, and I have extremely shitty internet... I'll see if I can't manage to download it.

Thanks though, I figured the situation was probably something like that, but you never know.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2011, 10:58:24 pm »

I would never recommend playing without the unofficial patch. Bloodlines is a notoriously buggy game, even with the official patch.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2011, 11:05:34 pm »

I already played through it more or less twice (played through to Chinatown with a Ventrue, then got bored and restarted with a Malkavian, which I played all the way through to the end). I've got the latest unofficial one downloading now though. Maybe it'll have finished by some time tomorrow... :-\

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2011, 03:00:30 am »

Regarding Diablerie, wasn't there a mage who became a vampire through diablerie? I remember seeing a power chart and the things that stuck out were that and one guy who I think went from a 7 to a 5. Don't remember what book it was from though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2011, 03:45:15 am »

The Tremere clan came about through a mage organization delving into blood magic and preparing some kind of wacky vampire blood potion that turned them into vampires. Then Tremere, their leader, diablerized Saulot (an antediluvian), in order to become an antediluvian (in power) himself.

Of course, that sort of diablerie isn't the kind of thing any typical vampire would ever find himself in a position to do, any more than the guy who mops the floor at Denny's would have occasion to become dictator of a new Russian state. Probably less, even.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2011, 06:29:22 am »

Based on what I saw in VTMB, a lot of vampires are quite willing to diablerize their way to power if they think they can get away with it. Prince LaCroix would have eaten the guy inside the Ankaran Sarcophagus without a second thought if it hadn't been for [spoilers]. I guess the equation is something like "will diablerizing this guy give me enough power to kick the asses of everyone who might try to hunt me down for it?" If you manage to take out something like a Tzimisce reigning over a small nation of his own, well, you now have your own small nation and there's nobody nearby who both gives a shit and is in a position to do something about it. As for the soul corruption thing, well, that's a risk some are willing to take.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2011, 05:07:52 pm »

I am once again saddened that the Werewolf game never quite came into being.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2011, 05:26:18 pm »

Based on what I saw in VTMB, a lot of vampires are quite willing to diablerize their way to power if they think they can get away with it.

This situation is slightly different, as they thought there was an Antediluvian inside, not just some generic Old Vampire Dude. If people think an Antediluvian is involved, all bets are off, because people will take insane risks to get a piece of that. That's how new clans are formed.

Prince LaCroix would have eaten the guy inside the Ankaran Sarcophagus without a second thought

To be fair here, Prince LaCroix is something of a buffoon. He's a power-hungry jerkass nobody really takes seriously, even some of the other local Camarilla. He's basically a doomed fool no matter how you slice it.

But yeah, you can't really compare diablerie in general to the diablerie of an Antediluvian; that's like comparing robbing a bank to stealing the Holy Grail or the Ark of the Covenant. Munching an antediluvian is the closest a vampire can ever get to a ticket to godhood.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2011, 11:16:54 pm »

My first experience with Vampire LARPing, I was 'the new guy' who had no idea what was going on, so they made me a Sabbat infiltrator.  Two games in, the local Archbishop (7th gen, and one of the STs major villains) fell unconscious at my feet as part of a running battle with a Werewolf (the last of the White Fangs, to show you how cheeseball this game was).

So, my third game, I was an 7th gen vampire in control of all of the bad guys in the city.  (The STs were... pretty bad, green mostly)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8