Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Before there can be war, there will be... Bugfixes!  (Read 17257 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Before there can be war, there will be... Bugfixes!
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2011, 09:02:27 pm »

Indeed, it seems as though there are many people who do not understand the difference between a bug and an inadequate feature.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2011, 09:40:08 pm »

Indeed, it seems as though there are many people who do not understand the difference between a bug and an inadequate feature.
The difference being that other games have bugs and Dwarf Fortress has inadequate features.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2011, 10:10:45 pm »

The difference being that other games have bugs and Dwarf Fortress has inadequate features.

Dwarf Fortress doesn't have bugs? Are you serious? Yes, there's a difference between bugs and inadequate features (and other things on the spectrum as well), but Dwarf Fortress doesn't have bugs?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2011, 10:19:52 pm »

Yeah, Acorn Flies count as bugs, right?  We aren't totally missing the insect spectrum of creatures?

... What?  Oh, I thought you meant...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2011, 10:21:44 pm »

Heh, it isn't so much that Dwarf Fortress doesn't have bugs as to how alot of the players don't see them as bugs, more as "inadequate features" - like when it sometimes accidentally rained magma:
"Oh crap, my dwarves are melting! If I put them inside however... and use this magma rain to kill off migrants/nobles/goblins... its basically just a new form of fortress defense!"
Or an excuse to use !!SCIENCE!!:
"Oh crap, that dwarf melted outside... I wonder if I put a baby out there... Yep, still melting... what about a mother/baby combo? Hmm, still melting, but the mother seems to be using the baby as an umbrella... GO !!SCIENCE!!"

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2011, 11:34:57 pm »

I very much hope this was purely an attempt at humor, rather than due t actually failing to understand.

Heh, it isn't so much that Dwarf Fortress doesn't have bugs as to how alot of the players don't see them as bugs, more as "inadequate features" - like when it sometimes accidentally rained magma:
"Oh crap, my dwarves are melting! If I put them inside however... and use this magma rain to kill off migrants/nobles/goblins... its basically just a new form of fortress defense!"
Or an excuse to use !!SCIENCE!!:
"Oh crap, that dwarf melted outside... I wonder if I put a baby out there... Yep, still melting... what about a mother/baby combo? Hmm, still melting, but the mother seems to be using the baby as an umbrella... GO !!SCIENCE!!"
It seems that you have failed to understand. That's a bug. It is due to an error in coding. Whether people like it or not is irrelevant. An inadequate feature would be, for example, the cave ins, which do not behave realistically, but they do not do so because the code for that does not exist, rather than due to some error within that code.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2011, 03:15:20 am »

I see difference between !!fun!! and ??fun?? (random crashes, 1 FPS due to ghost - and without ability to engrave slab etc)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2011, 03:44:21 am »

Dwarf Fortress doesn't have bugs? Are you serious? Yes, there's a difference between bugs and inadequate features (and other things on the spectrum as well), but Dwarf Fortress doesn't have bugs?
I very much hope this was purely an attempt at humor, rather than due t actually failing to understand.
JOKE.
Yes, I know DF has a lot of bugs. But considering the way the community reacts to utterly reality-raping bugs (turning them into fortress defense, justifying them with DORF FISICS LOL), they might as well be official features. Though I can't think of any off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a few bugs out there that should never be fixed due to their pure awesomeness.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2011, 03:39:19 pm »

@Crux
Apologies that my sarcasm did not come across, I am very much aware that its a bug, just saying that DF players tend to just adapt to them as use them as metaphorical "inadequate features", not that they LITERALLY are.
I assumed the OP of the comment meant something similar?

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2011, 01:52:56 am »

Just so you'll stop guessing about bug counts (Mantis only):

There are currently 1841 bugs reports open and being reviewed in some form.  Some of them can be resolved in some fashion.  Some of them are only open because they offer further info on other reports.  Rest assured we are working on them.

Of the others:
328 have been fixed.
11 are reopened for further review.
151 were unable to be reproduced.
4 are not fixable (such as technical issues or they are no longer valid)
1106 are duplicates (search is your friend!  but understand it is sometimes not possible to know it is a duplicate until after some research is done)
484 had no change required (misunderstanding of the systems, working as intended, etc.).
3 are suspended (due to removed features such as the arsenal dwarf)
6 won't be fixed (due to rewrites of the underlying systems, etc.)

The current average time for a bug report to be resolved in some fashion is 28 days.  The longest open and resolved report was 306 days and only because it was missed being marked when it was originally fixed (9 versions ago).

You also have to understand that some heavy rewriting of major systems is ongoing (caravans/trade/economy) and some of these bugs simply will not be worked on and will probably become obsolete when we get to those new systems.

You can help out by becoming more familiar with Mantis and writing good bug reports.

Instead of fretting over things you can't control, you should take some time and read through the great stuff that is coming in the next release - Current Development, Future of the Fortress Posts 1, 2.

And always remember to show your support.

If you have particular questions or concerns, feel free to PM me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:18:10 am by Dwarfu »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2011, 02:20:53 am »

While I'm sure that seeing that bugs are being worked upon will mollify some of the concerns of the people in this thread, I'm not sure that a thread where people are venting their grievences with the game is necessarily the most effective place to put an advertisement for the donations system.  :P
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2011, 02:30:47 am »

Meh, this thread is fairly informative and lighthearted.  People are answering the OP with their thoughts - it is exactly what a forum is for.  If you are happy with the game you should donate.  If you are unhappy with the current state of the game, you should also donate to show your support for continued development.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2011, 02:51:57 am »

Funny how I can't seem to find a "don't donate" option in that logic.

Ah well, I was planning on making another donation soon, anyway.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2011, 03:05:20 am »

See?  You got it figured out.

I feel that if people are on here posting their grievances, as you put it, then they are passionate about this game.  While they may be discouraged at any given point, they do actually want to see it continue and get better.  I can't imagine someone lingering about posting about a game they hate and never want to play anymore...

I've been waiting for this game ever since I first played Pong.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2011, 03:28:25 am »

1106 are duplicates (search is your friend!  but understand it is sometimes not possible to know it is a duplicate until after some research is done)

just to be fair:
1 mantis search is a horrible, horrible thing
2 too much synonyms and variations on stuff aggravate 1

seriously, I do this for living and I managed to create at least two duplicates.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9