Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Before there can be war, there will be... Bugfixes!  (Read 17238 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Before there can be war, there will be... Bugfixes!
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2011, 03:39:40 am »

I'll give you #2, but that is true for any system.

I don't understand why people have such problems with the search - it is pretty detailed and you can usually find exactly what you are looking for by typing one word.  Can you give me an example of a particular search you had problems with?

EDIT:  Actually, PM me if you will, no need to derail the thread.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:39:06 am by Dwarfu »

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2011, 01:19:20 pm »

What was that quote again?
"Dwarf Fortress doesn't have bugs, just unintended features."
It was in someones signature at some time.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2011, 03:06:52 pm »

Meh, this thread is fairly informative and lighthearted.  People are answering the OP with their thoughts - it is exactly what a forum is for.  If you are happy with the game you should donate.  If you are unhappy with the current state of the game, you should also donate to show your support for continued development.
What if I am unhappy with the current state of the game, and even unhappier to see the development taking it even further down this path?  What if I would rather see the game fixed to the point where I don't have to babysit the overly complex military(where we still have outstanding bugs) and where I don't have to babysit the overly complex healthcare system(which also has plenty of outstanding bugs)?  What if I would like to see those bugs fixed, rather than yet another overly complex system being added?  What was it, 6 new professions for ceramics?  Great, finally I can play SimPottery..while carefully avoiding the bugs in that new system as well as all the old ones.  And let's not forget about beekeeping, whee!

Where do I donate if I would like Toady to fix the bugs he's introducing, rather than just tacking on more nonsense-systems to add to the bugcount with?  Because right now, donating amounts to providing an incentive to continue things the way they are, except with more beekeeping and a fancier caravan-system.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2011, 03:45:17 pm »

lol!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I only hope for "spatter" cleanup fixes and hospital fixes.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2011, 03:52:30 pm »

Meh, this thread is fairly informative and lighthearted.  People are answering the OP with their thoughts - it is exactly what a forum is for.  If you are happy with the game you should donate.  If you are unhappy with the current state of the game, you should also donate to show your support for continued development.
What if I am unhappy with the current state of the game, and even unhappier to see the development taking it even further down this path?  What if I would rather see the game fixed to the point where I don't have to babysit the overly complex military(where we still have outstanding bugs) and where I don't have to babysit the overly complex healthcare system(which also has plenty of outstanding bugs)?  What if I would like to see those bugs fixed, rather than yet another overly complex system being added?  What was it, 6 new professions for ceramics?  Great, finally I can play SimPottery..while carefully avoiding the bugs in that new system as well as all the old ones.  And let's not forget about beekeeping, whee!

Where do I donate if I would like Toady to fix the bugs he's introducing, rather than just tacking on more nonsense-systems to add to the bugcount with?  Because right now, donating amounts to providing an incentive to continue things the way they are, except with more beekeeping and a fancier caravan-system.

Mmmm.  Yes, you see, Dwarfu, when I was saying that this might not be a good place to advertise the donations system, it was more j0nas and madciol I was thinking of, rather than the people who only posted once saying that repairing the rotting system and hospitals were their biggest concerns.

Actually, I wonder if it might be possible to do something like that...  I sense a theme that some players really love to anticipate things like adding bees to the game in a short-term release schedule that adds as many "neat little toys" to the game as fast as possible, while other players are more focused upon long-term game development, and want to see the resolution of bugs and completion of complex game arcs that add significantly to gameplay, even at the expense of very long periods of time between game versions.  Perhaps actually having different running tallies for donations from different camps might prove a possible way to help Toady decide how to balance these things? 

(Or, you know, maybe it might just exacerbate the differences between those camps by actively declaring people announce their loyalties to one side or the other...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2011, 04:33:35 pm »

This thread isn't about donations, I merely provided a link.  Please open a new thread to discuss donations if you want.

Everyone has right to post here in whatever regard they wish as long as they remain civil and on topic.  No need to point out specific people.  The dev page is up - people can read into it or expect it to be different, but there it is and it will continue on as it has until the next time it is changed.

To remain on topic:

I also would like to see some hospital fixes as I tend to play long term forts and there are already an infinite number of ways to kill everything, so I'd like to see some 'living' options.
Followed by military, since that was the last great addition, even though it isn't much of a priority with my specific forts.
Spatter is certainly up there, as one of my dwarfs cleaned themselves at the well and everyone else (including all 18 children in the fort) that didn't have shoes walked through it and died.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2011, 06:49:19 pm »

Remind people to donate.
Defend donations when questioned.
This thread isn't about donations, I merely provided a link.  Please open a new thread to discuss donations if you want.
You bring it up, defend it, then when questioned further suddenly you turn into Mr. Moderator and tell people to stop talking about it?  That's rich.  Next time, why don't *you* open a new thread to discuss donations instead of barging in and blurting out nonsense about it, then telling *us* to stop talking about it when we reply to you.

Don't donate, delete DF from your computer (or go back to 40d), and go talk shit on the Minecraft forums (I hear it's a popular passtime for disgruntled DF players, anyway).  None of this is news.. It's been well known since the beginning of the 31.x release cycle that Toady would begin working in feature arcs with bugfixing in between each completed arc.  While Toady One often listens to suggestions from the community, he isn't under any obligation to do so.  So unfortunately there's no way to donate to directly control his behavior, though many obviously wish Toady One was a coin-operated programming robot where "my donation" = "my command".

There was another thread where I stated something similar to this, but one of the things I really, really like about this being a free game developed via donations is that means Toady One doesn't owe anyone anything, not even a completed game or a game without bugs, and that means he's completely unfettered from the (often ridiculous/stupid) whims of the players.  Some of the entitlement I've seen expressed in these forums is so abhorrently cretinous that I wouldn't hold it against Toady One to just say "Fuck it," get a work-a-day job, and stop developing the game and never release the source.  I donate because I like what's already been done, not because I intend to exert control over Toady's priorities or the future of the project.
I can't say I really care whether or not my opinion suits you, but the only way I can influence Toady to do things that would, in my opinion, improve the game immensely, is for me to post my thoughts here in the hopes that they will be heard by the developers, and that other posters might agree with me.  To reply to that by insulting us, putting words in our collective mouths and telling us 'stop playing DF and go play with the immature kids instead lolz' seems like the very definition of irony.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:54:28 pm by j0nas »

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2011, 07:42:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that's pretty much all I will ever say again on this subject in this thread.  Apologies for the derail.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2011, 01:17:35 am »

No problem making suggestions, and certainly we're ALL looking forward to our "favorite" bugs being squashed, but the idea that you have any right (let alone power) to exert control over the development arc of this piece of software (given how it's been produced and distributed) exposes a ridiculous sense of entitlement that really has no business being associated with this particular game.
Now you're just being plain silly.  First you assert that there's no problem with anyone making suggestions, and then you go on to state that when I make suggestions, I have 'no right to exert control' and that I have a 'ridiculous sense of entitlement'.

I obviously can't speak for Toady, so he may really take complaints like these to heart.  But if that's the case, I wish he wouldn't.  I'd prefer him to nuke every last copy in existence.
It is pretty clear from how these forums are moderated that Toady doesn't share your weird 'agree with me or all your posts should be deleted forever you insolent pleb' attitude, which was childish when I replied to your last post, and remains childish now.

And that's pretty much all I will ever say again on this subject in this thread.  Apologies for the derail.
Yes, the old 'Im not listening to anything you say anymore now, neener neener' argument.  I consider myself truly told.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2011, 01:21:19 pm »

This discussion is leading to nowhere, is it?

Everyone wants bugs fixed. One group of people are pessimistic, one group of people is optimistic.

These two groups ruin eachother's moods with the expression of their opinion. Arguments happen. Apparantly strawman arguements are constructed, and if they aren't they will be called strawman arguements(beause TBH, neither group is very respectful to the other). People who are in the middle get slaughtered.

When such a discussion happens, there's not much else you can do to reach comprimise other then to just stop discussing it.

So in short, let's get back on topic and stop this? Because I'm pretty sure we'll only get pissed off at each other otherwise, and I don't know, it's not exactly my idea of productiveness.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2011, 03:32:12 pm »

Locked thread a-comin'. Mah left socket is actin' up. Better get in while the gettin' is gottable.

Fix the hospitals, make the military interface more accessible, make pathfinding more efficient if possible to maximize FPS, keep atom smashers OR add a way to easily dispose of unwanted items, fix the fact that stone is listed with all the metal ores and bring back dungeon masters.

This game is in alpha and no software is perfect. There should be more bugs in it than there are in the Amazon. As of right now it is playable and fun. Deal with it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:35:12 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2011, 07:49:21 am »

I feel your pain, J0nas. Right now, my biggest concern with the game aren't specific bugs, it's the general user unfriendliness and unusability. I've played one fortress in DF2010 so far to try the new features but I can't bring myself to play any more. The DF2010 was for me the point where Dwarf Fortress crossed the line between "user-unfriendly" and "unplayable". The military interface is a pain, controlling the healthcare also, etc. And every new feature that gets added just makes it worse.

Coupled with it is the horrible slowness of the game. I thought 40d was bad, but DF2010 takes it to a new level. Even if I'm using DFhack to clean all the contaminants from the floor and the "boiling point fix" to clear them from items and dwarves, the game eventually hits <5 FPS in a couple of years. I'm aware there are some tactics to prevent it, like a specific fortress planning or atom smashing stones, but that sounds extremely unfun and a horrible chore I refuse to do just to be able to play the game.

I'm also horribly disappointed by the new combat/material system that works strangely at best, is extremely unbalanced and overall feels worse than the 40d one.

So basically, while DF2010 brought a plenty of cool features that made me excited (caverns, forgotten beasts...), it has also made the game unplayable for me. I've been a fan of Dwarf Fortress since 2008 but I've spent the last year not playing, merely watching the development and hoping for good news. But the current direction doesn't give me much hope.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2011, 02:12:37 pm »

Sometimes I feel the pain too, but I try not to let it bother me because, well, although the game is awesome and I want to be able to play the perfect version of it, one guy gives us this game, essentially for free.
That isn't to say you don't have a valid point(s) though, personally, the main issue that bugs me is the FPS, because you really do have to design your whole fort around maximising FPS if you want to keep it going. And below 10 it isn't really a playable game for me, because it just takes to long to do things. And I like to do things in a game.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2011, 02:42:04 pm »

nothing
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:45:19 pm by LoSboccacc »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2011, 05:56:40 pm »

If I could try to mediate a little...

(I've got some experience with conflict resolution... thanks in no small part to participating in a great deal of conflicts.)

To drvoke, and others who are obviously upset at j0nas's tone and what he has said about Toady, I would have to say this:

Try to stop looking at what j0nas is saying as a statement that can be measured as being either a true or false statement, and instead as a strategy, or a tactic as part of a strategy.  j0nas has actually pretty explicitly stated what his/her goal is, and what his/her tactics are:

I can't say I really care whether or not my opinion suits you, but the only way I can influence Toady to do things that would, in my opinion, improve the game immensely, is for me to post my thoughts here in the hopes that they will be heard by the developers, and that other posters might agree with me.  To reply to that by insulting us, putting words in our collective mouths and telling us 'stop playing DF and go play with the immature kids instead lolz' seems like the very definition of irony.

Setting aside the harshness of tone, j0nas is lobbying for improvements in this game.  A game that j0nas obviously does love, because if j0nas did not, and had this many complaints and was so frustrated, then j0nas already would have just abandoned the game and played something else by now. 

Setting aside the harshness of tone, j0nas is right - he/she doesn't really have many other options for venting his/her frustrations. 

Put simply, j0nas is frustrated with the game as it is in its current state, and worries that there will not be improvements made, and that his/her opinion on this doesn't matter.  Your response to this worry that his/her opinion doesn't matter is to say that, in fact, his/her opinion is invalid, and as such, doesn't matter.  I hope you can see how this doesn't exactly make a very effective means of convincing j0nas that he/she shouldn't voice the concerns he/she has...

Many of the things j0nas has said have been ad hominem attacks.  To reprove j0nas for these things, and try to guide j0nas away from these tactics in the future is not wrong, but remember that while ad hominem attacks are a logical fallacy, so too is declaring that just because someone who has made a logical fallacy in their argument must obviously be wrong about everything else they are saying, as well. 

If you want to calm the rhetoric down, the first thing you have to do is to try to find what the root concern they are voicing comes from, and try to convince them that they are, in fact, being listened to, and that their opinions are valid, but that it is merely their tactics that are incorrect.

To j0nas and madciol and the less vocal people who share some of their frustrations:

You, too, should stop and evaluate your argument from a less in-the-heat-of-things emotional standpoint, and from a more aloof, strategic standpoint, and re-evaluate what your true goals are, and what the most efficient ways of achieving those goals are.

You cannot change someone's emotionally charged desire to defend something they love with an emotionally charged attack upon that thing.  It only turns you into some sort of dehumanized enemy other or monster or "over-entitled jerkass fanboy" that has come from nowhere to destroy that thing they love when looked at from their point of view. 

If someone is still able to be excited about the game, and what its future iterations will be, and look forward to some of the new toys in the game, like honeybees or pottery, then they aren't going to look upon these things being added into the game as a bad thing, or as a waste while Toady is ignoring "The Real Problems".  To them, those problems aren't so bad, and the honeybees really are that good.  Dismissing them in disgust for thinking so is no better than their dissmissing you in disgust for your grievances, and equally as frustrating.

Trying to work out your frustrations by "convincing" an indefatiguable supply of opponents on the Internet that their emotional biases are invalid, while your emotional biases are valid is pretty much the most counter-productive means of reducing your stress ever devised. 

You should instead be working to talk about why your claims are legitimate, and build sympathy even among those people who do not believe that many of the bugs are that bad so that the fans of the game will grudgingly agree that they can sit tight with what enjoyable new features they already have, and let work continue on repairing the broken aspects of the game, rather than adding new things on.

To start with, perhaps you really should go and try to get together a donation drive that lets people state what aspects of the game they want to see most improved.  It would not only give you a literal means of putting your money where your mouth is, but would give Toady a good indication of where the balance of player concerns are leaning.  It would let you have that voice that you want to be heard have a means of getting heard.

OK, now that that's settled, you can all dismiss me a "hippy hug-the-world elf" or something, and go back to tearing each other's throats out.  Have fun!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9