Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: The Bay12 72-Hour Roguelike Contest - February Theme: "The Director"  (Read 16009 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: The Bay12 72-Hour Roguelike Contest - February Theme: "The Director"
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2011, 02:28:41 pm »

Can I get away with allocating my 72 hours split over the daylight parts of 3 to 4 weekends? Or is it cheating to make time for sleep and basic hygiene?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

salmonjockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2011, 03:02:11 pm »

Can I get away with allocating my 72 hours split over the daylight parts of 3 to 4 weekends? Or is it cheating to make time for sleep and basic hygiene?

In my opinion, splitting up into anything less than 1 day increments is silly.

As I think I already said before, a 72-hour competition, split as you please, could easily encompass an entire months worth of programming.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2011, 05:19:52 pm »

Just call it the 3-day challenge, then.

Which *is* a challenge...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »

Well count me out. It seems every game programming competition in the universe takes place between mid January and the end of February.
1. project for GSD3 due by the end of Feb.
2. game jam @ rit
3. students only game jam @ rit (the two are not mutually exclusive, and the second has the potential to score me a summer Co-op job; also free food)
4. Kongregate's Unity3D competition, the sheer amount of prize money makes me want to try learning Unity3D.
5. And of course this one on bay12.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2011, 10:36:07 pm »

I'll count you out... this time! There's enough interest here that it looks like this could be a monthly/every-other-monthly thing.

Also, I'm totally going to try to learn Unity3D just for that contest. XP

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2011, 11:44:36 pm »

I really won't be able to compete due to time issues, but I think I have been inspired to get down and do a little something.

Edit: so last night I decided to sit down and do something with this inspiration. I wanted to produce a terrain generator and possibly path finder. Instead I was up till 2 am writing a modular plugin interface capable of loading and executing tools for creating, modifying and processing maps for any purpose. It is actually pretty cool because someone using this tool can just put any class implementing the right interface in the plugins directory and it will automatically detect, load, then generate help and a configuration file for that plugin.

But it isn't making a game. It isn't even making tools for making a game. It was making tools to make tools to make a game, maybe, eventually.

BTW, anyone planning on using java?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:34:00 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

salmonjockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2011, 06:33:15 pm »

Personally, I find using java for game development about as productive as filling my shoes with rusty barbed wire before I go jogging. I would imagine no barbed wire would serve me better. The same goes for C or C++ or whatever low level language people are still using when there are so much more expressive and pragmatic alternatives. (Yeah, Java and C++ are low level these days, at least in my book.)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2011, 06:48:19 pm »

Personally, I find using java for game development about as productive as filling my shoes with rusty barbed wire before I go jogging. I would imagine no barbed wire would serve me better. The same goes for C or C++ or whatever low level language people are still using when there are so much more expressive and pragmatic alternatives. (Yeah, Java and C++ are low level these days, at least in my book.)
So what do you use, then? I'm always interested in learning new languages.

salmonjockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2011, 07:01:25 pm »

So what do you use, then? I'm always interested in learning new languages.

Python, of course. But. Eh. Yeah, I shouldn't have mentioned this in here anyway. Programming language talk too easily derails any thread into oblivion. So at least this is my last contribution to it :)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2011, 07:11:13 pm »

I really won't be able to compete due to time issues, but I think I have been inspired to get down and do a little something.

Edit: so last night I decided to sit down and do something with this inspiration. I wanted to produce a terrain generator and possibly path finder. Instead I was up till 2 am writing a modular plugin interface capable of loading and executing tools for creating, modifying and processing maps for any purpose. It is actually pretty cool because someone using this tool can just put any class implementing the right interface in the plugins directory and it will automatically detect, load, then generate help and a configuration file for that plugin.

But it isn't making a game. It isn't even making tools for making a game. It was making tools to make tools to make a game, maybe, eventually.

I know how it feels. I've just spent half an hour on trying to write a macro which would generate move functions for me if I fed it a move name, a creature's variable and what to do with the variable. That didn't look pretty at all, so in the end I ripped it out and replaced it with a generic move function that just moves a creature to the specified position if possible. I'll probably define the eight primary move functions as calls to this function with specified parameters and keep this one around for teleportation and stuff. I'll probably have to redefine it again soon because it's now checking for the edges of a map while I am planning to make maps seamlessly tileable, but at least I'll only have to change 1 function as opposed to 8.

My try prior to this got bogged down because I tried to define custom keymappings (ooh shiny) even before I had a walking @...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:14:17 pm by Virex »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2011, 03:57:57 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hey thanks guys! You have unwittingly helped me find an obvious error in my code (not working as intended) that I have spent about an hour trying to figure out! I was seconds away from posting it here for help, and it jumped out at me! See if you can spot it?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2011, 04:22:27 am »

...I can't spot it. :P

Which reminds me. For all of you who used the Python & Libtcod tutorial: I was working on an AI testing project recently, and noticed that when I had more than, say, 5 actors, the program slowed down considerably. I soon pinpointed it in the FoV code and sped it up considerably. What I did was, instead of iterating through the entire list of actors for every actor checking their field of view, I told the actors to update the map array with their position every tick. It seems to work so far, and I've been using it in my other projects, but my question to any more experienced programmers: are any horrible problems with this immediately apparent to you? It seems too much faster to be true. :P

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2011, 08:33:49 am »

The error was mutliplying 'range' by 100, instead of 10, basically I could only 'detect' when on the same tile ... it was bending my head proper why it wouldn't work.

Could you explain further biag? I'm not sure I fully understand?

Currently I am mapping the results of each actors fov check on to a seperate map-sized 'array' (or 2-d list), one for each team. They get marked true if a team member can see it, and remain false if no-one can, so I get a seperate 'intersected' array, which I can use interrogate for visibility. I process these and collate these once a 'turn'.

Are you only keeping track of the positions of the actors? How do you know what bits of the map your actors can 'see'?

Sorry if I sound dumb, i'm not sure I understand, and a neater solution would interest me?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2011, 01:40:20 pm »

A better explanation: every tick, before the AI/movement code, every actor updates map[actor.x][actor.y].contents to include itself, "contents" being a list of everything in the tile. Then, in the FoV code, the actor goes through however many tiles are a certain distance away from it, and draws its list of potential targets from the tile's contents.

The thing I like about this is- well, it's much faster than the original code, but other than that- it feels more like a 'sense' than the old code did. Before, I was having every actor look at every other actor and compare their positions to every tile in its field of view. The new code doesn't access the variables of another actor at all, let alone the ones that the active one shouldn't know about. It's a purely aesthetic preference, since it doesn't really affect much, but I like it.

The way I determine what parts of the map they're looking at is simple. It ends up with squares, rather than circles, but I can live with that for now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10