Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: The Bay12 72-Hour Roguelike Contest - February Theme: "The Director"  (Read 16017 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 72-Hour Roguelike Contest - February Theme: "The Director"
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 03:32:32 pm »

Can I use bash and dialog for this? Using bash would mean you could only play the game on Unix machines, and adding dialog (for some cute menuconfig-like menus) would mean it'd work on Linux only, or maybe OS X as well, if it's comes with dialog.

Should work via Cygwin on Windoze as well. I know bash is ported, not certain about dialog but I imagine it is.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

salmonjockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 05:47:42 pm »

Can I use bash and dialog for this? Using bash would mean you could only play the game on Unix machines, and adding dialog (for some cute menuconfig-like menus) would mean it'd work on Linux only, or maybe OS X as well, if it's comes with dialog.

Should work via Cygwin on Windoze as well. I know bash is ported, not certain about dialog but I imagine it is.

If I were on windows, I sure wouldn't install Cygwin for the off chance that it might run someone's 3-day RL.

Luckily I'm on linux. And developing with Python means I can probably port it to all platforms in a breeze.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 06:05:00 pm »

Hell you're lucky, most people either have python or know it's useful to have it around. I was planning to try my hands on this using Common Lisp, but asking people to download a Lisp implementation would probably get the same reaction as asking someone to download "thisisnotavirus.jpeg.exe" :P Oh well, I can always bake the environment into an executable and pass the large size off as super-high-res 8 bit artwork...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:39:34 pm by Virex »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 09:47:29 pm »

You probably wouldn't even need an excuse for the large size, since these days everyone is making bloated games... (XNA appears to have bloated Chime (and some others) by 1000%+, in useless files for each level that probably contain data that could easily be centrally located or generated at runtime)
Eh?
Eh!

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 03:09:50 am »

You probably wouldn't even need an excuse for the large size, since these days everyone is making bloated games... (XNA appears to have bloated Chime (and some others) by 1000%+, in useless files for each level that probably contain data that could easily be centrally located or generated at runtime)

Seriously, the games don't look better or play better, but they keep getting bigger and slower. Are people just worse at programming now?

I bet it's that the money has moved to management now so all the top talent has moved off in that direction.

Oh, and can I start early and just get an honorable mention if it's any good?
Signature goes here.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 06:25:28 am »

Yea, but some 30-odd mb is still pretty big for a roguelike. Luckily my test file (This program, which is 80 lines of code) seems to compress down into a 10 mb .zip file, so it's not too bad

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 07:27:37 am »

Yeah, me, too. I'm already rapidly getting to my 72 hour limit, so I might even skip that part, doubly disqualifying me (the current state is unplayable).

Another problem I noticed with AI's and a director-like game: it's much harder to catch these random segfaults I'm getting when everything is spawning/moving/thinking/performing at the same time.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 02:24:13 pm »

Hell you're lucky, most people either have python or know it's useful to have it around. I was planning to try my hands on this using Common Lisp, but asking people to download a Lisp implementation would probably get the same reaction as asking someone to download "thisisnotavirus.jpeg.exe" :P Oh well, I can always bake the environment into an executable and pass the large size off as super-high-res 8 bit artwork...
I think there was a GNU Lisp compiler at some point, no need for an interpreter or anything. (But, (why (use lisp))?)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 02:31:00 pm »

I think there was a GNU Lisp compiler at some point, no need for an interpreter or anything. (But, (why (use lisp))?)
Compilers are mandatory for any lisp implementation and there are many open-source implementations (SBCL doesn't even have the interpreter on by default). A compiled program still needs access to the framework though, because Lisp is all about producing functions on the fly, which is pretty much impossible without jit compilation or interpretation.
As to why Lisp, I try it because it's an interesting language to program in. It has a lot of functional influences, such as functions that generate functions and a precompiler that can generate code for you, yet it doesn't pin you completely to a functional style like Haskell would. (I realize the same would probably be true for Ocamel or Erlang, but as far as I know they don't have nearly as good a precompiler. Plus, I don't feel like switching languages now).
In other words
Code: [Select]
(defmacro standard-respons (keyword)
    `(format t "~{~a~}" '("Lisp can " ,keyword ". Can your programming language " ,keyword "?")))
(Granted, making it a function instead of a macro would've worked as well, but this is evaluated at compile-time to produce a piece of code that's inserted at the appropriate place)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:12:33 pm by Virex »

salmonjockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 04:20:01 pm »

Yeah, me, too. I'm already rapidly getting to my 72 hour limit, so I might even skip that part, doubly disqualifying me (the current state is unplayable).

I sort of expected this when a february competition is announced early January :)

If people are starting already, at least follow the rule about saying when you are starting so the deadline can be sort of monitored. Also, while I think no one objects to splitting up days, I don't think it's fair to split it up into hours (if that is even what you are doing). I mean, if I split my work up into hours, the 72-hour roguelike would equal 20 full days of programming work, at least for me.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone can enter, regardless of time used. Just state your own conditions.

Another problem I noticed with AI's and a director-like game: it's much harder to catch these random segfaults I'm getting when everything is spawning/moving/thinking/performing at the same time.

Ah segfaults. I'm not touching those with a ten foot pole. Whenever I do have to write a compiled program, I make sure it is an extremely small and well defined library I can test to death, and then use it through a programming language that actually TELLS me what goes wrong when something goes wrong :)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 05:09:04 pm »

It's only my second project in C++, it's teaching me loads of stuff I didn't touch before.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 06:26:36 pm »

I'll have to see how things go after the 5th of feb, have a real work project to kick out for ye olde Military Industrial Complex that is currently killing me with overwork and stress. But I would actually like to take a stab at a roguelike. If it doesn't work out, I'll probably just make a nice java pathfinding algorithm, because the library I mentioned earlier does only graphics and no ai unlike its php/c version.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 12:15:08 am »

Code: [Select]
################################################################################
##########..............########################################################
##########..............#################################..oo.o.......###...####
###.@...................#########.....###############..oo.o..o.ooo..o.###...####
###..o..............o...#####4o.......5....##########8o..o........oo.o###...####
###.o............oooo3#######.oo.....o.o...####.....#o................o9....####
###..o..........o############.o.ooo.o..o...####.....o...................o...####
###...o........o.#......#####o.....o..o..............o...................X..####
#####..o......o###......###.o..........o.............o...................#######
#####...o....oo###2.....###o............o............o...................#######
#####....o....o###o......##o.............o............o..................#######
##########oooo.ooo.oo.o.ooo...............o..........o...............###########
#########1o.....o.o..o.o...................o....o....o#####..........###########
#########...................................o.oo.oo..o####.....#################
#########...................##########.......6.....o..o.............############
###.........................####################....o.o.............############
###.........................####################.....7..............############
###.........................####################....................############
###................################################.......######################
################################################################################

Oh my this algorithm is fun.  Granted, I did a horrible job implementing it, and the drunken staggering as a consequence of diagonal movement is hilarious, but I like what I see.  I could have made things much slicker if I'd calculated a separate map for each goal instead of recalculating it every time a goal was met, but that still doesn't address the fact that I haven't made a proper flood-fill algorithm.  Regardless, this proof-of-proof-of-concept endeavor has given me the initiative to pursue this further.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 12:29:15 am »

Joining. Gonna get me back in the groove. Thinking you control an insectoid queen that lays eggs and produces pheremones to direct servants, and you defend a dungeon from marauding adventurers.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 01:36:47 am »

Joining. Gonna get me back in the groove. Thinking you control an insectoid queen that lays eggs and produces pheremones to direct servants, and you defend a dungeon from marauding adventurers.
:o that sounds very cool

i've been tinkering with C most of this week (been snowed in for most of it...) and after a lot of reading and thinking, i've got a hard-coded, empty level that you can walk your '@' around in.

(not really aiming towards a particular game at the moment, just "playing with the erector set" so to speak.)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10