Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best use of adamantine?  (Read 2911 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best use of adamantine?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 03:11:10 pm »

Bolts, just kidding, full suites of armor.  Your breastplate is worthless if you get hit in the leg and loose consciousness.  Do not make both breastplates and mail shirts if you plan for your dwarves to wear clothes underneath.  Remember to use custom uniforms.  Beware moods, no one wants an addy warhammer.  Forbid it if it happens.

While I'm thinking about it, an addy warhammer could be used to tickle prisoners to raise bludgeoning skill.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:13:16 pm by nordak »
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 03:18:09 pm »

Adamantine war hammers are perfect for your captain of the guard. :] twice now hes beat up people and merely caused wounds even though he is a legendary hammerdorf.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 03:46:41 pm »

Basically, just make metal armor out of adamantine as the cloth versions will degrade over time wasting your adamantine.  Use all that cloth the elves bring to make your gratuitous hoods and capes and mittens and socks.  Leave adamantine to make axes and spears and swords.  Also armor.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 04:17:25 pm »

I think that the best use of adamantine is a full set of armor on a legendary soldier.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 04:54:37 pm »

Adamantine war hammers are perfect for your captain of the guard. :] twice now hes beat up people and merely caused wounds even though he is a legendary hammerdorf.

Look at this gigantic beautiful unearthly and expensive hammer! *WHACK*

what was that? a wet noodle?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 05:34:40 pm »

Adamantine cloth isn't that effective, the only part you can cover you can't with rigid armor is the throat, and it'll still take 5 pieces of adamantine cloth (that's 5 raw adamantine). Those 5 parts could be made into 5 wafers and provide you with a set of helm mail shirt gauntlets boots greaves.
False. Everything are made with a single material object in vanilla. With 5 adamantines, I can make 5 dresses, stack them on top of each other and still have enough space to slap a steel set of helm mail shirt gauntlets boots greaves.

Adamantine clothes are supposed to require multiple units of cloth. Oddly, dresses, robes, cloaks, and trousers appear to be bugged and only require 1 unit of adamantine cloth. By comparison, shoes/socks/mittens/gloves require 10000 units of cloth, hoods//backpacks/quivers require 20000 units (2 pieces), and shirts require 30000 units (3 pieces).

Also, adamantine armor is supposed to require multiple wafers, except that smithing in general is bugged in that it fails to multiply the metal requirement by 150; this is why you can forge a metal barrel from only 1 bar (really only 3/150ths of a bar, but it rounds up) instead of 3 bars.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 07:04:23 pm »

Bwah?

*checkcheckcheck*

Alright, I'll give you that one, but cloth-metal clothes still take more than one piece of cloth-metal.
Maybe, I havent got any saves to check. How about some screenes to make me to see the light? My hands are kinda tied right now.
Spoiler: The Worker (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Material (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Product (click to show/hide)
By the way, this is the first proof I've had of working strandsilver. I feel kinda awesome now.
くコ:彡

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 07:05:01 pm »

This is cheating, but the best use of Adamatine is...

crossbow BOLTS that you use for training newbs in marksdwarf. Just make an archery target that is channeled all around, and periodically mark used bolts for melting. Bolts dont break when they fall down a z-level. One wafer of adamantine makes 25 bolts. Smelting ten bolts make 1 waffer  :D 
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 07:20:28 pm »

crossbow BOLTS that you use for training newbs in marksdwarf. Just make an archery target that is channeled all around, and periodically mark used bolts for melting. Bolts dont break when they fall down a z-level. One wafer of adamantine makes 25 bolts. Smelting ten bolts make 1 waffer  :D
The problem is that bolts hit the target.  Those bolts will be destroyed instantly.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:44 pm »

The problem is that bolts hit the target.  Those bolts will be destroyed instantly.

Some people got it to work using newb crossbowdwarves and lots of fortifications to make bolts miss often, but other than that it is a lot of trouble to keep regular military from using them. I'd also throw in a danger room where the shhoting dwarf is standing.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral
Pages: 1 [2]