Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best use of adamantine?  (Read 2910 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Best use of adamantine?
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:36:52 am »

Sooo. I have a fair bit of an addy vein, and I managed to break through into hell in a part without demons (WHOOHOO!) Now I want to equip my military in the way that offers the most protection possible, while using the least adamantine. What armor items offer the most coverage?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

HoaBinh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best use of adamantine?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:52:09 am »

According to the wiki at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armor it seems to be that the following items all have 100% coverage, can be made of metal and overlaps the furthest with the adjacent limbs/parts.

Helm
Breastplate (better armor) or Mail Shirt (covers adjacent areas)
Gauntlets
Greaves (higher armor than leggings that seems to cover as much)
Shield (better than buckler for it's cover of adjacent areas)
High Boots

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:52:28 am »

dress

Good luck protecting it from civilians in vanilla DF  8)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:59:09 am »

Adamantine cloth isn't that effective, the only part you can cover you can't with rigid armor is the throat, and it'll still take 5 pieces of adamantine cloth (that's 5 raw adamantine). Those 5 parts could be made into 5 wafers and provide you with a set of helm mail shirt gauntlets boots greaves.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:19:05 am »

Adamantine cloth isn't that effective, the only part you can cover you can't with rigid armor is the throat, and it'll still take 5 pieces of adamantine cloth (that's 5 raw adamantine). Those 5 parts could be made into 5 wafers and provide you with a set of helm mail shirt gauntlets boots greaves.
False. Everything are made with a single material object in vanilla. With 5 adamantines, I can make 5 dresses, stack them on top of each other and still have enough space to slap a steel set of helm mail shirt gauntlets boots greaves.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 07:23:01 am »

Well my armorsmith always takes and uses up 5 metal cloth per dress/cloak. Or at least he collects 5 i haven't checked if he uses them all up.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 07:24:10 am »

According to the wiki at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armor it seems to be that the following items all have 100% coverage, can be made of metal and overlaps the furthest with the adjacent limbs/parts.

Helm
Breastplate (better armor) or Mail Shirt (covers adjacent areas)
Gauntlets
Greaves (higher armor than leggings that seems to cover as much)
Shield (better than buckler for it's cover of adjacent areas)
High Boots

I'd say breastplate and a mail shirt. Because that way you cover the upper arms while still shielding the torso.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:26:51 am »

Sure, both is optimal but you don't need to have both of adamantine since they overlap.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 01:18:59 pm »

False. Everything are made with a single material object in vanilla. With 5 adamantines, I can make 5 dresses, stack them on top of each other and still have enough space to slap a steel set of helm mail shirt gauntlets boots greaves.
Question: Have you actually tried making a cloth-metal dress? I don't think you have. All cloth-metal clothing items take the same amount of cloth-metal as a cloth version would normal cloth.
くコ:彡

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 01:21:14 pm »

All cloth-metal clothing items take the same amount of cloth-metal as a cloth version would normal cloth.
Which is 1 (one) for all of them.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 01:33:36 pm »

Bwah?

*checkcheckcheck*

Alright, I'll give you that one, but cloth-metal clothes still take more than one piece of cloth-metal.
くコ:彡

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 01:37:26 pm »

Bwah?

*checkcheckcheck*

Alright, I'll give you that one, but cloth-metal clothes still take more than one piece of cloth-metal.
Maybe, I havent got any saves to check. How about some screenes to make me to see the light? My hands are kinda tied right now.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 01:45:01 pm »

best use of adamantine is moods.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 02:09:33 pm »

Socks.
I'll take my !!pig tail coat!!...
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 02:18:22 pm »

Axes, of course.

The best defense is a good offense. The dwarfiest defense is just the best offense.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
Pages: [1] 2