Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The God Particle and it's removal  (Read 3044 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: The God Particle and it's removal
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 04:17:58 am »

Back to "removing the Higgs == FTL travel": my first thought was: what'll keep all the newly massless particles together? I doubt the molecules would remain assembled as the speed of light.

Heat = random variations in kenetic energy (aka velocity) of atoms (not a great description, feel free to elaborate/correct me)
speed of light = (effectively) infinite velocity

so, from the perspective of an atom, traveling at the speed of light is a bit like being superheated, at least as far as interactions with other nearby atoms
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 06:29:17 am »

But what happens when it crashes into something? Since its massless, then the thing it flies into should be entirely unaffected. Hell, wouldnt light break the darn thing apart?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 11:49:06 am »

Back to "removing the Higgs == FTL travel": my first thought was: what'll keep all the newly massless particles together? I doubt the molecules would remain assembled as the speed of light.

Heat = random variations in kenetic energy (aka velocity) of atoms (not a great description, feel free to elaborate/correct me)
speed of light = (effectively) infinite velocity

so, from the perspective of an atom, traveling at the speed of light is a bit like being superheated, at least as far as interactions with other nearby atoms

Gravity is only one of 4 different forces, and is irrelevant on the atomic scale. Heck, it means significantly less even on the insect scale, where they could happily hold a blob of water the size of themselves without worrying about a cup. The theories that are predicting the Higgs particle, I think they keep all atomic forces intact without gravity.

But what happens when it crashes into something? Since its massless, then the thing it flies into should be entirely unaffected. Hell, wouldnt light break the darn thing apart?
Well, it depends on how bouncy you are. If you stick to the object, then it will absorb all of your energy into motion. That is what happens when we shoot light at a dark object.

If you are very bouncy, say 100% so, then you would fly back off of the object in teh opposite direction. The human structure would probably collapse like hitting a train (sucks to be that guy), but all your massless material would still exist. The object would actually gain twice your energy into motion, since it's sending you back the way you came. They can do this with high quality mirrors and light for space travel.

As for light breaking it apart, I... think you might be right. A massless object that still has the other fundamental forces would still absorb light, which would mean it absorbes the energy, and moves or changes accordingly. Light hits us now like a wet noodle might, but without mass we are basically wet noodles as well. Verdict? light-speed transportation would be a bitch.
I think that's what the theory guesses anyways, we'll find out more if the higgs exists and if we find it.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 11:50:44 am »

Does this guy often make pseudo-science bullcrap threads? :p

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 11:53:42 am »

They aren't always about science, but in a word, yes.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 12:01:21 pm »

The problem with removing the Higgs Boson is that, likely as not, it would simply annihilate the matter in question. And, technically, even if that were not to happen, FTL would still not be possible. In order to travel FTL, you would require negative mass. Theoretical physicists believe (and I have no sources to back this up, but it makes sense to me!) that any matter with negative mass would be moving backward through time. This is actually a tangent to my point, but it is interesting to consider.

My point: the higgs boson is only theoretical, and these types of theoretical musings would be better placed on a Physics forum where most people aren't talking out of their asses.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 12:03:03 pm »

Isn't matter travelling backwards through time in fact antimatter?

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 12:05:01 pm »

They aren't always about science, but in a word, yes.

That's a bit of burn. =p

My point: the higgs boson is only theoretical, and these types of theoretical musings would be better placed on a Physics forum where most people aren't talking out of their asses.

Essentially, a theoretical theoretical physicist is talking about a theoretical usage for a theoretical particle that theoretically may not do anything that people have theorised.

Try saying that whilst drunk. =p

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 12:19:51 pm »

no. no it's not.

Antimatter is when it has the opposite properties, like a an electron with positive charge (called a positron) circling a proton with a negative charge (don't know what this is called), thus making like hydrogen, but opposite. If it touches real hydrogen, the particles collide and make energy (waves I think? light?), and annihilate themselves.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 12:21:51 pm »

no. no it's not.

Antimatter is when it has the opposite properties, like a an electron with positive charge (called a positron) circling a proton with a negative charge (don't know what this is called), thus making like hydrogen, but opposite. If it touches real hydrogen, the particles collide and make energy (waves I think? light?), and annihilate themselves.
no they make pure energy, those collisions are massive energy outputs as the masses of both matter are converted into energy, think nuclear.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 12:50:28 pm »

no. no it's not.

no they make pure energy, those collisions are massive energy outputs as the masses of both matter are converted into energy, think nuclear.
Nuclear, thanks. So in other words "yes and yes", since that produces huge waves, lots of light, and lots of heat. Just clarifying so I don't confuse it with the abstract form of "moving ghost" definitino of energy.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 01:05:58 pm »

If antimatter was matter travelling backwards through time, then matter/antimatter annihilation would really be matter becoming antimatter in a massive release of energy. Perhaps matter bouncing time-wise and imparting double it's energy to the current moment. (and it likely could bounce from antimatter to regular matter, although from our point of view it would require a massive ammount of energy, because from a reversed time perspective that would look like giving off energy, and physics wouldn't allow free energy anyway...)
[/musings and extrapolation disregarding facts]

Does that really sound plausible? Probably not.
Eh?
Eh!

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 01:21:54 pm »

Theoretically, if an object was moving at say the speed of light and has no mass.  How would you stop it or add mass?
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 01:26:00 pm »

Theoretically, if an object was moving at say the speed of light and has no mass.  How would you stop it or add mass?
Well they were saying you'd re-add the god particle.

I think this would result in hilarity.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 01:28:00 pm »

Wow, bad physic at work? Bad physic at work!

I don't know how to phrase it, or where to begin, but it doesn't work like that.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 [2] 3