Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The God Particle and it's removal  (Read 3034 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The God Particle and it's removal
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:51:11 pm »

As we all know, CERN and pretty much the whole of the scientific community have been on the Higgs Boson, which theoretically gives mass to all particles. I think, that in theory, if you could remove the Higgs Boson, from say, a space ships atoms, you could remove it's mass and be able to achieve the Speed of Light. Einsteins equation states that anything with mass cannot achieve the Speed of Light(I think?). This one in question wouldn't have any.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The God Particle and it's removal
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:52:47 pm »

i needed to post this:

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:45 pm »

As we all know, CERN and pretty much the whole of the scientific community have been on the Higgs Boson, which theoretically gives mass to all particles. I think, that in theory, if you could remove the Higgs Boson, from say, a space ships atoms, you could remove it's mass and be able to achieve the Speed of Light. Einsteins equation states that anything with mass cannot achieve the Speed of Light(I think?). This one in question wouldn't have any.

I vaguely remember a physicist saying exactly that (maybe he was a guest on the Colbert Report?). Of course there is still the problem of putting the higgs boson particles back in when you get wherever you were going (can you take them with you? that wouldn't seem plausable). I also wonder if the rest of the atomic reactions would work the same without the higgs boson - that seems like removing them might just disintegrate a person.

Though if we get all the kinks worked out, imagine teleportation star-trek style! Beam me up.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:05:40 pm »

There is also the question of HOW to remove them. Simply finding them won't change much right away, we still won't know how to interact with them if they exist.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:05:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure that if the Higgs Boson is responsible for mass, more things would happen than "achieving the speed of light" if you remove it from normal matter. I'd like to say that things would go catastrophically wrong in general, and pretty fast, since, you know, you'd be turning bosons into completely different bosons, and would thus wind up with completely different particles.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:30:32 pm »

Moving at the speed of light, as all massless particles constantly do, also renders you effectively immune to the effects of time. Or to put it another way, you aren't getting back out again once you go in and turn your spacecraft into a zero mass object.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:31:29 pm »

Moving at the speed of light, as all massless particles constantly do, also renders you effectively immune to the effects of time. Or to put it another way, you aren't getting back out again once you go in and turn your spacecraft into a zero mass object.
Baseless assumptions, we don't actually have a clue what would happen.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:34:12 pm »

I think that removing all the Higgs Bosons from something would result in an effect not unlike removing all the protons.

That said:  Apostrophe doesn't go there.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:11 pm »

That said:  Apostrophe doesn't go there.
That was bothering you too? I was resisting pointing it out.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 11:13:20 pm »

You act like knowing nothing about physics will stop people from thinking they know about things even actual physicists aren't sure of.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:23:52 pm »

It dosn't give mass to all partials. The gravaton gives mass, the higgs is a partical that must exist for current equations explaining the gravaton to work, and should be a lot easyer to find then the gravaton.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 11:26:09 pm »

You act like knowing nothing about physics will stop people from thinking they know about things even actual physicists aren't sure of.
No that actually makes sense, you can do all of the calculations and would still get something like WTF is this? (happens to me everytime in Chemistry, ironically my teacher wasn't able to reproduce my products)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 01:44:47 am »

It dosn't give mass to all partials. The gravaton gives mass, the higgs is a partical that must exist for current equations explaining the gravaton to work, and should be a lot easyer to find then the gravaton.
The graviton causes gravity. What are you talking about?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 01:45:50 am »

No to be confused with the gravyton, which is what gives gravy its super tasty taste.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 02:22:38 am »

You have that backwards. Way backwards. Mass causes Gravitation. The Higgs particle is not required under some hypotheses of gravitation, only under some popular, likely ones. The higgs is presumed to be a scalar particle field that imparts all other particles in the universe with mass. Objects with mass then cause gravitation.

Higgs -> Mass -> Gravity. Got it?
!!&!!
Pages: [1] 2 3