Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: How to Defeat a Singularity-Level AI?  (Read 27354 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: How to Defeat a Singularity-Level AI?
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2011, 02:10:55 pm »

Development in one of the AI's blind spots a weapon that alters the Earth's magnetic field in coincidence with a solar flare. The radiation shuts down nearly all electronics, and few humans with cybernetics survived.
Errrmmm... We don't have the technology for that. And even if we did, something of that magnetidue would take years to develop (at which point the AI would have already been able to wipe out humanity if it chose, or at least backed itself up with technology that we couldn't deactivate), and i doubt any blindspots like that would exist. It would have visual access to the whole surface of the world, and would be able to moniter the expenditures of every goverment and large corportation to see exactly how they are spending there funds. It would probably discover even a "secret" installation, expecially as it would take years to build.
And most importantly, what would stop the AI from building one first, that would stop ours from working?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2011, 09:03:35 pm »

I, for one, welcome our new AI overlord.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2011, 08:27:57 am »

have any of you ever read "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter? it has a lot of information that seems like it would be relevant here.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2011, 09:50:22 am »

It was one of the weaknesses of the AI in "I have no mouth and I want to scream" that it had trouble truely creating.

Most of its inventions were just amalgamations of other people's work.

It was quite obvious though that the AI in that game was created with sci-fi technology.

The reason it kept a few humans around is nebulous as well. It honestly is between the AI actually missing the humans or needing them around in some way, The AI using the humans, and the AI hating humans so much that it wants to see them suffer over and over again.

It also was so advanced it in many ways had its own subconscious (and its personality was actually split into three personalities: Ego, Id, and Superego... Its Superego is actually the scary one of the three)

It took a dang lot for it to be brought down though. Multiple viruses (that became their own AI as a result), original programming (becoming their own AI), as well as the entropy of the AI as a whole. That is the thing about a Singularity AI is that in essence it can evolve into something less efficiant and more vulnerable.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:54:42 am by Neonivek »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2011, 01:14:41 pm »

It was one of the weaknesses of the AI in "I have no mouth and I want to scream" that it had trouble truely creating.

Most of its inventions were just amalgamations of other people's work.

It was quite obvious though that the AI in that game was created with sci-fi technology.

The reason it kept a few humans around is nebulous as well. It honestly is between the AI actually missing the humans or needing them around in some way, The AI using the humans, and the AI hating humans so much that it wants to see them suffer over and over again.

It also was so advanced it in many ways had its own subconscious (and its personality was actually split into three personalities: Ego, Id, and Superego... Its Superego is actually the scary one of the three)

It took a dang lot for it to be brought down though. Multiple viruses (that became their own AI as a result), original programming (becoming their own AI), as well as the entropy of the AI as a whole. That is the thing about a Singularity AI is that in essence it can evolve into something less efficiant and more vulnerable.
The main part of that though, is that it wasn't a singularity AI, if it was, it would be able do do things such as alter itself so that it COULD create. While it was super powerful (haven't played the game only read the book), it still was limited in its actions. And viruses of any scope would be basically useless against a AI, unless it was created by a smarter AI.
And i see no reason a AI would become less efficent, besides it wanting to die or something. If a AI wants to survive, i don't see a reason for it not to colonize the moon, mars, under the surface of Venus and Mercury, so that no single attack could kill it. And hoping that it will de-evolve is pretty risky, since it would be more then able to destroy the world by that point.
have any of you ever read "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter? it has a lot of information that seems like it would be relevant here.
Nope, although it looks very interesting on the Wikipedia page.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2011, 01:32:17 pm »

*Dials phone number*
Hello, Madagascar? It's just as we feared.
King of Madagascar: SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING!

:')

I loved that game.

Also, I'm surprised this thread has managed to stay at least mildly on topic for 14 pages. That's commendable. xD

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2011, 01:34:25 pm »

And i see no reason a AI would become less efficent

It is an evolving AI in the real world not fantasy world.

It isn't a perfection machine and by what means does it have to realise its own potential except by the standards it itself uses? It could very well become inert onto itself.

The main part of that though, is that it wasn't a singularity AI, if it was, it would be able do do things such as alter itself so that it COULD create

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:37:44 pm by Neonivek »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2011, 01:42:34 pm »

And i see no reason a AI would become less efficent

It is an evolving AI in the real world not fantasy world.
If the AI didn't have some way to become more efficient, and regulate its changes that it would only do ones that would make it more efficient, then it would never really get past the stage that it started at. Its not a randomly evolving AI, its controlled evolution, and everything it does (including its evolution) would be taking its goals into account.
If it had a random chance of getting more or less efficient, then it would stay a dumb non-singularity AI.

It wouldn't take that much effort for it to save itself from a day/week/month/year ago, and compare how fast everything runs and how well each process accomplishes its objectives. If a older form was better, then it would simply use that, or try to redesign the new one to be faster.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2011, 03:54:17 pm »

I'm thinking that some sort of AI is really going to be more like Darth Vadar. Ie, only a pawn.

When it really happens that is. Unfortunately, it'll be much harder to turn to good.

Also, I think an interesting tactic would be to talk to it about aliens.

"Gee AI, do you believe aliens exist? I wonder what they'd think about you if you wiped out  humanity because you felt yourself superior or whatever. Like, would they ever really trust you not to do the same to them? I mean, they might be evil anyways, but if they weren't wouldn't killing all humans be one one to convince them that you were?"

And that's how you "defeat" a singularity level AI. Reason with the beast.
Signature goes here.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2011, 04:16:59 pm »

I'm thinking that some sort of AI is really going to be more like Darth Vadar. Ie, only a pawn.

When it really happens that is. Unfortunately, it'll be much harder to turn to good.

Also, I think an interesting tactic would be to talk to it about aliens.

"Gee AI, do you believe aliens exist? I wonder what they'd think about you if you wiped out  humanity because you felt yourself superior or whatever. Like, would they ever really trust you not to do the same to them? I mean, they might be evil anyways, but if they weren't wouldn't killing all humans be one one to convince them that you were?"

And that's how you "defeat" a singularity level AI. Reason with the beast.
Yeah you could try it, but it would like a (talking) monkey trying to reason with you, even the best arguments the smartest monkey could muster would be well below your level, and since the argument was coming from a monkey, even if it WAS as smart as you, i doubt it would change your mind.
Honestly, i doubt you could sway it one way or another, as it would have probably thought of every argument that you could use. I think it would end up doing whatever it feels like, weather it was destroying the human race for the resources on planet earth, ascending to a higher plane of existence (assuming there is one), becoming a benevolent dictator or enslaving all life on the planet, would be up to it and whatever it feels like doing.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 02, 2011, 12:08:04 am »

Found your post through a sig (well, a reply, but still)

Turn off everything.  It can't be everywhere at once, but people already are.  Get a message out for every single person everywhere to shut down/disable every single piece of electronic equipment they have.  That basically disables it's ability to attack.  If all else fails, set off nukes in the atmosphere to take down large swatches of electronics.

You need to go find the movie Summer Wars.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]