Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Started in a collapsing underground cavern  (Read 7360 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Started in a collapsing underground cavern
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 08:33:24 pm »

I suggest you make an entry detailing this on the bug tracker. I haven't been able to find any similar reports.

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 09:08:04 pm »

So far every attempt at creating a new adventurer has been met with DF crashing. Most of them occur after creating the adventurer but before the welcome message shows. These result in DF simply closing. The others are after taking a single step. Then DF seizes up as though doing intense calculation (full CPU usage). After half an hour of this, Windows will start complaining by shutting down Aero and begging for DF to be closed.

I'll not give up though. One of these days I'll get an adventurer who will come across a pre-triggered pitfall. Until then, let the bodies hit the floor.

I suggest you make an entry detailing this on the bug tracker. I haven't been able to find any similar reports.

I'll do that soon.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 09:22:54 pm »

Strange. I downloaded this and no matter where I start in the world, the land just won't turn upside down and throw itself into the mantle. I am sad.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 12:10:23 am »

Strange. I downloaded this and no matter where I start in the world, the land just won't turn upside down and throw itself into the mantle. I am sad.

I am so sigging this.

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 05:31:43 am »

It has only happened to me in the hamlet of Ithritemoth (aka "Gerbilequal"). Aside from that, I'm not sure what to tell you. It would be nice to see if anybody else can reproduce this issue before I create a bug entry.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 06:20:45 am »

TAKE FIVE

Next up is Tegism Imizilta from Adreluto. He likes to keep abrest of all the latest chin music. The latest news of Ithritemoth being swallowed whole was so incredible that he had to investigate himself. Due to his shortage of wisdom, he makes the overnight trip alone and ill-equiped.

During the night he is beset by bogeymen. He begins fleeing and is slowly out-pacing them. A couple more jump out behind some trees in front of him. A poor buzzard wanders into these ambushing bogeymen and is torn to pieces. But this gives Tegism time to slip away. From there he is able to elude his pursuers until daybreak.

Upon arriving at Ithritemoth, everything seems to be in order. Perhaps the rumors were just that. He wanders around abit but finds nothing amiss. So he stays the night with some locals. The next morning he decides to head to the north side of town.

As he heads north, he hears a terrible crashing behind him. A large cloud of dust whooshes past. Perhaps the rumors are true after all! He turns around and ascends the hill he'd just come off of.

Sure enough, the ground riddled with pitfalls. It looks much like swiss cheese at this point. Then a freezes in terror. He had been walking over that ground just moments before. While he fears his luck won't hold out, he simply must investigate further. For the sake of his own curiosity at least.

He creeps up to the edge of a few of the pits, but they are much too steep for him to climb in. So he decides to continue north. Just a few dozen steps beyond the point where he heard the last crash, he is surprised again. Where he had been walking on ground, now his is walking on air. Too bad his luck didn't hold out.

An enourmous hole opens up in the ground, with him right in the middle. Down he falls, slamming into the floor of the pit and blowing apart. Poor Tegism. At least now there will be rumors about him.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 06:30:58 am »

TAKE SIX

Completely unrelated to any of the previous events comes the story of Ormol Jasroithbi. Here he is in some tiny village on The Hill of Scorching (I never quite caught the name of the village). Completely oblivious to any of the goings on in Ithritemoth. After finishing a light lunch he steps out his door to continue working the fields.

The earth below him heaves and collapses all around him! As far as his eyes can see, the ground is falling and his house is going with it. He doesn't even have time to look down before he slams into the ground and blows apart. Along with everyone he lived with. Too bad.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 02:12:16 pm »

Downloaded the save... Used the Civ you recommended and indeed, I started on a very narrow cliff overlooking a chasm which leads to Hell. A beautiful 1 frame per minute, too. Can't really explore further, unfortunately.'

My second attempt landed me on a strange grid of landbridges... which collapsed under me.

Yep, I think something's more interesting than usual.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:10:39 pm by SlimyMarmot »

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 03:17:32 pm »

Yep, I think something's more interesting than usual.

Whew! I'm glad it's not just me. One frame per minute sounds about right for most of these misadventures.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 09:09:02 pm »

Yeah I also downloaded the save, but had to travel to the recommended civ... Upon arrival I was greeted by what appeared to be a large magmafall and promptly got roasted, but given that most of the region was collapsing around me, I think it's safe to say that it's not just you.

Still it's one hell of a cool bug.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 11:38:15 pm »

I finally decided to try having a group of dwarves embark to the area and see what is going on.

Here is the first location I embarked to.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First things first, I let the game run for a bit to see if anything collapsed. No such luck. So then I fired up dfreveal to see what was underground. Much to my surprise, there were not one, not two, but three magma vents close to the surface. However, two of the vents were empty. It was arranged so that finding the first underground cavern would look into the two empty vents, giving a good view of the depths. The vents stop just a few z-levels above the HFS.

Interestingly, the magma sea was bunched up around the one active magma vent. This means that there was no molten rock around the two empty magma vents, making it possible to tunnel right into the HFS. Basically, if you embark on this area, don't tunnel more than one or two z-levels below the bottom of the empty magma vents. Perhaps because there was no magma seas in most of the map, there are no adamantine spires. Except for one tall spire right next to the active magma vent. This spire follows the magma vent all the way up.

Now I'll try a few other locations to see if there is anything interesting.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 12:49:11 am »

This area had something interesting.

Just a bit to the northwest of the wagon is an adamantine spire that reaches to the surface and goes all the way into HFS. Even though the hollow center is visible, the inside is revealed to just about 30 z-levels below the surface.

Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 01:20:21 am »

I decided to have an adventurer dive through the adamantine spire into the HFS. On my way there a large portion of ground collapsed behind me. This is the first time such a large portion has collapsed without my adventurer in the middle of it. After letting the dust settle and moving up to the edge I saved and closed DF. Now the save is zipped up and available for anybody that has been having trouble finding these fascinating geological features. You can download the save by following this elegant and finely crafted link.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 01:38:29 am »

That world is made of win. Pure, beautiful, Win.

Posting to watch. May actually try out that world sometime.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 02:00:38 am »

I demand seed parameters! (Does the Seed work that way?)

I'd really want to embark with a fort on that.

I don't know why I didn't see this file before, but I finally noticed this file called region3-world_gen_param.txt.

The contents lie within the spoiler, or you can download it directly from here.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4