Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Started in a collapsing underground cavern  (Read 7348 times)

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Started in a collapsing underground cavern
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:03:23 am »

I created a human and the first thing I see is a message saying that I've discovered a cavern deep underground. Sure enough, I'm in a spiderweb of narrow passages with tower caps all around. Right next to me is a house full of humans. I try taking a step and the FPS drops to zero for a minute and then whoosh! A huge cloud of silt blows past me. That when I realize that the ground under the house next to me seems to have been carved out of the environment. Some of these must be causing cave ins.

I try taking another step and receive these messages:
You are caught in a burst of silt!
You are caught in a cloud of boiling magma!
You lose hold of the [blah blah blah]. x9
You slam into an obstacle and blow apart!
You have died after colliding with an obstacle.

Tough luck! I think I'll try a different civilization next.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:06:18 am by Lyceq »
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
Re: Started in a collapsing underground cavern
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:14:35 am »

It already happened with one of my old fortress, try returning into this town and check this cave

vettkinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:17:29 am »

Better yet, start another adventurer on the same civilization and check the same spot again. See what fun stuff you can find in the place.

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:38:48 am »

TAKE TWO

So there stood Kemus Whatshisface next to his home. It's on a grassy field next to a pleasant stream. The sun is shining and the birds are chirping. He is planning on going on an adventure. He takes is first step from his house... right into a sinkhole.

The game stops responding. After a minute I grab some food. Upon returning, there lies Kemus at the bottom of a cavern. Blown apart upon colliding with an obstacle (i.e. the ground). Let's see how the next one fares.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:05 am »

TAKE THREE

There stands Nisam Casluxidel next to his house. It is placed precariously on the edge of a slade hillside. Blow are pits that glow eerily. What's that above him? LAVA FALLING FROM THE SKY! Quick, run inside the wood house! Sure enough, he makes inside and the wooden door destroys the lava (not magma) in the doorway. Good thing this house is made from asbestos wood. After pacing for a while (and letting the FPS work its way up) he attempts to swim the lava pool outside his front door. But the rush of lava that greets him as the door opens pushes him back and splashes all over himself and some of his housemates (caught in a pool of lava). Only Vicu suffers a small burn to his lower lip. Apparently these are asbestos humans.

Nisam is trapped. How can he get out of this house? He rests for eight hours to ponder it. He attempts to step outside to see if anything has changed. Behold! The lava is gone and now he steps outside. OH GOD IT'S FALLING AGAIN! More attempts to get outside. More pools of lava for the inhabitants to swim in. I guess the asbestos isn't that thick since a few of them are bleeding now.

OK, resting again and fast travelling out. Take a step out to unload the area and then go right back. Going in I'm surrounded by slade floors, walls and slopes. Everything seems safe. Let's take a step... crushed by collapsing ceiling.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:35:36 am »

Awesome, cant wait what happens next!  ;D
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 11:37:23 am »

Sorry about the changing tenses and perspectives. I'm typing these up as they happen and, due to slowness of processing cave-ins and liquid flowing, quite some time can pass between note taking.

TAKE FOUR

Now we have Quazo Uddaneni. He was fortunate enough to start in a neighboring town. After wandering around to bit and discovering that the ground was actually solid he decided to head over to this place on The Prairie of Chucking he heard about where the ground undulates like a hula dancer's grass skirt. He decides to enter the town from a tile to the south.

Upon arriving he survays the surroundings. The north/south stream is just to the right. Between him and the stream are bands of gabbro and clay. No houses are in sight. He takes a tentative step. The earth opens up and swallows him whole! But what's this? He survived the fall!

** Starting Adventurer **
You have discovered an expansive cavern deep underground.
You slam into an obstacle!
Your right lower arm takes the full force of the impact, shattering the bone through the rope reed fiber robe!
Your upper body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle and bruising the liver through the rope reed fiber robe!
Your right upper leg takes the full force of the impact, jamming the bone through the right hip's muscle and shattering the right hip's bone!
Your left hand takes the full force of the impact, shattering the bone through the rope reed fiber left glove!
Your right lower leg takes the full force of the impact, shattering the bone through the rope reed fiber robe!
Your left lower leg takes the full force of the impact, shattering the bone through the rope reed fiber robe!
Your first toe, right foot takes the full force of the impact, shattering the bone through the grizzly bear leather sandal!
You are caught in a cloud of boiling magma! x2
You lose hold of the silver short sword.
You are caught in a cloud of boiling magma! x8
You are caught in a cloud of boiling magma! x24
You are caught in a burst of clay loam! x2
You are caught in a burst of gabbro!
You are caught in a cloud of boiling magma! x2
You are caught in a burst of gabbro!
You are caught in a burst of red sand!
You are caught in a burst of loam!
You are caught in a burst of loam!
You regain consciousness.
You give in to pain.
You give in to pain.

It looks like there was some magma near by, but the stream poured down onto it and dowsed it. While this frequently brought up warnings of drowning, there seems to be enough open space for the water to flow away. Eventually, he wakes up stunned, drowning, and in extreme pain. He struggles to swim to the water's edge, but gives in to the pain again. While the water doesn't seem to subside anymore, Quazo also doesn't seem to drown while unconscious. Lucky! After a few more attempts and reaching dry land and passing out he realizes that he's just 4 z-levels below the surface. All of this water must be cathartic. The pain quickly subsides and, despite his two smashed legs, his crushed right hip, his smashed right lower arm, his smashed left hand, and being bruised inside and out, he starts treading water fairly well.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any lower space for the water to flow to. With the water level at 7, he tries to reach higher ground. While the cavern goes up to the surface, there are no ramps. Just steep ledges. Water pouring down on him, he starts swimming south. After a while he finds and open area with water flowing in over muddy obsidian. He tries to swim up against the flow but the effort is futile. He passes out a few times and nearly drowns, forcing him to turn back.

Just as Quazo is about to leave this part he notices a pair of trousers on a ledge above. He does a quick check. Nope, they're not his. He still has his long skirt on. Without a way up he moves on.

TO BE CONTINUED... (I just want to post this before something makes my computer crash.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:53:11 am by Lyceq »
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:51:05 am »

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I have precognition.

The bad news is that my computer BSODed and I hadn't saved that game. This saddens me terribly.

Well, I'm going to sleep for a bit before going there again. TTFN
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:01:37 pm »

So this is like the site equivalent to Tomb of Horrors, then?
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 05:37:50 pm »

This is amazing. Can't wait to see what's next.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 07:10:00 pm »

I demand seed parameters! (Does the Seed work that way?)

I'd really want to embark with a fort on that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:12:12 pm by MiniMacker »
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 07:19:27 pm »

Epic. I will watch this thread.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 07:51:32 pm »

Hell, I just want to adventure on that!
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 08:07:00 pm »

Had me a sleep for great good. Now I'm ready to throw more corpses adventurers into this terrain terror.

So this is like the site equivalent to Tomb of Horrors, then?

Hmm, so these humans serve Acererak. That would certainly explain how they're able to colonize Hell. I'll be sure to run headlong into avoid any disembodied skulls I come across.

I'd generated this world a while ago and didn't save any of the generation parameters. Is there a way for me to pull this information from the existing save data? Perhaps from somewhere in world.dat?

Hell, I just want to adventure on that!

I'll copy the region and upload it.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 08:27:09 pm »

The region data can be downloaded by following this elegant and finely crafted link. Just to note, for me it was region 3 and there was not an active game on that region.

The get an adventurer into the pitfalls, start as a human of Histekanthath. If the ground doesn't immediately swallow you up then wander around for a bit. If you still don't have any luck then travel to the town of Ithritemoth, "Gerbilequal". You're sure to find something there. You'll know your in the right place when you see huge fields of prickle berries or adjacent bands of gabbro and clay heading north/south.

Ithritemoth is part of The Council of Apples and is located in The Prarie of Chucking". Hopefully this will be enough info to get a fortress in a doomed desirable location.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:47:40 pm by Lyceq »
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4