Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: A new token for creating stronger creatures & one about stealing specific items  (Read 5068 times)

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
Re: A new token for creating stronger creatures.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 03:29:19 pm »

why not use PHYS_ATT_RANGE to give them higher stats?

Because that only directly affects physical stats and damage rolls, the [EFFECTIVE_SIZE] token would allow small creatures to easily throw people and/or bash them over a long distances.

why does this make me think of nac mac feegles?
Because that would be the first and only thing I mod into my worlds if this were implemented?
Even better if you could mod them to prioritize stealing booze and livestock.

Oh, now they're going to have to add a [ITEM_THEFT_PREF:X] token as well.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 06:25:10 pm »

A thousand times yes!

We need monsters that steal socks.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 06:30:02 pm »

A thousand times yes!

We need monsters that steal socks.

I can just imagine someone creating gnomes that steal underpants.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 06:38:43 pm »

I don't like the idea personally as I'd rather like strength to be adjustable instead...

but Effective size is a fast and easy solution to creating powerful creatures without giving them altering materials.

Problem is how does this interact with weapons?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:40:44 pm »

Weapons have a size token just like creatures do. Having an effective size token for them would make it possible to create 40d-esque exotic/magical weapons without having to resort to weird value manipulation to get results.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 06:42:09 pm »

Weapons have a size token just like creatures do. Having an effective size token for them would make it possible to create 40d-esque exotic/magical weapons without having to resort to weird value manipulation to get results.

I meant in striking them.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 06:50:25 pm »

I meant in striking them.

Same as if the creature wielding it was several sizes larger than it really is.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 06:58:50 pm »

Tigermen modded to swipe mittens. (for their kittens)
Blackbirds that try to steal gems, coins, and other small glass/metal items.
Beware the AtomAnt forgotten beast! Size of an ant, strength of a dragon, wears a strange helmet.
Large birds of prey stealing sheep.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 07:50:35 pm »

Tigermen modded to swipe mittens. (for their kittens)
Blackbirds that try to steal gems, coins, and other small glass/metal items.
Beware the AtomAnt forgotten beast! Size of an ant, strength of a dragon, wears a strange helmet.
Large birds of prey stealing sheep.

Yes, I suppose all kinds of weird and wonderful creatures would be possible... But then, that's the whole point.

Demons, vampires, golems, ETC all with incredible strength and able to smash your unfortunate party across rooms to splatter into walls, or alternatively if you're playing such a creature, you could be the one casually launching some poor elf into the distance.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 08:05:34 pm »

I love this Idea. I just hope it doesn't accidentally get out of hand.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 02:48:09 am »

get out of hand? i thought that was the whole idea!
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 02:51:15 am »

This idea doesn't seem very useful; its intended effects should be possible using attributes and tissues/materials effectively.

Because that only directly affects physical stats and damage rolls, the [EFFECTIVE_SIZE] token would allow small creatures to easily throw people and/or bash them over a long distances.

Then the solution is to fix throwing and bashing such that they properly respect a creature's strength and skill.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 04:47:59 am »

im supprised no one has made nac mac feegles yet.
considering their a hive type species that spends its entire time fighting drinking and stealing and live in burial mounds.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 06:11:11 pm »

This idea doesn't seem very useful; its intended effects should be possible using attributes and tissues/materials effectively.

Then the solution is to fix throwing and bashing such that they properly respect a creature's strength and skill.

But this is still limited by the creatures size, even with max strength a creature still wouldn't have the same effectiveness as this simple token, plus it'd be a lot easier for toady to implement.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure it would be all that easy, since the simulation would have to act like the creature has one size under some circumstances and another size under other circumstances. It might be sort of a nightmare.

At any rate, I'm not sure what the "max strength" is, or why you think that wouldn't be sufficient, especially since right now that isn't even implemented as a significant factor.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6