Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: A new token for creating stronger creatures & one about stealing specific items  (Read 5039 times)

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile

I don't know if this has been proposed but I'd like to see an effective size token that would read exactly like the [BODY_SIZE] token, but would only be used for combat related effects, so...

A human has [BODY_SIZE:12:0:70000] but if you wanted to create a vampire you could add the following [EFFECTIVE_SIZE:12:0:700000]

So a Vampire would have 10 times the combat strengths of a human of the same age but due to having the same body size, would still be able to wear human sized clothes and/or armour.

This'd be a good token for supernatural or artificial creatures like golems, because you could use it to give a man-sized golem incredible strength.

EDIT - Alternatively (or perhaps additionally) a multiplier such as [EFFECTIVE_SIZE_MOD:X] might be useful as well.

Oh and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add an [ITEM_THEFT_PREF:X] token, to allow creatures to steal specfic items, although this doesn't have anything to do with making stronger creatures, it would be entertaining.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:11:39 pm by Evil One »
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: A new tag for creating stronger creatures.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:03:09 am »

Nice
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A new token for creating stronger creatures.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:47:09 am »

why not use PHYS_ATT_RANGE to give them higher stats?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:09:35 am »

Because that only directly affects physical stats and damage rolls, the [EFFECTIVE_SIZE] token would allow small creatures to easily throw people and/or bash them over a long distances.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:51:21 pm by Evil One »
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

mcdonaldjord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 10:21:10 am »

i love this idea.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 01:51:13 pm »

How about instead an [EFFECTIVE_SIZE_MOD:X] where X is a ratio that would be multiplied against the creature's actual size to get their effective size in combat.  Would be much more extensible and usable for mods, rather than having to calculate what a creature that's 40% "bigger."

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 02:40:15 pm »

A multiplier would be way better, as it would automatically keep pace with a growing creature.

This would be a handy thing for beasties who have special properties that make them deadlier than worldgen estimates.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:43:47 pm »

Because that only directly affects physical stats and damage rolls, the [EFFECTIVE_SIZE] token would allow small creatures to easily throw people and/or bash them over a long distances.

why does this make me think of nac mac feegles?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:45:17 pm »

the [EFFECTIVE_SIZE] token would allow small creatures to easily throw people and/or bash them over a long distances.

Because four of them could carry a cow?

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 04:26:53 pm »

Well, I supposed a multiplier would work... Wouldn't be as precise though.

Although it would allow for transformations IE human to vampire, without as much mucking about.

EDIT - It could also be used for strength boosting artifacts/magic weapons... A hammer of force with [EFFECTIVE_SIZE_MOD:20], now that'd be fun!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:28:29 pm by Evil One »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 04:30:17 pm »

Doesn't need to be an integer, could be a floating point.  1.2, etc.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 04:42:31 pm »

Bah, let's get both of them and give one precedence.
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 04:52:40 pm »

Doesn't need to be an integer, could be a floating point.  1.2, etc.

So now you'd need to calculate the exact effects of the float, to make sure the result is precise.

Bah, let's get both of them and give one precedence.

This could work.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 05:39:45 pm »

Because that would be the first and only thing I mod into my worlds if this were implemented?
Even better if you could mod them to prioritize stealing booze and livestock.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 11:54:54 pm »

not a modder or one to use mods but i know my way around programming enough to know this tag would be epically awesome.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6