Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: The Japanese have perfected the Disembowel-Bot  (Read 11335 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: The Japanese have perfected the Disembowel-Bot
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2010, 09:05:17 pm »

So what your saying is, meat, along with many other thing would, if in shortage, cause the collapse of America?

America is an unbelievably terrible country.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 09:06:15 pm »

You're a Canadian, Realm?

Me too!

So much vegetarianism in this thread. Going to destroy a lot of fertile land cultivating enough soy beans to feed us all if we go that route.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 09:07:44 pm »

Meat = bad for food production is correct if you're talking about intensive cattle ranching that involves feeding them food that humans would be able to eat.  On the other hand, raising, say, sheep on a piece of land which wouldn't be able to grow food... provides more food overall.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 09:08:40 pm »

On the other hand, raising, say, sheep on a piece of land which wouldn't be able to grow food... provides more food overall.

Is this even possible on a commercial scale?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 09:09:47 pm »

Well, you can try telling the farmers that do it on a commercial scale that it's impossible if you like.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2010, 09:11:25 pm »

Will it work on a commercial scale to replace the beef market is the question. Doing successfully for the lamb market is fine and alright, but doing fine through being the size of the beef market? We'll need to see some work done before I'll believe it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2010, 09:11:54 pm »

Well, you can try telling the farmers that do it on a commercial scale that it's impossible if you like.
That was not a sarcastic question, more of a prompt for you to provide more information then your word.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2010, 09:26:28 pm »

Oh, right, sorry.

I didn't mean that it should replace cattle farming, or that it's likely we'll be able to continue eating the same amount of meat in future.  Just that meat can help to produce more food overall.

I actually got it from this book, although most of the relevant stuff isn't there.  It's only really briefly touched on in that page:
The meat or dairy produce which results from cycling biomass in this fashion is ‘free’ in the sense that it has little or no environmental impact beyond that which is engendered by an ecosystem dedicated primarily to the production of vegetable food.
And which is then compared to the practise of feeding animals stuff that's edible to humans.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2010, 09:31:46 pm »

Do you know how much food it does add?

Because thats pretty important.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2010, 09:43:58 pm »

Not really.

Even if it's a fairly small amount, it's enough to defeat the principle "All meat is wasteful, vegetarianism is the way to go".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2010, 09:56:23 pm »

I can't believed I overlooked this thread.  Man, I missed out on so many opportunities to describe Jewish Robots.

I always found it amusing looking at the differences between how industrial automation actually played out, versus the cartoonish imagination of automation from earlier eras.  Namely, that human workers would be replaced my humanoid robots, who did all the same task-motions that humans did.

Like the guy points out in the video, there are some jobs which "require" human labor, because you need fast snap decisions over minor but critical positioning changes.  Digging a hole, shelling a crab, stacking irregular freight, cutting hambones.  I guess we've reached the point where the processing power, mechanical precision, and three-dimensional measuring technologies can now imitate rote-human-skill, in a commercially feasible package.

I honestly don't know how to feel about that, because it knocks the legs out from under my woefully-naive but very necessary assumptions that there are tasks living people will always be better at than machines.  Damn.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2010, 10:00:52 pm »

Can a robot write a book?

Or rather, can a robot write a good book?

Your right, at least for now.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2010, 10:05:29 pm »

I meant in the realm of physical tasks.  Assembling parts, digging holes, building sheds, performing surgery, boning hams, and so forth.  Stuff that requires lots of minor, irregular motions and the ability to make judgments about differences in situations.  The list appears to be getting shorter all the time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2010, 10:08:12 pm »

Can a robot write a book?

Or rather, can a robot write a good book?

If robots can compose good music, I'm fairly sure that they'll be able to write a good book in the future.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2010, 10:14:59 pm »

I'm fairly sure that in the future, robots will have powers of imaginative creation that would put even the greatest human to shame.

Hence the at least for now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8