Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Grass!  (Read 6205 times)

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grass!
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 04:53:14 am »

As a note, would it be possibly to plant seed?  I'd like to go out in to the middle of a barren desert, and make an oasis.  Perhaps spread around trees and plants, make a nice watering hole from the caverns...
Realistically, I would hope the grass would die. There's a reason the place is a desert to begin with. making an oasis would require bringing water up from the underground with a hidden irrigation system to keep the oasis wet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 04:55:16 am »

Realistically, I would hope the grass would die. There's a reason the place is a desert to begin with. making an oasis would require bringing water up from the underground with a hidden irrigation system to keep the oasis wet.

Since when did realisem get in the way of dorfiness?
If the grass needs water, then so help me, water shall be pumped from hundreds of Z levels down by means of infinate energy device!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 05:27:28 am »

If the grass needs water, then so help me, water shall be pumped from hundreds of Z levels down by means of infinate energy device!

There are various bits of realism in DF.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 06:41:51 am »

If you add in a hidden irrigation system, you've just created exactly what he suggested.

Anything is possible when you have materials, time, and an infinite supply of expendable labour.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 06:42:54 am »

If you add in a hidden irrigation system, you've just created exactly what he suggested.

Anything is possible when you have materials, time, and an infinite supply of expendable labour.

So... Anything is possible then?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2010, 06:50:57 am »

You know, the tree growing code already makes use of hidden water level determining code, surely it would be possible to co-opt that for grass as well?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2010, 12:38:40 pm »

As a note, would it be possibly to plant seed?  I'd like to go out in to the middle of a barren desert, and make an oasis.  Perhaps spread around trees and plants, make a nice watering hole from the caverns...

That'd be ideal.  I didn't say efficient at all - I really just want to make a nice looking desert town.  I'd also need a cloth material that can be used in construction, which would be even worse than my oasis in realism.  I'd be willing to do a lot of underground work if it lets me keep the surface pretty.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2010, 01:53:49 pm »

I'm looking forward to the date when we can plant groves of fruit-bearing trees and bushes.  As silly as it might sound, I could totally dig playing DF as a game doing gardening, landscaping and alchemy.  Well, in addition to the building of a fortress.
That does remind me of Elona, where instead of planting fruit-bearing trees I'd steal them from the wilderness. Yes, my character got strong enough to uproot entire trees, carry them back to his farm and plop them back into the ground where they'd make fruit to be turned into sherberts, crepes and ice cream... using a barbeque set.

Anyway yes, one day we will see the megaproject "Hanging Gardens of Dwarfdom".
I could only steal the leaf-less dead trees. My character never got strong enough to pickpocket the other, actually useful ones. The constant karma hits also made sure I didn't sell off all the dead trees I could find.

I wonder when we'll be able to steal peoples trees in DF.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2010, 05:20:09 pm »

the evil grass was also mentioned in Threetoe's Story "Curse of the Cyclops" from July 20, 2006, they were parasites covering the floor of an evil land and were used to give a pirate crew leprosy  :o Wonder if it will cause something like that to your dwarfs or invaders

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2010, 06:53:32 pm »

Parasite-infested grass would be pretty cool, as long as Dwarves are given the intellect to follow "I MUST GET THOSE SOCKS!" with "and then put them on, to stop little critters burrowing into my soles."

Artifakt

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Night at the Inventory. Discuss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 11:59:06 pm »

Friend: "Sorry, I just can't get past those ASCII graphics."
Me: "But it has 18 types of graaaaaaaasssss!!"

So sigged.
Friend: "Sorry, I just can't get past those ASCII graphics."
Me: "But it has 18 types of graaaaaaaasssss!!"

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 09:23:38 pm »

Since we have confirmed evil grass and a description, where does that put us for good land grass? Grass with angel wings? Halos? Grass that bears fruit?

I bet it's some kind of peppermint sugar-grass like the stuff in Willy Wonka's chocolate sweatshop.
Pages: 1 2 [3]