Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Grass!  (Read 6217 times)

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grass!
« on: December 24, 2010, 12:04:00 pm »

Does this mean that I can't keep all Cows in a cage 30 z levels underground anymore? Will Pigs need slop? Will there be an Urist McHaymaker? Speculation ahoy.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grass!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 12:17:15 pm »

This just in: a whole thread was created to celebrate a devlog post relating to GRASS. Is this important? Will the release be soon? WILL WE HAVE UNDERGROUND COWS? MORE AT 11.

I can't believe I just accidentally wasted my 300th post on this
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 12:38:14 pm by freeformschooler »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 12:23:58 pm »

Speculation ahoy me mateys!

This is intruigung!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:36:32 pm »

Since we have confirmed evil grass and a description, where does that put us for good land grass? Grass with angel wings? Halos? Grass that bears fruit?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 12:42:17 pm »

Didn't animals used to eat in one of the previous versions? It if I recall it was taken out because it was very hard to keep all the damn animals fed.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 01:22:21 pm »

Didn't animals used to eat in one of the previous versions? It if I recall it was taken out because it was very hard to keep all the damn animals fed.

I play since august 2006 and never animals had to eat. Maybe in some indev version.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 02:01:03 pm »

Since we have confirmed evil grass and a description, where does that put us for good land grass? Grass with angel wings? Halos? Grass that bears fruit?
You'll know it's good when you try to smoke it =)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 02:12:34 pm »

In my still brief time playing DF......I never once thought he'd need to break down grass types.

I can see it now. Urist McPetKeeper cancels Job: interrupted by Horse with colic.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 03:11:24 pm »

I wonder if the type of grass will have any effect on the animal byproducts.

Urist McCheeseMaker: Royal supplier of medium evil cheese since before time.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 03:18:40 pm »

I play since august 2006 and never animals had to eat. Maybe in some indev version.

Toady confirmed this. He took it out because he found it made his mysterious secret pre-release testers (whom have NEVER been identified) less likely to want to keep animals, around-- in fact, they were treating cats and dogs like we treat nobles. Anyway, I guess he wanted to encourage people to want lots of animals in the vein of "accumulating wealth", so animals stopped eating.

Of course, nowadays we don't like lots of animals anyway because of FPS concerns.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 03:23:45 pm »

In Soviet DF, Cow eats you!
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 03:25:55 pm »

Well, yea, he does. Doesn't he?

Someone already brought up the bamboo example. Then there is underground flora, which is mostly fantasy work their as well. So, that would be at least 3 (the third being everyday normal grass) different types of grass. And their could be a myriad of other grasses similar to the bamboo example, where it'd wouldnt make sense for a panda to be eating regular everyday grass.

So, even without much effort the number of grass types expands with itself. However, beyond actual grass types that possibly in the game, we're also getting some more fantasy flora, such as evil grass. The evil grass, is of course complete fluff (though it may have game play impact, such as environment troubles for the adventurer or fort), but fun none the less. I for one, do not object for fun things being added to a game.

With how Toady has set out for DF, I don't see how he could have avoided extra grass types.

And least we forgot, they may not have any gameplay difference now, they may/probably will in the future. The various trees types currently in the game are well, the same damn thing, buts known that they will eventually get expanded. When? Who in the fucking worlds knows. But they well.

It took a wii bit before the cheese and soap makers to actually be useful. They were in the game way before actually had a use.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 04:17:45 pm »

Evil grass should grow faster in blood stained tiles.

The Captain

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 04:26:22 pm »

We should be able to plant glass on roofs so we can make our own hobbit holes :]

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 04:40:43 pm »

We should be able to plant glass on roofs so we can make our own hobbit holes :]

I approve of this.

I think it'll make farming more difficult, most likely, but I don't really know how this will come about...  a hay maker would be nice, I think (hope) it'll be under the vein of plant processing, herbalism or farming instead of a new type of labor.
Pages: [1] 2 3