Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reclaiming a goblin infested volcanic fortress  (Read 3960 times)

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reclaiming a goblin infested volcanic fortress
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:16:11 pm »

I'd tell you an exciting story about a prosperous fortress, grand battles, the following massacre of over 100 dwarfs, insane laughter in the hospital, sole-survivor bad-ass with four troll kills, attempted reconstruction and the eventual fall to another siege. But I'm not going to, cause I suck at writing.

I got really attached to this fortress and want to reclaim it. The problem is, it's infested with gobbos. There's also a megabeast/chameleon that seems to be hostile towards the goblins.

I've tried embarking with one fighter dwarf with full iron gear, dwarf squad with leather gear, but they always get massacred after few goblins. Now I'm considering tapping the volcano that my fortress is built next to and let it pour in from my only entrance. I don't want that yet...

Any ideas how to save my precious fort? :-/ Oh oh and another question, is there any easy way to find my fort on adventurer mode? I've walked all around the place and nothing.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaiming a goblin infested volcanic fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:21:01 pm »

Back in .16, if you lost your fortress with goblins on the map, they miraculously turned friendly upon reclaiming the map and leave you alone. Well, until the next siege, where they would go all BLU Spy on you and slaughter everyone again, but in the meanwhile, they would help killing goblin ambushes. I don't know if this is still the case in the version you're playing, but it may be worth playing with that fact.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:26:03 pm »

.18 here. My 21 dead dwarven reclaimers can pretty much confirm that it has been fixed :P

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:27:10 pm »

Dig out a smaller fortress next to it and besiege the larger one from there, I guess.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:57:06 pm »

21 dead reclaimers plus a fort full of dead bodies means the site is probably going to be permanently haunted.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:52:10 pm »

21 dead reclaimers plus a fort full of dead bodies means the site is probably going to be permanently haunted.

Indeed.
It'll be a regular haunted house in there.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 02:59:05 pm »

You're going to need more than your regular share of proficient axedwarves/shield users to take this back. Wishing we could once again reclaim with a grand army of 70 trained militia?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 03:05:58 pm »

I'm going to go against the pack here...

So far, everyone has offered you a military solution... I don't know how many goblins are in your fortress, but from the sound of things, enough that force of arms is unlikely to do you much good.

I suggest a dwarven engineering solution... Embark with a team of miners, masons and maybe a mechanic. Bring a number of stones. Wall yourself off with the stones at the start using constructed walls the moment you embark.

After that, mine your way into the fortress and tap the volcano. The goblins will no longer be a problem. If you opt to bring a mechanic, you can control the chaos a bit better and make dealing with the magma SLIGHTLY easier...

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 03:48:05 pm »

Get an adventurer, recruit nineteen guys, lead them to glory or death.

EDIT: About finding the fort in adventure mode, if it has a volcano it should be easy to find on the maps in Legends mode. Export those and use them as a guide when you're looking.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:50:19 pm by Lovechild »
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 06:01:02 pm »

I'm also in favor of a !!SCIENCE!!  solution  get yourself Isolated ASAP start farming prickleberries behind your walls ,  then once safely in a isolated area build deathraps outside the fort to take out any "Defenders"  and start seiging  the fort with siege engines/water/magma.   
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 07:41:42 pm »

Wall yourself off, dig into a cavern, then use sneaky cave ins and kamikaze miners to direct all Fallen Beasts into the Goblin held areas.  Craft popcorn.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 07:46:06 pm »

give the fort a visit in adventure mode.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 08:32:59 pm »

Hih, thanks for all the replies, people. Finally found the fort on adventurer mode and brought 17 friends with me. So far killed about 20 goblins, so most likely will be reclaimable soonish. Pretty tense creeping around your old fort with limbs and corpses of your old dwarves all around.

Walling myself off would have been a bit tricky, since my genius dwarves decided to embark on the top edge of the volcano and goblins on the ground level. The ideas were great, lol. Thanks :)

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 04:22:13 am »

This is exactly what happened to me recently. Had a fortress I was extremely attached too, so after I lost it in a bit of an accident. I tried to reclaim it. Nine times.

Apart from the multitude of ghosts wandering around(which do some wierd things to dwarves), I had a group of goblin invaders and tigermen downstairs. As well as two forgotten beasts.
Luckily though, my floor hatches kept everyone in the depths while I tried to reclaim the fortress. Built walls and fortified sections to be able to take pot shots at the forgotten beasts. Unfortunately, every time that fort failed I was up to about 30-50 dwarves. So my burial chambers had over 200 coffins filled, and alot of the ghosts I can only deal with by making slabs.

Unfortunately though, that fortress was doomed. All the creatures wandering around where too powerfull to attack, and would go beserk when traders rocked up anyway. I even had that lone tigerman destroy my elephant zoo singlehandedly.

I was a sad dwarf.

My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 08:08:41 am »

I'm going to go against the pack here...

So far, everyone has offered you a military solution... I don't know how many goblins are in your fortress, but from the sound of things, enough that force of arms is unlikely to do you much good.

I suggest a dwarven engineering solution... Embark with a team of miners, masons and maybe a mechanic. Bring a number of stones. Wall yourself off with the stones at the start using constructed walls the moment you embark.

After that, mine your way into the fortress and tap the volcano. The goblins will no longer be a problem. If you opt to bring a mechanic, you can control the chaos a bit better and make dealing with the magma SLIGHTLY easier...

Sound principle, but I'd offer some tweaks:  Go primarily with miners/mechanics.  May want to give the miners some dodging/armor/shield skills; a proficient miner with decent stats is absolutely deadly (or was, in .16).  Bring untrained dogs as meat shields in case you get rushed before you can get into a bolthole.  Don't bother with walling off the area at first; dig straight down at your embark site, make a 1x1 garbage zone, deconstruct wagon, temporarily dump all goods.  Either put up a door you've brought with you (in case they don't have trolls), or make sure you've bought a skilled carpenter+wood, or skilled mason+rock, and slap up a wall as soon as you've got your goodies stashed.

Walling myself off would have been a bit tricky, since my genius dwarves decided to embark on the top edge of the volcano and goblins on the ground level. The ideas were great, lol. Thanks :)

I prefer digging down and sealing myself in; more dwarfy, and you're safe from aerial threats.  You do have to stock up on food if there's no ready source of water, though.  Although a pack of dogs can be useful in more ways than one...
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: [1] 2