Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Interface Overhaul  (Read 3313 times)

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interface Overhaul
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 06:33:22 am »

Waahay. Not to be a downer but honestly. Before you make another thread on the level of this one, PLEASE use the search button. I'm sure you would of found more topics about this then you can read.

As for the interface....

I think its fine.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 07:18:17 am »

I don't think it's fine, I think it's horrible in many places, but I've learned it a few years ago so it doesn't bother me anymore :). So right now I await bug fixes and new features much more than any interface tweaks. And I am actually afraid of possible interface tweaks after the new military interface :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 07:47:56 am »

b->w->m, q->f, b->x

Don't understand what you're talking about. I don't think floodgates are the worst either, but it's the one I remembered.

Just to prove your point...  It's b->w->m, q->a->f, b->x

What could be hard to remember there?

Oh yeah, then there is the b->w->t, q->a->t->a->t->a->t, b->T->l, b->a->f->[Enter]->[Enter]

Just to get the flood gate to work!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:50:17 am by Still Standing »
Diggy diggy hole.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 08:05:04 am »

If you think Fortress construction is bad, try playing adventure mode.

A GUI overhaul is essential in the future but I believe Toady is focusing on the important gameplay aspects of Dwarf Fortress before fixing it up for wide appeal. Actual graphics should also be considered, not because they are "shiny" (though it really does help with presentation), but because a certain level of graphics can transmit visual information better and faster than ASCII or even tilesets.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 08:49:52 am »

b->w->m, q->f, b->x

Don't understand what you're talking about. I don't think floodgates are the worst either, but it's the one I remembered.

Oh yeah, then there is the b->w->t, q->a->t->a->t->a->t, b->T->l, b->a->f->[Enter]->[Enter]

q->a->f->[Enter]->[Enter], q->a->P
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 09:11:41 am »

I suppose that's true. All I was trying to say is it could be in Toady's interest to at least fix up the interface somewhat, as I have seen a lot of people turned away from the game specifically because they couldn't hurdle the ridiculous UI. Most of the reason behind that 90-degree learning curve everyone's always talking about is the interface.

Toady has said before that the interface overhaul will probably happen when donations start lagging.  He's not trying to reach a large audience right now.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 11:13:07 am »

Improved Graphics? meh, I could take 'em or leave 'em.
More mouse input? meh, might actually slow me down...

You know what would make me very happy? Making more lists alphabetised... More sortable and searchable lists would also be good.
Lists like the stocks screen shouldn't go:
weapons
animals
seeds
bars
hats
powders
logs
armor
coffins
stones
pants
slabs

or whatever random ass order they are in...

Fixing that would save me a hell of a lot of time, I think there are two slabs entries in the stocks list.

Iasnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 03:20:27 pm »

Just a quick question:  If you had to redesign Dwarf Fortress's UI, how would you go about doing it?
Dwarf Therapist is a useful program, but how would you go about recreating that in DF?  And what about the other menus? 
And yes, I know this isn't a quick question, but it seems a little more useful.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 03:32:45 pm »

What's so bad about the interface? EVERY SINGLE BUTTON that can possibly do something at that moment is labeled in bright green on the screen along with what pushing that button does. I don't see what's so confusing about it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 04:12:35 pm »

I can't help but think that Toady didn't plan to go multicore originally because way back when, he might have fairly assumed that individual cores would be sped up as time went by. Doesn't seem like processor manufacturers are bothering any more. To be fair, increasing the number of cores seems like a perfectly good workaround for the predicted end of Moore's Law due to the physical limits of nanominiaturisation.

God, I love Dwarf Fortress. A game that actually pushes the limits of processing power... I just wish it hadn't hit those limits so soon.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 04:59:04 pm »

In the Dec '10 report, Army Arcs are up next after their current civ updates.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 06:59:50 pm »

b->w->m, q->f, b->x

q->a->f->[Enter]->[Enter], q->a->P

I think my point is proven.

(I did realize I missed the a in the create floodgate, but edits are horrible to do on a phone.)
マグマキッド

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 07:14:38 pm »

Hey guys, I totally support this UI sentiment. I'm just popping in to say there's a large thread over in the Suggestions forum where we're trying to compile concrete suggestions for interface improvement. If you have something more specific on your mind, come on in.

Just a quick question:  If you had to redesign Dwarf Fortress's UI, how would you go about doing it?
Dwarf Therapist is a useful program, but how would you go about recreating that in DF?  And what about the other menus? 
And yes, I know this isn't a quick question, but it seems a little more useful.

I personally would do it like this8)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 03:08:57 am »

I don't think we need total interface overhaul just now. What we need more is small changes to the most annoying parts.
Some examples:

1. Building a wall:
b C w
This part is perfect, couldn't be much better imho. After a few tries you can do it mechanically.

BUT the problem is that this is not the end. After that you must press:
Down Down Down Down Down Left Left Left Left Left Left ... Enter

Ok you just selected the position. A mouse use here would help greatly imho.

Next thing:
* * + + + + + + + Enter

You just selected the material from 5 pages of available materials. If game remembered last material used it would be much easier.

2. Trading
100 crafts (or bins of crafts) to trade:
Down Enter Down Enter Down Enter Down Enter ...

Ok you just selected one page, another 10 to go... Some mass selection shortcuts would help a lot.

3. Viewing stuff
Lets see what job is currently done in a workshop:
q
Now select the workshop:
Down Down Down Left Left Left Left ...

Ok fine. Now lets see what job materials are inside. But wait! You need to start everything again:
Esc t
Now select it:

Ok we see them now. Lets examine the dwarf who is working:
Esc v
Now select it:
Etc.

Some way to switch between view modes without selecting position again would be good.

-----

Ok thats all. I just wanted to visualize how much keypresses it really takes to get stuff done. People discuss if "b C w" is good or bad, but noone realized what happens after that and what takes the real amount of keypresses. And keypresses take time. And repeating the same key 30 times makes you bored and tired.

This is what is the worst in the current interface in my opinion. Fortunatelly it is also quite easy to fix. Fixing these issues would make the game much more enjoyable.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 03:48:08 am »

Yep, you're right, everyone knows the interface is horrible and an active point of scorn for many both within and outside the community.   It's well known and established, and Toady agrees 100%.   This is the truth.

Also truth is that nothing that can be accomplished by another thread about this.   You're not going to change anyone's mind or make anyone more aware of the issue.  Especially when the thread is two sentences that boil down to "fix it, toady!", and then someone asking about framerate optimizations, etc, rather than specific examples for interface spot-fixes, which at least have the conceit of being possibly applied before a major overhaul. 

I apologize for being so curt with my previous post in this thread, but if you look, you will see that it was heading for the same "let's all complain about the things everyone's already complained about endlessly" echo chamber whinefest that all these threads turn into.  It was derailed hours before I posted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3