Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: Unclaimed World [Sci-Fi Frontier Colony Sim] (aka Conlan's Claim)  (Read 49810 times)

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conlan's Claim [Sci-Fi Frontier Colony Sim]
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2011, 01:07:14 pm »

The concept of this game reminds me of Majesty, or even DF, where you don't have full control over your units.  This is definitely an awesome concept.  I'd readily pull out my wallet for a game like this.  It seems like there has been a severe drought of space colony sims for several years.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »

Not to burst any bubbles, but that likely means he's finishing the overhaul he's been working on, not finished the game. Still good to see progress, though; I like that they have twitter accounts to keep us up to date.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2011, 04:05:37 pm »

Not to burst any bubbles, but that likely means he's finishing the overhaul he's been working on, not finished the game. Still good to see progress, though; I like that they have twitter accounts to keep us up to date.

Was not thinking the game would be done thats way off - But we might be close to getting a Alpha, And is it just me or is the website down? :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2011, 04:17:03 pm »

Was not thinking the game would be done thats way off - But we might be close to getting a Alpha, And is it just me or is the website down? :P

Looks up to me.

Also, what does it  mean when this thread comes up on the first page of google results, but their website doesn't?
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2011, 04:31:04 pm »

I guess these forums carry a lot more weight to easily get in the top pages of search results. I don't know exactly how it all works, but it's to do with traffic, amount of links, and probably a whole bunch of other important under-the-hood stuff.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2011, 05:07:00 am »

new info on the game! :

Straight from the dev's:

Kubluu ( Dev ) :

It's humming along.
I just did a major revamp to the terrain representation which affected almost all the movement and pathfinding code, but it seems to have settled now.
I have a few model assets (a new vehicle and a character animation) from the artist that I need to test out, because they involve attachment of other models (a man in a driving seat and a carrying animation), which is something we haven't done before.
Then I'll be finishing the region map algorithm and incorporating that into the AI evaluator. After that it's probably some more work on minor systems such as item degradation, composite items and the skill system. I also have to think about doing the XNA 4.0 upgrade at some point.

So that's some of the stuff ahead on the programming side.

Regarding game design, I have been thinking about a system for managing expeditions, outposts and so on within the local map. Maybe I will post a description of this feature on our web site at some point.

Well the basic problem is this.

The characters will normally not go into the wilderness, and they will only go as far away as to be home by nightfall.
But the player wants to do things like geological surveys, scientific expeditions etc. far from the main colony.
So how to entice the characters to take up jobs and tasks that lie a long/dangerous distance from their home, and to stay there (keeping in mind that the player cannot order the characters around).

I have a system in mind that ensures that these jobs get filled and supplies and resources can be distributed as well. I want it to be handled in an elegant way that is similar to how it works when the initial expedition gets under way. There should be as few special cases or "gamey" rules as possible. I will probably write some more on it later

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2011, 05:22:01 am »

I belive that problem would be solved by assigning a vehicle and rations to the colonist/team
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2011, 05:23:19 am »

post on the fourms if you have an idea on fixing it.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2011, 03:59:36 pm »

UPDATE: fauna and animals info.

Moogie wrote:
I'm interested to hear any more details there might be so far about the kinds of plant and animal life we might encounter on our explorations.

We have concepts for many animals ready. Animation and coding is still missing. But it is one of our highest priorities to get a few animals out sooner rather than later.
There will be many types, but we aim for plausible designs with a distinctly un-earthly look and also some surprising traits.

Moogie wrote:
I'm curious how deep this aspect of the simulation will be-- will there be balanced populations of plantlife, herbivores and carnivores, and could those balances become upset by human activity?

Yes, this is a definite must. All organisms must fit in with the environment and live and die by it.

Moogie wrote:
Also, any plans for diseases that could be picked up from dangerous organisms, that require research to develop a cure using gatherable materials from the environment?

Yes, this is also on the drawing board. The alien lifeforms should be a threat as well as a resource to the colonists.

Moogie wrote:
Will there be airborne or aquatic creatures/plants? (And on a related note, what about air/sea vehicles for transportation of colonists and supplies?)

Yes, we definitely want those as well.
We already have aircraft in the game, and boats and barges will also be included.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2011, 04:09:34 pm »

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing how all that ends up working in game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2011, 06:22:03 pm »

The more I hear about the stuff those guys planned, the more I like them.
I could imagine this game being a mix of DF, Tropico (the first one, at least) and a bit of Majesty..maybe a bit of StarTopia too (my fav game when I was around 15....5 years ago.)

They really know how to make this game fun and to add replayability, exploration and 'discover-by-yourself' elements.
It's a bit sad, though, that they are only two guys, so it'll take sometime.
But I'm pretty sure the game will be awesome on release.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2011, 06:36:36 pm »

so this is some sort of settlers but in space.. looks neat... I cant find if this is a freeware project or this will be a comercial game tho...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:34 pm »

so this is some sort of settlers but in space.. looks neat... I cant find if this is a freeware project or this will be a comercial game tho...

I'm not sure either, I guess I read something about it but my mind deleted the information.
But I think it will be worth it in case they go commercial
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2011, 06:50:59 pm »

I do believe they've said they intend to sell it, but I wouldn't know where to find a quote for that.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2011, 06:52:44 pm »

Hi,
It was never meant to be a free game. But we haven't yet decided how it will be sold. Most likely it will be payment to download, with a rebate on future "sequels".

http://forum.conlansclaim.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20