Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Does anyone but us understand Dwarf Fortress  (Read 13409 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone but us understand Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2010, 10:30:33 am »

My non-dwarfy roommates cannot comprehend DF and its depth.  One of them always says "Oh, he's playing that Elf Fortress game again," and I mutter to myself, "I would NEVER play such a game...  Bloody tree huggers..."

DF in a nutshell
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2010, 11:07:26 am »

If anyone says they "understand" Dwarf Fortress, they don't.  Or they're psychotic. 

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2010, 11:10:23 am »

ONE OF US!

ONE OF US!

ONE OF US!

Anyway, no. I'm still not really sure how to play it but just flail through it in till it falls apart XD
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2010, 12:09:35 pm »

I've got Dwarf Mode down pretty well but the only thing i have yet to learn is screw pump stacks.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2010, 01:14:20 pm »

I do not exactly remember how I got started playing Dwarf Fortress, but I do know it had something to do with Boatmurdered. First time I played it, I didn't even know how to mine, and gave up on it. A few days later I found the Complete and Utter Newby tutorial, and that was what pulled me back in.
Now I can run a fortress pretty well, although I'm still not to the point where I can pull off stupid dwarf tricks just for the hell of it.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2010, 02:41:55 pm »

Been playing DF for years. Still flood my fort trying to make a Farm. Glorious.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2010, 03:04:30 pm »

I don't think anyone without that special kind of autism could ever understand...

I don't have difficulty understanding the ASCII at all, and I rarely fail to visualize something in my head (the exception being it's absolutely mad) but I notice that almost nobody can see things that aren't there, and that's almost a prerequisite to enjoying Dwarf Fortress.
It's almost like I'm the only person that spent his childhood playing with pebbles instead of army men or pixels and pixel clusters in MSpaint instead of strategy games...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2010, 10:44:38 pm »

Well I've noticed DF becomes a lot more coherent for people you tell them it's a diagram made of ASCII characters.

Though it's been a long time since I've seen it as ASCII characters, I look at the outside my fortress and see beautiful rolling hills dotted with trees, with a sparkling brook winding through. 
I was really wigged out one time when I glanced at it out of the corner of my eye and all I saw was letters and squiggles
"So this must be how normal people see it." I thought.
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2010, 03:15:22 pm »

"HehHeHeeHeE, I GOT IRON ORE SO I CAN KILL THOSE ALLIGATORS"

Person:Niiiiiice?

Puddums

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2010, 03:22:29 pm »

I've successfully introduced one person to DF, and two others had no idea what was going on, even when I was there to help them in person.

Tyrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2010, 06:30:07 pm »

I don't think anyone without that special kind of autism could ever understand...

I don't have difficulty understanding the ASCII at all, and I rarely fail to visualize something in my head (the exception being it's absolutely mad) but I notice that almost nobody can see things that aren't there, and that's almost a prerequisite to enjoying Dwarf Fortress.
It's almost like I'm the only person that spent his childhood playing with pebbles instead of army men or pixels and pixel clusters in MSpaint instead of strategy games...

I'm not autistic and I see it like that. I also played with nuts and pebbles instead of toys too, so that might be the commonality...

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2010, 06:38:09 pm »

I think I've underestimated my friends.

Me: So I've embarked on a frozen landscape that somehow has sand.  THis is nice so I can actually make glass.
Him: So make a fort and turn the entire floors into clear glass.
Me: Why?
Him:  So all the dwarves can look up the female dwarves skirts!

I think I found my next project.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2010, 07:09:45 pm »

I think I found my next project.
Better set your dwarves' speed to 0, otherwise those floors won't be necessary by the time the project is done...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2011, 05:48:14 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: Nothing but self-congratulatory cirlce-jerk threads and the same four jokes about cats, lava, elves, and beards, over and over and over.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2011, 06:31:24 pm »

My younger brother loves to hear stories about df, to the extend that he now actively searches for them on the internet (read "bay12"). He refuses to play himself though, even though I tried to make him many times.

There's also a guy I know from university, who asked me what I was playing there all the time. Showed him my df screen and he went "wtf is this shit?!". I guess he never saw a roguelike or anything before.
Then I told him what it was all about, and he seemed intersted.
I then told him that somebody had made a turing machine in df, and he was seriously impressed and amazed.

I think with a little bit more work he'll be one of us soon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9