Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Does anyone but us understand Dwarf Fortress  (Read 13372 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone but us understand Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »

... I think I love your mother.

I've heard that tale before, so I have loved his mother for a long time. Bowchickabowwow.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 05:12:52 pm »

We can all agree that we love her mother then.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 05:22:31 pm by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 05:20:49 pm »

... I think I love your mother.

I've heard that tale before, so I have loved his mother for a long time. Bowchickabowwow.
"Her" mother, thanks  :D
She understands the intellectual work needed to make a functioning pump stack without flooding the whole friggin' place. Or maybe she overestimates it grossly. I dunno. But I'm sure she would also be addicted if she was more computer-savvy.
I'll tell her she's loved by geeks and that she should appreciate it.  :P
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 05:23:11 pm »

I am *not* a geek!!! ;)
*Hugs*

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 05:24:24 pm »

But I am.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 05:24:56 pm »

I am *not* a geek!!! ;)
Alright then, Proficient Computer Users.  ;D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 05:26:23 pm »

I'm actually a geek.
*Hugs*

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 05:27:26 pm »

You're just not a !!GEEK!!.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 05:27:59 pm »

I'm a +geek+
*Hugs*

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 05:28:33 pm »

And I am a *Dwarvern geek roast*

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2010, 05:29:57 pm »

And we're both *derailing* this thread.
*Hugs*

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2010, 05:30:29 pm »

I believe you meant !!THREAD!!.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2010, 06:10:33 pm »

IMO

Personal
-1 friend
-My brother

General
-/tg/ and /v/
-SA forums

To be honest I noticed df thanks to /tg/ with a certain unremembered thread. Started playing with the wiki along side and before you know it you're on the 12th bay.

On topic: I have tried 'converting' friends and roommates towards the fortresses but in hindsight stuff like the noob fort would've been very helpfull. I guess the startup of a personal game of dwarf fort is something of an effort untill those moments of fun happen!
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2010, 06:37:01 pm »

Uhm, I'm one of those people who got introduced to DF by a real life pal.

His first attempt was like: "hey, you like Nethack and ADOM, right? There's another ASCII game, but you don't control just one person. You control an entire civilization."

I downloaded, was overwhelmed after a few attempts, and gave up.

He did several more attempts in the weeks after that. I was always responding: "Cool. But I can't even figure out how to change the z-level/dig/which of the three billion workshops I need."

He then started to tell me stories of his fortress. Interesting ones, like that one about his fortress with the river in the southwestern corner, his dwarves up in the north, and his attempts of building a channel between the river and his dwarves; only to find out that the water was salty. He apparently barely managed to desalinate some of it with an obscure windmill/pump construction before they all perished.

Sounded good, but I still wouldn't budge.

Then he gave me the link to TinyPirate's tutorial. Suddenly, I got an idea of what to build when: that had really been the main obstacle between me and DF up to that point.

So, if you want to give other people a DF fix:
- first, evaluate if they run in panic at the sight of ASCII. If so, fix them with a tilesetted game.
- next, tell them awesome stories about your own struggles with the game. Failed fortresses create more of these than fortresses that are running smoothly. Or almost fails, but "I fixed it in the last second before they were all dead" stories. Link them up with Boatmurdered, too.
- finally, link them up with a decent tutorial so that they get the idea of "first, some farms. Then, a carpenter and a still. Then, whatever" type of stuff. This helps, because "well, what do I need now? Uhhhhm.... glass window sounds nice!" sort of building priorities are fun, but lead too just a bit TOO much Fun. Also, hook them up with the magmawiki.

If you follow these steps, these random people might surpass you in your nerdidwarfiness soon and build pump stacks that you haven't dreamed of yet.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:49:01 pm by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2010, 06:46:45 pm »

i usually freak people out hen i tell stories how i sling enemies onto hillsides with my bridgepult or set em to fire with magma .. or how i built an awesome fort with capabilities to drown my leaders in their bedrooms :) in my sourroundings  (reallife and interne) nobody wants me to tell anymore :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9