Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Does anyone but us understand Dwarf Fortress  (Read 13400 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone but us understand Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 08:22:13 pm »

This thread needs a suicide pact.

This. Please.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2010, 09:21:36 pm »

I turned a friend of mine to it when I was living with my old roomies. The one girl thought we were hilarious, and his girlfriend wanted to kill me, I'm pretty sure. He spent more time on his dwarves than with her, but she was also a tad crazy, so I am unsurprised.

We'd literally stay up some nights in the living room until 5am discussing Dwarf Fortress, new engineering feats, and cat disposal.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2010, 09:28:12 pm »

The only other person I know who is even aware of Dwarf Fortress is my 10 year old brother. He likes all the stories I tell him about it. He said he wanted to play it once, but it didn't work out for obvious reasons. He still likes the game though.

I think my playstyle rubbed off on him. When he saw unicorns, his first question was whether or not he could use them for war.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2010, 09:28:22 pm »

Quote from: nnn
SA is SomethingAwful, the ones behind Boatmurdered.
I know
and:
Quote from: cog disso
I know

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2010, 02:55:35 am »

I turned a friend of mine to it when I was living with my old roomies. The one girl thought we were hilarious, and his girlfriend wanted to kill me, I'm pretty sure. He spent more time on his dwarves than with her, but she was also a tad crazy, so I am unsurprised.

We'd literally stay up some nights in the living room until 5am discussing Dwarf Fortress, new engineering feats, and cat disposal.
Being "crazy" has nothing to do with it who wouldn't want to have dozens of hot sexy smiley faces under their control.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2010, 05:32:12 am »

I started playing, and didn't even realise it was obscure for about a year because three other people in my tafe course also played it, independantly of each other.

Of course it was a games dev course so you'd hope they'd be aware of the greatest game ever to be created...

Tried to get friends into it, one refused because it sounds too awesome and he wants to live his life.
Others all found it too convoluted in some manner to play.
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2010, 10:20:37 am »

I had gotten my sister into playing, but she doesn't have regular access to a computer these days, so she hasn't played since the 2D days.  I know a handful of people that play in the group I hang out with on occasion, but we don't really talk about it (one guy is a bit of a blowhard).

I've never had trouble with the ASCII but I grew up playing the original Rogue, so I had exposure to reading the code during my formative years.  In the right context, the character 'G' still terrifies me.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 01:04:16 am »

I managed to get two friends at least to play it. And my brother plays it sometimes. Really took quite a bit of work getting one of those friends to play. >.< But it paid off in the end, though he keeps complaining that regardless of what he does, his fisherdwarves die.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2010, 01:09:14 am »

I just asked the guy sitting next to me at work if he understood anything going on in a DF screenshot I showed him.

he said 'not really'

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 01:20:02 am »

All my friends, family, and co-workers know about it from what I tell them.  They all seem to be at least slightly bemused by some of the insane things I, or my dwarves, manage to pull off or encounter.  They all respect me enough to not beat me about the head and neck when I bring it up.  Do any of them understand it?  No.  I've managed to convince about 1/2 of my friends to at least give it a try however... at which they'd die one time, usually horrendous and slowly, and then refuse to play it every again.  Sissies.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2010, 03:09:43 am »

It's almost like they don't want to play a game where the only eventual outcome is an inevitable, painful death... crazy people!
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2010, 03:58:04 am »

This. Please.

Clicked from the middle of the first page to this. Should I be concerned?
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2010, 04:50:12 am »

Strangly, I read DF ascii perfectly :P

I can even get pretty immersed in adventurer mode, and I see dwarf mode as dwarves, cars, dogs ect. Even when I see ascii pictures now, I can only see the pictures if I concentrate, otherwise it's just a mess of cats, dogs and dragons :P

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2010, 07:20:57 am »

My non-dwarfy roommates cannot comprehend DF and its depth.  One of them always says "Oh, he's playing that Elf Fortress game again," and I mutter to myself, "I would NEVER play such a game...  Bloody tree huggers..."
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2010, 07:31:18 am »

One of my friends is a big nut for DF and other roguelikes, i'm trying to introduce another friend (who plays DND) to DF.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9