Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570936 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1920 on: May 18, 2011, 12:35:26 pm »

Well I put some effort into playing it more, and managed to get somewhere, I did the grishnak quest or whatever, but after that didnt really know where to go and listened to the crazy zealot and went to that salts estate in the stills or whatever. Found nothing there
First: do the rust wells quest (go to the dude in the southwest corner, and after completing his first two quests then he will ask you to get wire at the rust wells).
Second: do the quest where you go to red rock (which it sounds like you did) and find and kill the grish.
Third: go to the grit gate, go there and do the quests there, which should last you quite a while.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: May 18, 2011, 02:17:32 pm »

Jeeze, new Golgotha is nice, but really hard.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: May 18, 2011, 04:31:12 pm »

Disregard this post, problem resolved.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:34:54 pm by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: May 19, 2011, 11:34:01 am »

*Fixed a huge bug in missile weapon code that was causing it to take strength into account for penetration (works out, in most cases, to a huge buff to missle weapons for low str characters, and a slight nerf for high str characters)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: May 19, 2011, 03:20:41 pm »

Yay, my tinkerer characters will be more viable.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: May 19, 2011, 11:46:47 pm »

Did this bug apply to all missile weapons?  If so, bummer, because I just started getting somewhere using a low strength Artifex and I don't want to abandon him after so many attempts...  He will probably die somewhere in or around Golgotha anyway... though, I did hike up his Ego this time.  Is Rebuke Robot a useful skill?

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: May 20, 2011, 10:55:22 pm »

I just tried this game out yesterday. I really like playing as a chimera mutant, though I'm trying out an artifex now as well. The keys are a bit hard to use on my laptop -- I have to occasionally switch numlock on and off to get some of them to work.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: May 21, 2011, 04:33:37 am »

I play on a laptop too and I changed the keybindings so when I press shift + arrow key it will go diagonal. Took some time to get used to and I only use it in combat but it's better than fiddling with numpad imo.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: May 21, 2011, 07:31:09 am »

Did this bug apply to all missile weapons?  If so, bummer, because I just started getting somewhere using a low strength Artifex and I don't want to abandon him after so many attempts...  He will probably die somewhere in or around Golgotha anyway... though, I did hike up his Ego this time.  Is Rebuke Robot a useful skill?

I've never found it useful. I think it was successful once (a couple version back), in Golgotha, but even though it said something about 'wandering off' the robot still came for and attacked me immediately the next turn. May have been caused by also being attacked by another robot (probably similar, e.g. both drillbots) at the time. That is, the rebuke worked, then the still-aggressive bot attacked me on his turn, and the one I rebuked  'came back' to help his friend, even though 'came back' in this instance means 'never left.'

Not sure it's terribly useful since it seems to be based on ego, which true humans don't have much need to bump because it only affects mutations, which they can't get, and a few skills. I guess it could be a rare last-ditch effort game saver, as roguelikes sometimes have.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:19:41 pm by Niveras »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: May 21, 2011, 10:40:25 am »

I usually have a decent ego as a true human, just so I can get a decent price in the shops.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: May 21, 2011, 03:49:36 pm »

Never metamorph into a slumberling. Hilariously powerful, but you sleep 24/7 and can't even quit out.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: May 21, 2011, 06:37:15 pm »

I've never found it useful. I think it was successful once (a couple version back), in Golgotha, but even though it said something about 'wandering off' the robot still came for and attacked me immediately the next turn. May have been caused by also being attacked by another robot (probably similar, e.g. both drillbots) at the time. That is, the rebuke worked, then the still-aggressive bot attacked me on his turn, and the one I rebuked  'came back' to help his friend, even though 'came back' in this instance means 'never left.'

Not sure it's terribly useful since it seems to be based on ego, which true humans don't have much need to bump because it only affects mutations, which they can't get, and a few skills. I guess it could be a rare last-ditch effort game saver, as roguelikes sometimes have.

Hmm...  That is a bummer.  I did run into a few scrap shovelers and it failed to work.  That was at 20 ego, too.  Fortunately I found a chain gun recently; hopefully that hurts them because I don't know what else I can do to get rid of them.  Definitely worried about the stronger robots.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: May 21, 2011, 07:14:56 pm »

EMP grenades. It's basically stun gas that only effects robots, extremely effective. If you can swing it, a grenade launcher makes it easy to use grenades.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: May 21, 2011, 08:26:29 pm »

Yeah, I've tried EMPs but they walk it off pretty quickly.  The issue is that I don't have any way to dispatch them after they are phased.  The chaingun was nice, but then I died because of my stupid complacency.  On the bright side, I can get the new version now and hopefully my missiles will be more effective.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 08:36:52 pm by Carrion »

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: May 21, 2011, 09:15:32 pm »

I fight robots and hard stuff one at a time by just going back upstairs (only 1 or 2 will follow) and using choke points all the damn time
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 250