Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570370 times)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2925 on: July 16, 2015, 09:31:12 am »

So hey, how are sales going? Better than expected? worse?

First day was pretty roughly like Sproggiwood (a bit higher), so I guess about as expected? Though we didn't know quite what to expect at all for something as corner-case as Caves of Qud.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2926 on: July 16, 2015, 09:32:49 am »

Good to hear. For my part I've been recommending it to several people and will do a review later today.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: July 16, 2015, 10:32:35 am »

Just snagged my copy. Looking forward to checking out the latest version tonight.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: July 16, 2015, 09:01:02 pm »

One really minor thing:  One of the screenshots on Steam has "You pass buy a Joppa" in it.  It might be worth fixing that wording if you're going to screenshot it on Steam!

Although I suppose anyone unfamiliar with the game won't know what Joppa is and therefore won't know the grammar is wrong.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: July 16, 2015, 09:11:50 pm »

Purchased!  Awesome to see this wonderful game getting some love.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: July 17, 2015, 04:21:40 am »

I normally can't stand Roguelike tilesets, but this one is beautiful. I really dig the style, and I think it fits perfectly with the game. There is a problem where some entities have tiles that don't match what they are, like the oozes in Golgotha all looking like humans, but stuff like that's to be expected; I was actually surprised by how many unique tiles there were. I appreciate how each of the true men castes and mutant backgrounds has its own pretty picture.

I'm a long-time fan of Caves of Qud and Gamma World (there aren't many games that let you run around as a hideous goddamn radiation monster), and I've been meaning to register my copy for a while. I bought it on Steam yesterday and have been having a blast with the new version. I hope you make a million bucks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2931 on: July 17, 2015, 04:29:12 am »

Speaking of, sometimes when you crit something its tile goes all red. Looks weird and its hard to tell if its still there or if you killed it. Maybe to do with a pool of blood under it? I'll have to test some more.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2932 on: July 17, 2015, 07:27:01 am »

So having gotten back into this and played for a while now...

1. Is there any way to see some backstory on the various castes/arcologies during character creation? (Truekin)
2. Is there any way to see what various traits do? I'm looking at traits for the castes, I don't know what they do or what they are.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: July 17, 2015, 11:25:49 am »

The steam edition is great. What characters are everybody running? I started with a whole series of Arconauts with flaming hands and burgeoning as my main two mutations, but I think wardens are just plain better for survival. They come with two ranged weapon skills and a pretty good attack skill, and a bow can be found pretty quick in red rock, or even a gun if you're lucky. And how does everybody stat their characters? I haven't really had Ego or Willpower above 15 since I rarely use mental mutations.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: July 17, 2015, 04:57:15 pm »

So having gotten back into this and played for a while now...

1. Is there any way to see some backstory on the various castes/arcologies during character creation? (Truekin)
2. Is there any way to see what various traits do? I'm looking at traits for the castes, I don't know what they do or what they are.
1. Nope! Minimalist storytelling is the beauty of Caves of Qud. The only information you get about the true men are the names of the arcologies and castes and what stats and items each caste begins with. Like, you can surmise that the Ekuemekiyye guys are some kind of theocratic jungle society, the Ibulians are Arctic techno-Romans, and the folks from Yawningmoon are burly subterranean dwarf people. The game hands you little hints about the weird arcane world, and you have to imagine what it's like yourself.

2. I assume you mean the skills each caste starts with, which you can see if you go to the skills menu once you begin the game.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2935 on: July 17, 2015, 05:20:07 pm »

Right, I know I can see them once I am in-game. I was kind of hoping to be able to see them beforehand. Seems a sort of obvious thing, to see what a skill does that you get as part of the caste you're picking. No? Some of they are no-brainers but some are very non-obvious. What exactly does snake oiler do? I had to look it up and then make a new character.

These are little QoL things that people are going to be looking for now that it's released to a wider audience.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: July 18, 2015, 08:02:44 am »

So I played the hell out of CoQ a year back - I must have played it pretty much every day for 6 months straight, so I'm very, very excited for this to be being worked on again!

I just wondered what the roadmap for features/expansion are? I read on the website about factions and reputations (which sound amazing) but I wondered if you would be making any other content additions?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: July 18, 2015, 09:36:06 am »

So I played the hell out of CoQ a year back - I must have played it pretty much every day for 6 months straight, so I'm very, very excited for this to be being worked on again!

I just wondered what the roadmap for features/expansion are? I read on the website about factions and reputations (which sound amazing) but I wondered if you would be making any other content additions?

Yeah; at least sound/music and finishing the main plot (which means lots of new areas/items/monsters, etc). We've also got a skill revamp in mind, amongst other random stuff.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: July 18, 2015, 12:25:07 pm »

How would I go about making a viable ranged character?  Does a true man melee still fall off in relative power later on?  Are espers still the king of everything?

EDIT: Do multiple gloves/boots/bucklers on my extra arms/legs do anything?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:36:04 pm by Tnx »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: July 18, 2015, 09:55:53 pm »

From reading some of the comments here over the course of the limited alpha, and also some things on the twitters:  it sounds like tinkers are a viable class now?  Like, you can get XP from things your turrets kill, and you can disassemble your turrets for parts now?  Is that right?

I tried to play a tinker when I first found this game all those years ago, and it was a real struggle.  After many failures, came back with a paladin and cleaned house. 

It seems like ranged builds should be viable, I have not picked up the new version yet but in the old one there were some good skill trees for the various ranged branches that looked like they would be useful in the mid-late game.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 250