Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265173 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2910 on: August 09, 2011, 04:48:56 pm »

Perhaps they just made Dragons really like picking things up. And there happens to be giants there.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: August 09, 2011, 05:41:45 pm »

Maybe it's a sense-breaking method of making the player focus on the dragon? Like it picks up whatever else you might be fighting at the time? I say sense-breaking, because it only does it to that thing and not to you.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: August 09, 2011, 06:00:40 pm »

Seems the Dark Elf screenshot from the Facebook poll was released today, can see some of the night sky as well.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: August 09, 2011, 06:07:08 pm »

Seems the Dark Elf screenshot from the Facebook poll was released today, can see some of the night sky as well.
Fuuuuck yeaaaah.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: August 09, 2011, 06:11:14 pm »

Looks closer to the Morrowindian dark elves than the Oblivionian ones to me for some reason (which is a good thing). Although the clothing looks a bit... flat? Like the studding on the leather look a bit unconvincing. But I dunno. Wonder if that's the new Dark Brotherhood get-up.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2915 on: August 09, 2011, 06:27:05 pm »

Yay, he isn't a smurf :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:28:54 pm by MorleyDev »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: August 09, 2011, 07:33:06 pm »

Dual wielding in reverse grip? What, did Bethsoft play The Force Unleashed 2 and go "hm, what an excellent idea"?
Face look okay, as does the sky. Cool aurora. Also, if you look in the middle of the picutre, there's a small brown speck in the sky. Could it be that birds have invaded Tamriel along with dragons?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: August 09, 2011, 07:41:09 pm »

I can't see how that could be a bird.

But if it is, and they have gotten flying creatures properly implemented, then it will be a big step up from oblivion, especially for modders.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: August 09, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »

Dual wielding in reverse grip? What, did Bethsoft play The Force Unleashed 2 and go "hm, what an excellent idea"?

To be fair, the reverse-grip is a real, valid technique for knife/dagger fighting.

Also, if you look in the middle of the picutre, there's a small brown speck in the sky. Could it be that birds have invaded Tamriel along with dragons?

Might be a dragon far off in the distance?

Not sure if the view distance is quite that far, though.

Edit: Actually, after looking closer at it, it does look like some sort of bird.

Edit 2: Apparently Bethesda's official footage of the demo isn't due for a couple weeks. I imagine that most of the people who wanted to see it already have, though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:59:18 pm by Jehdin »

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2919 on: August 09, 2011, 07:52:22 pm »

I take it none of you gentlemen arguing against the Skyrim skills display have ever played Sword of the Stars? The research screen works just fine. It's laid out on a hollow sphere which you are in the center of, and you spin around and zoom in and out on (to see more techs, or to zoom in close enough to see the names of techs and get details on the one that's selected (if close enough)). You can also double click a tech to zoom all the way in (and select it) or out to a standard zoom if already zoomed in. It works pretty well.

If anything Skyrim's skills display looks inspired by that.
We're talking about the skill list. Not the perk tree. Or at least I am.

I hate to repeat myself, but if they had the skill list alligned vertically on the left and had the constellation part on the right, it'd still look pretty and you could still zoom in to the perk tree, but it would be much more functional.
I'd really like to see this. I like the functionality of a list, but it's boring. And the aesthetic of the constellations are cool, but they're not really functional. Combining the best of them looks like the best way to go.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2921 on: August 12, 2011, 01:25:46 pm »

No hand to hand skill? RUINED FOREVER!

But seriously...playing an unarmed Monk who killed all in his path with fists of fury was basically limited to heavily modded Oblivion. In Morrowind it's only purpose was to knock out enemies in those one quest that didn't want you to kill someone, and in Oblivion the level scaling made it impossible to do enough damage even at 100 skill to do anything in a reasonable number time.

But I'll grant it was still a nice option to have.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: August 12, 2011, 01:41:18 pm »

I still can't help thinking that everything that has any kind of fur looks like crap. The mammoths and the khajiit both look like plastic figurines with fur painted on. That argonian, on the other hand, looks seriously badass.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: August 12, 2011, 02:07:12 pm »

I still can't help thinking that everything that has any kind of fur looks like crap. The mammoths and the khajiit both look like plastic figurines with fur painted on. That argonian, on the other hand, looks seriously badass.
Fur is hard to do. It's possible they left it for last.

But yeah I hope this isn't like Fallout 3, which sort of makes my eyes hurt due to the level of detail being right in the zone where it's overpowering and just under where my brain will start filtering it out.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: August 12, 2011, 03:04:06 pm »

I dunno. I still associate the "plastic" look with Doom 3. This is relatively ok compared to that. I mean, the mammoth looks a bit like an old carpet, but the khajiit looks ok, I'd say.

The argonian's face looks very dragon-like, by the way. Sort of a return to Daggerfall's style?

EDIT: More characters

Orc(2) looks a bit odd. Like a perfectly normal human with make-up and fake teeth on. Probably because of the hair. Reminds me of the hairdos in FO3 and NV.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:25:18 pm by Virtz »
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 201