Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266125 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2295 on: July 06, 2011, 06:23:46 pm »

Because it was the first time I heard it, of course.
Love, scriver~

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: July 06, 2011, 06:29:58 pm »

Well, they better, so we can have things like this and Nehrim.

Nehrim was so much better than vanilla Oblivion for me it was ridiculous.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: July 06, 2011, 06:35:56 pm »

*picks up jaw from floor*

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: July 07, 2011, 05:06:33 am »

That looks pants-wettingly gorgeous, and my PC cries in pain from the mere thought of trying to run it.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: July 07, 2011, 08:00:51 am »

That looks pants-wettingly gorgeous, and my PC cries in pain from the mere thought of trying to run it.
I'm crying in pain from the mere thought of trying to install it.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: July 07, 2011, 08:17:31 am »

I'm crying in pain from the mere thought of my computer trying to run it.

EDIT: And when I visited on the english-info page, my computer got a severe lagspike, and I had to reboot it...  ???
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:27:20 am by anzki4 »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: July 07, 2011, 09:07:12 am »

Am I the only one who thinks taking the textures and blasting them all up to the highest resolution feasibly possible doesn't actually look all that hot? I've seen it in multiple mods for several games and it always ends up with a weird aesthetic.

Practically everything else about that looks impressive though. I bet I could run it. :P

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: July 07, 2011, 10:00:45 am »

Am I the only one who thinks taking the textures and blasting them all up to the highest resolution feasibly possible doesn't actually look all that hot? I've seen it in multiple mods for several games and it always ends up with a weird aesthetic.

Practically everything else about that looks impressive though. I bet I could run it. :P

I agree. I've downloaded Morrowind mods with high-res textures on some new stuff they made, and it looks incredibly jarring when placed in the same area as stuff with lower-res textures.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: July 07, 2011, 10:48:13 am »

Even worse, if it works the same way as Oblivion and people like you more the more famous you are, we might get the same situation as in Fable, when you can make people fall in love with you just by walking past them.

It'll be like the RL teen pop stars, except the mediocre singing is dragon-slaying and the teenage girls are every random NPC you come across. :P

The effect would have actually made perfect sense, if it was limited to the young and impressionable.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2304 on: July 07, 2011, 12:34:43 pm »

Magic could be made really interesting if everybody had stunted magica.

Absorb magic would be hugely in demand, as would magica potions.

You could write a whole world revolving around the sources of magic, and the hunters, farmers, miners, and murderers who find magical elements for sale or use.

Hmmm... I could see many creatures having multiple "sections" of heart, with various effects.
A rat might contain only a single usable portion, but a bear might have a
heart that could fuel several potions.

OK, it's TC time.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Acid

• Bay Watcher
  • Self-diagnosed hardcore lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: July 08, 2011, 12:04:22 pm »

OK, I consider myself a hardcore TES fan and here are my over 9000 cents about the Q'n'A Bethesda did.
+1:like | 0:meh | -1:dislike

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Can't really comment, as they're keeping the details in secret. I liked the were-thing in previous games, so if they keep it, I'll be happy. 0.
Not really a graphics man myself, so don't really care. It does add to the whole aesthetic thing, though. 0.
Well, they're right about that "covering the top of the legs part", but still, why can't you put armour under other armour (as long as the latter has room under). Removing this slot isn't too painful as was the removal when shifting from Morro to Oblivion. I want my slots back! -1.
I'd rather stick to the Fallout style, as in my opinion choices and twists add interest and complexity (=quality). And you know what they say about quality and quantity... -1.
Good they fixed this. Didn't like the scaling in Oblivion. Now this reminds me a little of Diablo, which is a good thing. +1.
Spears: a sad excuse. Seriously, take all the time you want. I bet we can wait for two weeks longer just to see polearms in the game. (if saying two weeks isn't too long to make a handful of models and write stats for them)

Medium armour: categorizing armour into two sections is too rough. If we take three types of armour - leather, chain and plate - we surely can't put them in only two categories, as there are numerous differences between them (for example, leather is lightweight/flexible/low AC; chain is mediumweight/flexible/moderate AC; plate is heavyweight/inflexible/high AC)

Mysticism (recall/mark) and levitation: I'm all all fours for as much freedom and sandboxism as possible, and this just shows you want to push us into some mold. Sure, some parts of the story shouldn't be made easy to avoid, but nothing, and I mean nothing beats that "A-HA" feeling when playing and finding a clever way to escape something (especially when doing something the developers didn't think you would do.) And allowing levitation also allows the devs to make some secret, hard-to-spot-and-reach places that give the player some sweet reward. (OK, all of this goes sepcifically to levitation; teleporting in general could have some restrictions, such as an interruptable channeling time. I'm not even a dev and thsi was an easy to think of solution they could've come up with.
All in all: a BIG -1.
Good, as long as there is no cliched soap opera style drama. +1.
Nothign really changed. The "variant" armour isn't really interesting, too. 0.
Didn't mind the UI before, and as much as I've seen in the gameplay vids, there are things I liek and things I don't like. 0.
(Wasn't enchanting a skill in Morrowind, lol?) Like the fixes and new additions. The new mechanics (specifically of breaking things down) open up some new opportunities. +1.
I don't want to adress the difficulties in race distinction the removal of attributes causes. Otherwise, pretty much nothing changed. 0.
The question seemed pretty simple, and so is the answer. The inability to do everything seems logical to me, so... yeah. 0.
Brute logic, once again? (Though this once again reminds me that gender did have effect in Morro, changing the attributes... which seems logical to me ***FEMINIST SHIELD +3***) 0.
Meh, a boring question, a boring answer. Lol at brawls. 0
The new dragon and combat mechanics seem really interesting and fairly original. +1.
Nothing changed, aside from the perk thing (hope it isn't of three "offensive/neutral/defensive" types). 0.
Can't comment it before I see it. The answer doesn't reveal much. 0.
Destructible terrain, although adding "realism", seems more like eyecandy than a neccessity. 0.
As I've said, not a graphics man. 0.
As long as "non-numeric" reputation actually influences the way NPCs treat me and opens/closes some roads, I'm cool with that. Can't comment yet. 0.
As I understand, no more carriable tools... At times it seemed ridiculous taht you could make some potions in front of Dagoth Ur's face, but that could've been fixed, not removed. And "workshops" restrain the PC, in my opinion. -1.
Once again, cosmetic changes, but they do add realism. 0.
Don't really like the shouts, as I don't like a "I'M THE CHOSEN ONE" story. Judging the answer: +1 (flexibility). Judging the concept: -1. So, overall, a 0.
Need I say captain obvious? No changes here. 0.
As always. 0, nothing changed.

ALL IN ALL: Like-o-meter: 0. That sums up my opinion pretty well: there are changes I like and there are ones I don't. Will just have to see for myself. Although remembering this is the god-damn *5th* Elder Scrolls, they could've learnt soemthing and done it better :-D

Sorry for the wall of text. :-/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:06:39 pm by Acid »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: July 08, 2011, 01:06:18 pm »

(if saying two weeks isn't too long to make a handful of models and write stats for them)

Whooo boy.

You haven't even opened a 3D modeling program before, have you?

Seriously, two weeks to add an entire suite of effects, animations, sounds, textures, models, and then balance them?

As for teleportation and levitation, just get over it already. I know, you just loved hovering around. But the fact is, being able to escape from places easily ruins a huge number of stories. They should never have been added in the first place.

Acid

• Bay Watcher
  • Self-diagnosed hardcore lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: July 08, 2011, 02:11:03 pm »

(if saying two weeks isn't too long to make a handful of models and write stats for them)

Whooo boy.

You haven't even opened a 3D modeling program before, have you?

Seriously, two weeks to add an entire suite of effects, animations, sounds, textures, models, and then balance them?

As for teleportation and levitation, just get over it already. I know, you just loved hovering around. But the fact is, being able to escape from places easily ruins a huge number of stories. They should never have been added in the first place.

Ok, I might've overstated about the two weeks thing. Still, they have dozens of people designated to working in that field and they certainly have time.

Levitation: if the player doesn't want to break the game, then why should he?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: July 08, 2011, 02:59:22 pm »

Ok, I might've overstated about the two weeks thing. Still, they have dozens of people designated to working in that field and they certainly have time.

They. Don't. Have. Time.

As someone who actually works in the software field, I can tell you know that every design decision is, at least in part, a trade-off. There are any number of limitations on the time you can spend on a project. The fact of the matter is, if adding spears means 200 more sales, then they are willing to throw that out because they will spend months making them, costing them much more than they could make. That is a gross simplification, but is in essence how it works.

Levitation: if the player doesn't want to break the game, then why should he?
What exactly are you saying here?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: July 08, 2011, 03:04:31 pm »

Effects, animations, sounds, textures and models do not require balancing. The balancing is a design decision that should be made prior to the actual implementation if at all possible. Which is a moot point, of course, because you're going to be spending more time at the concept stage with more content, but at least from there you can plan properly.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 201