Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266443 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2055 on: May 20, 2011, 10:01:29 am »

I understand if you're tired or something, but it'd be nice if people elaborated on their criticisms.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: May 20, 2011, 10:27:06 am »

Children?  The modding community will help deal with the ungrateful knaves.

Wow, he has apparently completely forgot what the letters RPG stand for.

That's really amazing. You have something that really gives you an emotional reaction, and you take it out. How did this guy get to be a lead designer?
"It was too scary!  Take it out!"
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2057 on: May 20, 2011, 10:43:22 am »

He said that the event made him feel like he was a character in a fantasy novel. He ran for his life and had fear.

And then he says this is bad. What does he expect the game to be about? It sounds like he's trying to make a high-tech version of Progress Quest.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: May 20, 2011, 10:47:57 am »

Many players are introduced to our games because they are might be accustomed to the Call of Duty and thinking "alright, I will try role playing." Our experience is that these players can handle the depth after a few hours.
Because your games is so deep and complicated, Bethie. There's a block function! You can use magic and swords to kill things!

Ffs, Beth. I look forward to your game and all, a lot even, but can you please get over yourselves already?
Love, scriver~

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: May 20, 2011, 10:54:23 am »

Many players are introduced to our games because they are might be accustomed to the Call of Duty and thinking "alright, I will try role playing." Our experience is that these players can handle the depth after a few hours.
Because your games is so deep and complicated, Bethie. There's a block function! You can use magic and swords to kill things!

Ffs, Beth. I look forward to your game and all, a lot even, but can you please get over yourselves already?

Well, if COD is your starting point, it's got depth.
FWIW, I loved the "hardcore" mode on FallOut: Vegas; if you didn't drink or eat, you'd dehydrate and starve. Just add depth by the flick of a button for those who want it. "Optional depth", or something, so that you can build a good game that still appeals to "the masses".

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: May 20, 2011, 11:10:52 am »

That wasn't Bethesda, that was Obsidian. Hence why there were also more stuff to do with your non-combat skills and dialogue. I doubt Bethesda would ever even consider such a system, even if the game was about surviving in the desert or being shipwrecked on Stereotypical Tropical Island. Well, maybe for the latter. But you get my point. ;)
Love, scriver~

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 20, 2011, 11:17:01 am »

That wasn't Bethesda, that was Obsidian.
*checks* Hey, you're right! I just assumed since they did 3 they did NewVegas as well. That explains.
Then let me rephrase: I hope they steal/learn from them, then :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: May 20, 2011, 12:30:46 pm »

I think it was more about the fact that 3 dragons weren't intended to show up at once for balance or gameplay reasons. But I have no idea.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: May 20, 2011, 12:35:28 pm »

Guys guys guys, they just removed the thing to avoid the "cliffracer effect"
Just replace cliffracers with dragons.
Think of it for a while.

Bas1lyk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: May 20, 2011, 02:58:03 pm »

He said that the event made him feel like he was a character in a fantasy novel. He ran for his life and had fear.

And then he says this is bad. What does he expect the game to be about? It sounds like he's trying to make a high-tech version of Progress Quest.

Maybe, just maybe, the player - you know, a dragonborn whom the gods have bestowed with an ancient power among mortals shared by Tiber Septim himself and which surpasses even that of the Greybeards - ISN'T supposed to be soiling himself in terror and cowering in a ditch when dragons show up? And perhaps that three dragons at once inadvertently altered the experience they were trying to craft?

Don't get me wrong, there's a legitimate concern in not wanting things to be too easy, and I don't want the player to be able to carve up everything in his path without breaking a sweat either - fear and danger is good for instilling respect in the player towards his enemies - but if they had set out with the intention of making the player feel like Aragorn and he ends up feeling like Frodo then it would have been regarded as a failure, and rightly so.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 20, 2011, 03:48:26 pm »

Guys guys guys, they just removed the thing to avoid the "cliffracer effect"
Just replace cliffracers with dragons.
Think of it for a while.
... God. Oh, God...

*quivers in a corner, crying*

On the other hand, as long as it happens just the once, and you have to run for your life (for a change, friggin nanny-games), that's actually quite cool.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 20, 2011, 10:42:03 pm »

I was just thinking of an idea for a challenge/roleplaying Morrowind character. I don't usually roleplay much/at all but I thought this would be cool: Pacifist thief. I make my living by robbing the shit out of people, but I can't do lasting physical harm to anyone.

Basically, what skill sets should such a character have? I'd say the important ones would be:

Athletics/Acrobatics: Since I'd certainly be on the move a lot, and running away, these are important; also they give me ways to level up since I won't constantly be raising weapon skills.
Alchemy: Because brewing potions is great for any character. Fortify speed anyone?
Hand to Hand: What do you think? Can this character use hand-to-hand combat? It doesn't cause lasting harm after all. On the other hand, it's completely freaking useless.
Mercantile/Speechcraft: Not sure if they're worth it though. I think Mercantile is pretty pointless given the game's economics, but Speechcraft could be great for talking my way into and out of situations. And because quite a few valuable items are on people and can only be taken off their dead body, I might be hard up for cash and need the Mercantile anyway. But I still think it sucks.
Sneak/Security: Duh.
Alteration: Tons of useful protection and mobility spells, plus the pseudo-offensive spell Burden which could theoretically help get bad guys off my back without physically harming them. I recall it being kind of useless though. Still good for the rest of the spells.
Destruction: Actually has a handful of spells that could be very handy: Disintegrate Weapon takes the bite out of people trying to kill me, and Drain Fatigue and Drain Strength could both do the same, removing somebody from combat long enough to make a getaway. These three may not be good enough to be worth spending a skill slot on though.
Illusion: Duh. Tons and tons of useful spells for both stealth and self-defense.
Mysticism: Between Detection, Mark/Recall/Intervention, Soultrap, Spell Absorption (!), and Reflect (!), I'd say this is also a no-brainer. Being able to cast utility spells saves carrying magic items (=more room for loot). Reflect might violate the pacifism though as it is voluntarily causing harm.
Restoration: Has some nice effects but I tend to see it as overlapping with Alchemy. Does the benefit gained from not lugging potions around outweigh the all-around usefulness of alchemy, and the fact that self-made potions are way better than healing spells?
Unarmored: For obvious reasons. Then again, might not light armor be better? Or should I just rely on protective magic?

So an idea for a build....

Major Skills:
Sneak
Security
Illusion
Athletics
Alteration

Minor:
Mysticism
Alchemy
Light Armor or Unarmored...or maybe Speechcraft
Restoration
Acrobatics...or Destruction

Favorite Attributes: Intelligence and Willpower (seems a bit odd for a thief but they govern most of my skills! Although a boost to speed would also be nice.)

Birthsign: Probably The Lady, because that extra Endurance at the beginning really helps beef up hit points and the Personality would go a long way with this type of character. Then again, The Atronach is pretty key for any magic-using character, and having that extra Spell Absorption would REALLY help when I can't get rid of spells hitting me by killing the caster.

The main changes I might make would be to ditch one of the minor skills for Speechcraft, and I'm still torn between whether Acrobatics is even worth putting in there or not. Also, I feel like Mysticism and particularly Alchemy should be major skills but I don't know what to trade out for them.

Anyway, what are your takes on this kind of character?

Also, are there any guilds where none of the quests require offing somebody? I can't remember the Thieves' Guild but I feel like it probably comes up at some point. Maybe the Temple? But that's hardly in character.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:47:44 pm by Africa »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2067 on: May 20, 2011, 10:44:16 pm »

I just realized I never, ever use spell reflection/absorption. They only work when you get hit, and it is stupidly easy to dodge spells.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: May 20, 2011, 10:49:09 pm »

I just realized I never, ever use spell reflection/absorption. They only work when you get hit, and it is stupidly easy to dodge spells.

True. But you don't have to worry about dodging 'em when you have 50% natural absorb and 50% temporary.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 21, 2011, 01:04:50 am »

It's even easier to pretend to dodge them, and then stand still.

It's also kinda funny.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 201