Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266446 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1935 on: March 31, 2011, 03:17:15 pm »

If we were to look at feature meaningfulness based on time spent using them, then Morrowind would be a hiking simulator and Oblivion would be a compass following simulator. Most of Oblivion's content (most notably quests) was geared towards combat. In fact, they've always been in TES. Everyone keeps sending you off to dungeons to get something or kill someone. And the dungeons are always full of generic enemies which keep respawning.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Besides that last remark (why can I see in dungeons with no torches?), I'll agree that it's possible and concede that point. But more importantly, is there any sort of incentive to avoiding combat (other than metagame stuff like roleplaying)? I don't think I remember picking a single pocket in all the time I've played, and the enemies wear all the good stuff anyway.

Wait, what? Roleplaying is metagame stuff now? How do you figure that? Oblivion is an RPG. You do know what that acronym means, right? Asking if there's any incentive to do stuff other than to roleplay in a roleplaying game is like asking if there's any incentive to drive around in cars in Need for Speed other than racing.
There's just you and the computer. And the computer doesn't care. The thing about the term game is that it implies some rules being applied to what otherwise would be a toy. A role-playing game is supposed to apply some rules to the role-playing aspect (hence the stats and other such RPG aspects making you interact with the world accordingly to your role). If you were playing with real players, then they could react to your dynamic role-playing somehow. There aren't, though. Nothing in the game world will react to you being in role or not.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: March 31, 2011, 03:32:38 pm »

Oblivion is an RPG.
Firstly, I only read the last page, so sorry if I missed a point somewhere.
In my opinion there isn't many games that should be called RPG, as any game where you can change stats or traits, no matter how minuscule the change is, gets branded RPG.
Oblivion is not a game that tells an epic adventure and is more of a sandbox where your mind makes up the tale, so if you dont make that tale its just a question of in what manner you are going to get items or find new places.
I played Morrowind that way and it was fun to simply go out in the world and find dungeons and the treasures within. Perhaps you could argument that I was playing a treasure hunter or the like but I never imagined that I was playing some character.

You say that oblivion isn't a combat oriented game? There isn't much else to do. Conversations is just as meaningful as in old NES rpgs. You can go around stealing things or prancing around in the countryside looking at trees and running from wolves.
Really, you either sneak or kill stuff(or get them killed)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: March 31, 2011, 03:39:16 pm »

so dwarf fortress is a menu oriented game? and simcity is a left button clicking oriented game?

combat it's just a mean. and the minor part in oblivion. if you played it fighting every time you weren't idle, that's ok, that's your way. but that's not the grit and meat of oblivion.

that would be like saying that the infrared commands are the primary part of television entertainment. yes, they are, in a certain twisted sense. but it's just not that way.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: March 31, 2011, 04:10:26 pm »

If we were to look at feature meaningfulness based on time spent using them, then Morrowind would be a hiking simulator and Oblivion would be a compass following simulator. Most of Oblivion's content (most notably quests) was geared towards combat. In fact, they've always been in TES. Everyone keeps sending you off to dungeons to get something or kill someone. And the dungeons are always full of generic enemies which keep respawning.

Whaddya know... ;D

There's just you and the computer. And the computer doesn't care. The thing about the term game is that it implies some rules being applied to what otherwise would be a toy. A role-playing game is supposed to apply some rules to the role-playing aspect (hence the stats and other such RPG aspects making you interact with the world accordingly to your role). If you were playing with real players, then they could react to your dynamic role-playing somehow. There aren't, though. Nothing in the game world will react to you being in role or not.

That's true only in this particular RPG. The philosophy behind TES has always been "be who you want to be, go where you want to go". If you want to be a munchkin, then sure, you can. You can also limit yourself on purpose. I find it odd that a DF player doesn't appreciate the value of self-imposed challenges.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: March 31, 2011, 04:40:32 pm »

Asscreed's wallcliming is almost entirely automated
Asscreed is not about wallclimbing and freerunning?

(or free running in the case of Asscreed)
Asscreed for example

Ass Creed

I award you the Unfed Troll of the Month badge.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: March 31, 2011, 05:07:33 pm »

That's true only in this particular RPG. The philosophy behind TES has always been "be who you want to be, go where you want to go". If you want to be a munchkin, then sure, you can. You can also limit yourself on purpose. I find it odd that a DF player doesn't appreciate the value of self-imposed challenges.
Role-playing in Oblivion is not really a self-imposed challenge though. It's self-imposed something, but it ain't a challenge. I mean, what do you call pretending to be a guard and standing there at Cheydinhal's keep entrance while the other guard obliviously stares at you? If Oblivion's wiki is to be trusted, that's something people actually do for "role-playing". You can't really "role-play" anything other than a hero without the world's believability collapsing around you.

And I'd say Daggerfall had the right idea for imposing challenges. Actual game mechanic related disadvantages in return for greater XP rates or other game mechanic advantages.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:24:26 pm by Virtz »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: March 31, 2011, 05:13:35 pm »

so dwarf fortress is a menu oriented game? and simcity is a left button clicking oriented game?
And by that comparison oblivion is a console control oriented game, what your point?

combat it's just a mean. and the minor part in oblivion. if you played it fighting every time you weren't idle, that's ok, that's your way. but that's not the grit and meat of oblivion.
You are a mage, fighter, rogue or a mix of it.
Doing quests involves using spells, sneaking or bashing faces in.
Exploring involves... nothing really, just run in whatever direction and watch the trees. Any other discoveries mostly involves hostiles so back to spells, sneaking or bashing faces in.
In towns? Shopping, Stealing, Stop right there, criminal scum, Listening to people(Not talking, because nothing you say matters and they don't really have anything to say anyways.)

I'm sorry, what is the "grit and meat of oblivion." then?
Oh, on "if you played it fighting every time you weren't idle", If you are idle you're not playing the game.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: March 31, 2011, 05:27:43 pm »

And by that comparison oblivion is a console control oriented game, what your point?

was not a point. was a counter argument to the silly statement that oblivion focus is "obviously combat".

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1943 on: March 31, 2011, 05:33:16 pm »

This is completely unproductive. Discuss Skyrim and/or take this to another thread.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: March 31, 2011, 05:36:03 pm »

if you want to hear a point, read the point of the actual executive producer on what oblivion it's all about:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/community/rpg-next-generation/

that is, "Live another life, in another world", focusing on huge sidequests and npc and dialogs and tons of little touch in the hugeness of the world for no real other reason that "You need a certain amount of size and choices so that experience is actually meaningful."

but meh, don't let fact comes into the way of your pretty reasoning that 'I like to do fighter, I fight in oblivion, oblivion is about combat'

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: March 31, 2011, 05:56:09 pm »

This is completely unproductive. Discuss Skyrim and/or take this to another thread.
Yes It is rather off-topic.

if you want to hear a point, read the point of the actual executive producer on what oblivion it's all about:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/community/rpg-next-generation/

that is, "Live another life, in another world", focusing on huge sidequests and npc and dialogs and tons of little touch in the hugeness of the world for no real other reason that "You need a certain amount of size and choices so that experience is actually meaningful."

but meh, don't let fact comes into the way of your pretty reasoning that 'I like to do fighter, I fight in oblivion, oblivion is about combat'

Oh yay, PR.
Live another life, in another world as a mage/fighter/rogue adventurer with all the npcs treating you the same.
Oblivion is a sandbox world where all quests are linear. Dialogues are bland and offer no options.
Oblivion boils down to You, Your objective and the hostiles in between. All items you have/find will help you in combat in someway, Alchemy makes potions to help you, enchanting makes you more effective and so on. Whatever you do(except some things in town), there is combat. Not necessarily melee but as in "hostiles want to harm you, what do you do?"

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: March 31, 2011, 06:06:18 pm »

Ever since Dungeons and Dragons western RPG's have been colored in the direction of combat.

For example, and you could do this with a lot of games, let's take a look at the character stats in oblivion:
Spoiler: ATTRIBUTES: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SKILLS: (click to show/hide)

And that's not even getting started on quests.

Besides, if you want non-combat, there's far better games for it.

Edit: Hrm, kinda jinja'd by Ivefan. But my point stands.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: March 31, 2011, 06:44:30 pm »

Ass Creed

I award you the Unfed Troll of the Month badge.

What? That's a common nickname for the game. Even Yahtzee uses it. C'mon, it's just asking for it.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #1948 on: March 31, 2011, 06:55:28 pm »

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:59:02 pm by Nine »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: March 31, 2011, 07:18:18 pm »

You're wrong, Animations aren't static, spear man can attack in more directions if they don't have a shield and honestly, an opponent who can only trust isn't hard to parry in real life. Did you really play this? I've been killed by a guy with a spear only with an axe and a shield and I'm not bad. Eitherway by circling, feinting, good feet work even a thrust can get in.

If you'd been paying attention, you'd know I don't play multiplayer and am therefore talking about AI opponents.
And yes, the animations are static. There's no parrying, the only movement is from being struck by the attacker.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 201