Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265827 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1620 on: February 21, 2011, 04:29:12 am »

Finishing moves?

I can find that getting old after getting stuck in the same 'finishing move' animation for the 50th time in the middle of combat...

Unless they use Assassin's Creed AI, in which they politely wait until after you are done before attacking you.

They'll probably borrow from Fallout NV and have them only activate on the last remaining combatant.  Your opponents should be able to 'finish you' as well though, the troll should be able to rip bits off of you and eat them, the spider should liquify you and suck your guts out.

Losing is fun.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1621 on: February 21, 2011, 04:57:49 am »

Dead Space?

You die, you get cut in half, or otherwise dismembered.

Skyrim?

You die, a giant spider liquefies you and sucks your organs out through a straw. Or a troll rips you to pieces. Or a dragon burns you alive and eats your crispy corpse. Or a zombie bites you and you become one. Or a medusa turns you to stone. Or a cockatrice simply makes you drop dead. Or a beholder transmutes you into a beholder. Or a bandit stabs you in the heart, and skullfucks you in the face.Or a lion tears your heart out and eats your entrails...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: February 21, 2011, 05:08:24 am »

Or a vampire turns you into a vampire, you may or may not lose your soul, and oh you still get to play. :P

Bet you'd like to play that beholder for an hour or two!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: February 21, 2011, 05:37:30 am »

plenty of good ideas in there.

they still had to convince fan to purchase it up front at full price. after the oblivion bug fiasco. and fallout bugs fiasco. and nv bugs fiasco. and the lame oblivion rpginess. and the lame fallout rpgness.

oh well, I guess the market for 'mild to average' games is strong.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: February 21, 2011, 06:00:35 am »

oh well, I guess the market for 'mild to average' games is strong.

It should tell you something about the state of the gaming industry when these are the best games out.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: February 21, 2011, 08:07:58 am »

What's this?  Don't you know that anyone who thinks anything old is better than anything new is some sort of crazy nostalgia addict who is always wrong?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: February 21, 2011, 08:35:23 am »

What's this?  Don't you know that anyone who thinks anything old is better than anything new is some sort of crazy nostalgia addict who is always wrong?

Of course, how could anything old possibly be good. I mean come on, it's all old and stuff. :)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: February 21, 2011, 10:08:19 am »

Of course, how could anything old possibly be good. I mean come on, it's all old and stuff. :)

"You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!"

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: February 21, 2011, 11:04:13 am »

As cliched as it might sound, I think the trouble might be graphics. Too much focus is put on "MAKE PRETTY GAMES" which results in ridiculous expense just for the sake of a single model. I wouldn't care if a game was ugly as long as it had variety, depth etc.

I remember watching a video of a pretty famous game reviewer (can't remember who or where or what :p) who said something along the lines of, "I hardly have to mention graphics in games in reviews anymore." THAT'S BECAUSE EVERY COMPANY IS EXPECTED TO MAKE PRETTY GAMES YOU FOOL. You'd probably complain if it was an ugly game, but don't mention it when it's pretty because IT'S EXPECTED.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: February 21, 2011, 11:07:48 am »

Yeah, Graphics for some reason, has won out over gameplay. While it's nice when Graphics AFFECT gameplay (Namely, deformable terrain and destructible environments), pretty eye candy should not make the game. Fun mechanics, a stable game, and an enjoyable game SHOULD be much more important.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: February 21, 2011, 11:32:35 am »

Yeah, Graphics for some reason, has won out over gameplay. While it's nice when Graphics AFFECT gameplay (Namely, deformable terrain and destructible environments), pretty eye candy should not make the game. Fun mechanics, a stable game, and an enjoyable game SHOULD be much more important.

Neither of your examples of graphics affecting gameplay have anything to do with graphics. ???
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: February 21, 2011, 12:02:10 pm »

Eh, I have my moods.

Some days the older stuff calls out to me, other times I just want to to walk through someplace beautiful. Fallout 3 was a disapointment because it neither had the "Hey, that's cool!" of the previous members of the series, or the beautiful (When modded) potential of Oblivion. So it was neither a pleasure to walk through or a pleasure to play, it was fun but it lacked... perfect moments.

I still measure most every game I play up to Exile III: Ruined World which I have played to death and does not run on my laptop. :( 

Graphics = Physical Beauty

Gameplay Mechanics = Personality

Lore = Intelligence

Audio = Voice

I have not yet found the perfect game, but a modded skyrim sounds close. (Anything with 100+ mods is probably redeemable.)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: February 21, 2011, 12:15:01 pm »

Are older games really any better? I remember enjoying some pretty terrible games when I was younger.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: February 21, 2011, 12:17:22 pm »

Depends how old. Personally I think old games sound better because the developing companies sound like they really want to make a new and revolutionary game, which they often succeeded in doing. Nowadays we get a lot of sequels.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:37 pm »

Are older games really any better? I remember enjoying some pretty terrible games when I was younger.

Nah, We're just horribly jaded.
---
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 201