Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265405 times)

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #810 on: January 21, 2011, 02:58:51 pm »

That info just seems like a load of claptrap made up after the fact, to be honest. I find the image of a dragon using its claws to scratch marks into stone insanely funny. Like... why claws? Don't they have, like, tools? Then how did they build these structures on which the script is supposedly to appear? Did they have humanoid slaves for that? Then why didn't they have the slaves do the writing too? It's just weird.
Although it could potentially be made awesome by having the dragon pre-heat the slab with his fire, then use his claws to make impressions into the malleable surface, giving it a glass-like shine and smoothness once it cools down.

Why are you assuming dragons built anything or wanted anything built.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 21, 2011, 03:03:19 pm »

A thief, of whatever race that doesn't make me cringe in horror. I may take the high road on this one and really just wait for a discount, rather than an advanced preview.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 21, 2011, 03:03:32 pm »

I am undecided as to what I'll play. If magic looks better than fireballs for every fire-based spell this time then I'll probably go some sort of destruction+conjuration Breton or High elf. Probably Breton, couldn't stand the high elves' voice in Oblivion. If not then I'll go Nordic warrior.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 21, 2011, 03:23:52 pm »

remember, the elves are douches, look at the beastmen and human history and the tragic end of the dwemer.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 21, 2011, 03:28:34 pm »

That info just seems like a load of claptrap made up after the fact, to be honest. I find the image of a dragon using its claws to scratch marks into stone insanely funny. Like... why claws? Don't they have, like, tools? Then how did they build these structures on which the script is supposedly to appear? Did they have humanoid slaves for that? Then why didn't they have the slaves do the writing too? It's just weird.
Although it could potentially be made awesome by having the dragon pre-heat the slab with his fire, then use his claws to make impressions into the malleable surface, giving it a glass-like shine and smoothness once it cools down.

Why don't us humans pick things up via mind controlled robots instead of using our hands? Because it's so much simpler and easier to use our hands and for the dragons it's so much simpler and easier to write with their claws.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 21, 2011, 03:46:37 pm »

The thing is, Morrowind with its cultural clashes was basically a fantasy version of the middle east, and all of the real-world references fell roughly into that region, so it all kind of vaguely fit together. A lot of the backstory was precisely about the mishmash of influences and the dunmer hating the imperials for imposing their culture on the province (the parallel made all the mode blatant by the Imperials being Roman-styled). There was a reason for it. The cuneiform just seems... random. Like they thought: "Well we need a new script, but we don't want runes, that's too obvious, so let's pick some other distinctive looking script from the pages of history."

Okay, good point. It does seem a bit arbitrary. Well, not that the other scripts have been any less arbitrary. You know, the dwemer writing, which is the one that you could expect to be from ancient Mesopotamia, mostly reminds me of those old-school segmented displays. ._.

remember, the elves are douches, look at the beastmen and human history and the tragic end of the dwemer.

So, what's your pet theory on the end of the dwemer? Something tragic, I gather. :P

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 21, 2011, 04:31:57 pm »

the totally narcissistic elves went underground and beat the shit outta the dwemer, thats my theory and thats why elves will always be dirt in my eyes.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 21, 2011, 04:33:04 pm »

the totally narcissistic elves went underground and beat the shit outta the dwemer, thats my theory and thats why elves will always be dirt in my eyes.

You realize the dwemer were elves, right?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 21, 2011, 04:33:21 pm »

Yes, because elves are capable of killing (almost) every Dwemer without leaving any trace of dead bodies.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 21, 2011, 04:35:59 pm »

theres always magma in a dwemer ruins, come on its not that hard.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 21, 2011, 04:39:28 pm »

The dwemer basically disappeared where they stood, rapture-style. Including the dwemer on other parts of the continent. The dunmer and other races had no idea what the hell happened, and wouldn't even have been able to coordinate something like that.

Also: Dwemer, dunmer, and all the other -mer races are all types of elf. Saying you hate elves because they killed the dwemer (which is flat-out impossible anyway) is a tad silly, since elves are the only ones involved there, on both ends.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 21, 2011, 04:41:57 pm »

oh crap i forgot they are not real dwarves.... high elves suck.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 21, 2011, 04:45:47 pm »

oh crap i forgot they are not real dwarves.... high elves suck.

What do high elves have to do with the disappearance of the dwemer? The dwemer were probably virtually irrelevant to them on the whole, and no altmer lived on Vvardenfell.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 21, 2011, 04:48:47 pm »

it was a random comment....

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #824 on: January 21, 2011, 06:34:27 pm »

My comment on the dragon language thing is more of a question of how the fuck the dragons are supposed to speak some of the sounds. For example, just try making a V sound without using your lips. B, F, M, P, V, and W are all impossible to form without lips. Dovahkiin is impossible to say because of that.

Also, "dragons" in TES are actually wyverns, with no front legs or claws. How the fuck are they supposed to write?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 201