Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265180 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #345 on: January 07, 2011, 04:57:20 am »

So the Chosen On- er, "Dragonborn" has to save the world from the big bad evil again.  Well at least this time there seems to be a civil war going on as well.  Here's hoping one side isn't just the big bad's minions.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 07, 2011, 05:17:14 am »

So the Chosen On- er, "Dragonborn" has to save the world from the big bad evil again.  Well at least this time there seems to be a civil war going on as well.  Here's hoping one side isn't just the big bad's minions.
Alduin is (mainly) Akatosh. I find this interesting. I really, really hope they haven't made them separate beings, that would definitely ruin the lore beyond repair. :(

It does not seem like MK's style either, sadly. Bodes bad. Of course, putting a (typical) piece of his on something like this, which is also very much a promotonal deal/marketing move, might not have been considered a smart act, so I've not lost hope yet.

Sorry for spelling, posted from mobile.
Love, scriver~

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 07, 2011, 05:35:57 am »

Who or what is MK?

Well, knowing modern Bethesda I'll be very surprised if they don't make this extremely stupid and generic.  With Oblivion they did it intentionally for the mass appeal it would generate.  I don't see why they'd change now given the massive success that game was.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:39:22 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 07, 2011, 05:56:57 am »

MK - I got really uncertain as to his real name so I won't guess but those are his initials - is a writer and one of the main minds behind TES lore. One can safely say that without him, the setting would have been many times more bland and dnd-ish. Had a influential position during Morrowind's making, but since then he's gone freelance. Still writes a lot of stuff, though.

He's also showned small signs of being an ass, and the lore community sometimes credits him too much (in contrast to much of the rest of the community which downplays his part to very little), but the man' a small genius, so who can blame him? ;)
Love, scriver~

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 07, 2011, 06:01:42 am »

This is the full translation, stolen from the comments at the gameinformer site.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When I read this, I thought, "Shit, that's like something out of Eragon."

That is not a good thing.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 07, 2011, 12:02:37 pm »

Well if you set out to defeat Akatosh, you screw everything else over too(He does control time after all).  Probably gonna be another dragon break(Possible multiple endings if so).
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 07, 2011, 01:15:36 pm »

MK - I got really uncertain as to his real name so I won't guess but those are his initials - is a writer and one of the main minds behind TES lore. One can safely say that without him, the setting would have been many times more bland and dnd-ish. Had a influential position during Morrowind's making, but since then he's gone freelance. Still writes a lot of stuff, though.

He's also showned small signs of being an ass, and the lore community sometimes credits him too much (in contrast to much of the rest of the community which downplays his part to very little), but the man' a small genius, so who can blame him? ;)
MK is Michael Kirkbride.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 07, 2011, 01:27:13 pm »

Yes, I forgot I wanted to edit the post. I wrote it on my cellphone this morning, and as unsure if it was Michael, as well as how to spell Kirkbride.
Love, scriver~

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 07, 2011, 01:32:13 pm »

I never noticed the bethsoft forums had so much lore discussion before O.o.
It looks like this one should be better than Oblivion in at least some respects if some peoples theories are correct. We may be seeing some events that really feel like they matter.

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 07, 2011, 02:37:59 pm »

I've always wondered what douche-baggery MK have done, that signalled that he's an ass? Oddly constructed sentence, I know >.<
And I pray that Bethesda have listened to us, the spiteful haters of Oblivion (Let's face it, that's what we are). There's a couple of things that I wish.
MK's return, or just less... Eragon-esque plot and world. With the focus on DRAH-GUNS this seems too much to hope for... FO3 was very good IMO, and if TESV is an improvement from that game, I'm pleased, gameplay-wise. I just wish they'd scrap the spoken dialogue and just keep it to very important conversations. It would actually make the world more immersive, as characters would be more verbose and you could easily add more dialogue to them with mods. (LGNPC Project of Morrowind, for example).

And for the Nine Divine's sake. No more fantasyville. No more DnD cookiecutter world. No more pseudo-medieval land.
Let Skyrim be something new. :)
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 07, 2011, 02:49:30 pm »

Do people have some problem with the dragons? They're a fairly integral part of the TES lore, and if it's in Skyrim then that doesn't mean that they're copying Eragon or something.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #356 on: January 07, 2011, 03:32:30 pm »

Are you suggesting that there's a problem with focusing on dragons? HMMM?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 07, 2011, 06:41:03 pm »

I've always wondered what douche-baggery MK have done, that signalled that he's an ass? Oddly constructed sentence, I know >.<
Not much, really. Just some common human arrogance. I can only think of one occasion right now, and that was the one developer interview he demanded be put down from TIL's site without giving any (public) reason why. I can't honestly say there's much more to it, and I personally don't care. I can't know what he's like in person, so it doesn't matter in the end. All I care about is his writing.

As for the general hate towards him, that is a whole other question. Well, "hate" might be a too strong word, but you know what I mean. Anyway, I think that can be boiled down to two main reason, if you allow me to go all wannabe psychologist on the issue:
1, His works are, when viewed individually at least, often hard to get into and/or understand, making it hard to appreciate them without having the whole picture beforehand.
2, He became a symbol for the stuff that wasn't included in Oblivion, and for the "good old Morrowind days". Fansof Oblivion then had to dislike him and his writing by proxy, with most people of either side not really knowing nor caring about what actually was and wasn't written by him.

Are you suggesting that there's a problem with focusing on dragons? HMMM?
It's been done, is all. Not saying it can't be done well, but it's gonna be hard to not repeat patterns and stereotypes.
I slightly feel like I might have missed some sarcasm here, so disregard if that is the case.
Love, scriver~

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 07, 2011, 06:43:16 pm »

I don't think it's sarcasm, going by CrownofFire's avatar.  c.c  Just saying.  :D  I'm looking forwards to it, I think it'd be neat to see how they handle it in this kind of game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 07, 2011, 06:48:25 pm »

I can live with the medieval setting. The issue is never the setting ultimately. (I played through Morrowind even though it didn't reach me with its setting.)

The problem is always the things underpinning the setting. When they're done wrong, or just totally absent, it makes the setting seem trite. In Oblivion's case, so much work went into the visuals and not enough elsewhere that the setting was just a constant, painful reminder of the game's failing. A setting without a soul is boring no matter what it is, WWII, Feudal Japan, Fantasy_Realm_0067, or Space.

I just dislike it when developers bend over backward to get away from tropes. Throwing the baby out with the bath water, all that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 201