breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Xsyon
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2011, 04:22:49 pm »

Looked neat. Then I saw the price.

Hahaha. No.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2011, 04:56:32 pm »

There is a lot of different items to craft, weapons, armor, tools, clothing, food, etc. There is also terraforming the enviroment.

As for this apparent sticker shock many of you are having, what do you spend on new games usually?
 This is $39.99 and comes with 2 free months or $0.60 a day. Then it's the industry standard of $15 a month if you stay.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2011, 05:23:59 pm »

Yeah... but we like free games more.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2011, 06:30:28 pm »

As for this apparent sticker shock many of you are having, what do you spend on new games usually?

Unknown company = Unknown factor = Less likely to spend money
Many MMOs promise the world = "I've been bitten once already" = Less likely to spend money
Many sandbox MMOs have been useless pieces of crap = Less likely to spend money.

It's not about the fact it's a game, it's about spending money on a game that will likely be nothing like what they promised.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2011, 09:19:55 pm »

It really does need a trial.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2011, 12:44:43 am »

Yah, the game is getting a trial server shortly after launch - obviously in a world with open-world consequences, land claims, etc you can't really afford to have free account access for trials. No exact ETA -gotta finish getting through the initial launch phase.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2011, 02:37:53 am »

I'd think an open beta would've done better, myself.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2011, 03:34:53 am »

They seem to be having trouble coping with the closed beta numbers at the moment (although their new servers are on order already) :P

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2011, 09:16:45 am »

running like a dream for me today. Most of the lag was due to concurrent downloads and not population. It was an expected issue to some degree, but it was still an unpleasant surprise to say the least. Anyway, they added another 2 weeks of time to those who preordered, making it a total of 10 free weeks now :)

edit: I think the reason for no open beta/trial at this point is that there has been more than enough interest and growth for the way the dev wants to grow the game.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:18:16 am by hemmingjay »

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2011, 09:26:11 am »

When is the last date for preorders?

I currently have literally no money. :| Gonna get money in about two weeks, but I can't buy it 'til then.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2011, 10:45:08 am »

I read the op and was SOLD.
I MUST PLAY THIS!
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2011, 12:37:25 pm »

Last known date for preorder was Feb 28th but that might have changed due to the new server delays; the ISP dropped the ball on their server transfers it seems like, and didn't get it inplace in time.

I'm glad the download server screwups happened though, the backup and save code refinements are very welcome changes.

In an amusing note, I am part of the 'carebear' crafter group Hopi in-game. A group of griefers have called themselves 'Evil Hopi' and set up a camp just up stream from us, within range to come and attack anyone outside our tribal territory.

Thing is they're absolutely /horrible/. I - a tailor - scared away their leader in 1 v 1 combat XD Meanwhile some lumberjacks from our camp went to theirs and cut down all the trees, spelling out the tribe name on their land in logs.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2011, 07:04:36 am »

We should clearly make a clan called < Dwarf >.

Has the beta finished? Or will there still be a wipe after this?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2011, 10:09:47 am »

I want reports on the FUN factor of this game. Is it just WURM but better graphics and less to do? Is it Haven and Hearth but in 3d? A Tale in the Desert with PVP?

I would be interested if there is something more than just sandbox here, like a functioning economy, NPCs and stuff to do with them, etc. Kinda like Eve Online but different.
I got nothing

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 10:39:30 am »

Fun factor: not a traditional MMO so don't expect interaction with NPC's. In fact the only NPC are wild animals, with about 40 in game and more coming. No traditional economy as there is no currency and no vendors. All items are player crafted and traded in person.

Things to do:
Scavenge through piles for crafting materials.
harvest resources(fell trees, make bricks, etc.)
architecture (design and build structures for your own homestead or your tribes lands)
hunt animals, fish
pvp
politics
actual terraforming
crafting. lots and lots of crafting.

Is it fun? Well that depends on you. It is like a cross between classic UO, A tale in the Desert, WURM and darkfall/Mortal online

Is it finished, nope. In fact the game probably won't be truly feature complete for 6-12 months. It is out of beta but there is at least one more wipe expected before the new servers get installed. I'm not here to sell you on it or steer you away. Honestly, I just want to get back to playing it right now.

edit: and I doubt we'll have enough people for a DWARF tribe, although I wouldn't be adverse.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6