Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When would you be most able to commit as a Shareholder or Renter?

Immediately!
- 5 (4.7%)
1-2 years
- 5 (4.7%)
3-5 years
- 15 (14%)
6-10 years
- 24 (22.4%)
This is stupid.
- 39 (36.4%)
Never
- 19 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Bay12 Community - For Realz  (Read 9775 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Commune - For Realz
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 02:54:16 pm »

Fuck my life, I'll start anew with people from the INTERNET.

Let'sgo baby
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:56:33 pm by ToonyMan »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »

What could possibly go wrong?

I think those who are interested in actually being shareholders, though... we should probably all get together first and see if we can't manage something slightly simpler like renting out a house. If we can pull that off without completely destroying any budding social relationships, we might have a better chance of going the distance!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 04:16:12 pm »

So, why seattle?
Eh?
Eh!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 05:11:44 pm »

Good place for tech jobs, good state, best coast?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 05:29:37 pm »

Target Date - October

Let's start by asking where you got that target from.  You mean October of 2011?  October of two months past?  I think they'd be equally plausible.

Exactly. The chin has spoken.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 06:00:41 pm »

Did you miss the year vote above? :P

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 06:58:13 pm »

I could hypothetically do this. Maybe. In 6-10 years.

However, I suggest that you not do this until you know the people in the group. I mean, know them, understand the inevitable quirkiness, accept it, think about the decision. So, if the world doesn't end in 2012, I might be in this around 2016, possibly.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 07:47:11 pm »

Ideally, you would need a 2d or 3d chart to properly display all of the information required. Every potential location (The moon? Canada? Seattle? Japan?) would need a matching likelyhood (Can't, Certainly, Maybe, and a few things like probably or probably not) and timeframe(0-20 years), and then take the average of the location-year points multiplied by probability, and blur it into a nice blobby graph that might look like perlin noise or something, but where good time/location pairs are easily noticable.

As for my vote, rather than put it in the poll, I will elaborate it here: I cannot see any specific date that I could participate in this if it requires moving to another country, so at least 6 years for Seattle, but if it were elsewhere, I might be able to join it within a year, or, depending on the location, at most 20 years, possibly never.

If it's more than a few hours of travel away, I would wait until a time that I can decide to commit entirely to it or abstain completely, be it 2 months from now or over 10 years away.
Eh?
Eh!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 08:15:18 pm »

Well, it seems like most of the interest is in the US or Canada, so while I'm not the hugest fan of the US it looks like thats the best place to do it. Obviously, waiting is fine if that's what you choose to do.

Your first bit sounds really complicated and unnecessary. :/

However, I suggest that you not do this until you know the people in the group. I mean, know them, understand the inevitable quirkiness, accept it, think about the decision. So, if the world doesn't end in 2012, I might be in this around 2016, possibly.
That's part of why I figured we'd sort of trickle into Seattle as we could, and only start anything approaching an actual commune once enough people have committed to it and had time to work with and spend time around each other. Hopefully we can get a halfway decent social base together before it starts.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 10:04:04 pm »

That might be workable. You do realize you can both work AND attend school, though, right?
Yes, but definitely not full time with the number of courses I'll be needing to take. Doctorification takes a while, I've heard.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 10:19:02 pm »

This sounds like it would be incredibly awesome, not sure if I'd be able to join, but it'd be a few years at least... need to finish college and get out of the parent's place first...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 11:05:30 pm »

I'd say "In as a shareholder", except that I'm already out of college and with a job (that I quite enjoy), so unless it happened to land in the SF Bay Area I'd be unlikely to actually be able to join it.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 11:44:43 pm »

I've been debating moving to Seattle once I leave home anyway. I could probably do it in 3-5 years.

Dwarf Fortress will last, and with it, bay12 will last. This thread or threads like it will exist for a long time yet. This could happen.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2010, 10:00:44 am »

Quite a bit of legal stuff to wade through also.  What with shareholding, responsibility for collecting rent and paying bills like insurance, tax and utilities.

Also some sort of agreement/understanding from residents on how/who/whatever in not attracting roaches.

Basically logistics in dealing with upkeep and bull from less then stellar residents is a very important thing.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2010, 10:08:12 am »

Why doesn't everybody move here?

^ ~ ^

We can be neighbors!
Things would be just like they are now, but we'd have the benefit of being together!
That is what you all seem to want, right?

[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9