Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Housing Project  (Read 4058 times)

the great fool

• Bay Watcher
  • the Elf butcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Housing Project
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 06:52:59 pm »

Looks very well planned and nice to look at.

but i have always found diagonal things in DF disturbing, even tunnels, and your design makes house arrests impossible without having the neighbors caged too.
An Elf in a cage is worth two in the forest

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 06:55:34 pm »

Dwarves get disturbed by traffic, so having them path through eachothers bedrooms is not nice.  :-\

Looks super purdy though! :D

dwarves get disturbed by everything...

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 09:17:23 pm »

Most of the rooms are actually smaller than I make for even my low quality rooms.

I usually try to aim for at least a 3x4, enough for a bed, table, chair without taking up the entire room. But yeah, it looks awesome.

GrimmBean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 09:35:22 pm »

I've only been giving them a bed and a chest. tables and chairs are for meeting halls and offices

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 09:39:35 pm »

I should upload my 1x1 grid housing, it's easy to make and doesn't even need hallways because the dwarves just path over other people's beds to sleep, and the sleepers don't care!

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 01:14:46 am »

I've only been giving them a bed and a chest. tables and chairs are for meeting halls and offices

Meh, they do use them.

Plus it always seems dwarves are complaining about lack of chairs and tables...plus it increases the quality of the room and makes it a bit more like a "house" rather than a bedroom in my opinion.

But I guess I also really dislike making separate dining rooms for dwarves, mainly because if they are attached I have to manually assign them, rather than just auto-assigning like they do bedrooms.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 04:52:13 am »

Plus it always seems dwarves are complaining about lack of chairs and tables...

I think that comes from when they try to eat and there's either no free tables, or the table they choose has no free seats next to it.  You don't need to build them their own chairs, unless they're a noble and they require it.  It might also be from them choosing the table in an office, if you build tables to go with the chair.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 09:16:12 am »

If they have their own chair then the tables to eat on will be less full :)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 11:00:13 am »

Dwarves get disturbed by traffic, so having them path through eachothers bedrooms is not nice.  :-\
Looks super purdy though! :D
I think the group of three smaller and one larger that share an internal door is part of a four-room noble's suite, that includes bedroom, office, dining, and tomb.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 11:52:47 am »

and the tomb is the one you enter in ?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 03:39:09 pm »

Pfft... Clever housing.

I use blocks of rooms that are 3x1 with a bed, door and one empty tile.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

the great fool

• Bay Watcher
  • the Elf butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 11:48:58 pm »

I use blocks of rooms that are 3x1 with a bed, door and one empty tile.
same here, i build them extending out from the main hall on a separate hall like mini spines
An Elf in a cage is worth two in the forest

GrimmBean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 06:43:27 pm »

I think the group of three smaller and one larger that share an internal door is part of a four-room noble's suite, that includes bedroom, office, dining, and tomb.
The Noble Quarters are exactly that, though I use one of the side rooms for the tomb. Alson if the center room on the diagonal axis is used for a hall you can dup it to extend as far a you like. You can also use the hall for prisoner restraints of whatever you like.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 09:06:49 pm »

Speaking of noble rooms, I like to give my nobles worse housing as punishment for their ridiculous requests.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 09:12:18 pm »

Speaking of noble rooms, I like to give my nobles worse housing as punishment for their ridiculous requests.
"No you pompous douchebag, I don't care if you want steel statues in your everything, our soldiers are getting their urists kicked, they need armor! If you want the damn statues so much, why don't YOU go make them?"

"Mistress, we don't HAVE arachna silk, we can't make those whatevers you want! We have mountains of cave spider silk, but noooo, you need ARACHNA SILK!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3