Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XVIII Game Over Scum Won! Happytown is now Scumville.  (Read 40891 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XVIII Game Over Scum Won! Happytown is now Scumville.
« Reply #300 on: January 05, 2011, 03:05:11 am »

Toaster and Irony was both very good ICs.  Good job guys.
Props to IronyOwl for being a very helpful IC throughout the game.
Thanks. :D

I was surprised how little coaching scum needed, though. Neither jumped at all when Kamina hit the nail on the head, for instance, or when one was caught defending the other. They definitely had scumtells, but jumpiness wasn't one of them.

Very much loved the flavor. Didn't get to see most of it until now, of course, but I'd assume it made the game more enjoyable for all involved.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 05, 2011, 02:14:41 pm »

I personally didn't like the time flow of this game. The time was way too long. I was playing another Mafia forum game, 24 hour day, 24 hour night, open to PMs and IRC chatting. Joined up with this one to learn some moves. By the time the first day of this game was over, half of that other game was over. Hell, I even played around 20-50 real-time games on epicmafia.

So, personally, I didn't like the pace at all. On town's side, it gave a lot of time to go around and interrogate everyone. On scum's side, it gives someone half a day and a nap to calm down and think of a good response after a sharp accusation. I thought that poking lordnincompoop1 was hard because there was no actual pressure for most of the week, only when it reached the deadline did he crack and appear non-scummy.

I'm going to stick to mafia games with 1 day timespans and allowing real-time discussion. The long term games seem a bit heavy on time and I'm just not eager to log onto the forums 10 times a day and see nothing going on half the time and extreme finger pointing after a few days.

Heh, I was playing cop in the game before this too, and found the doctor. Was lynched for tossing an accusation out and the mafia bandwagoned on killing me half an hour before voting ended, which was why I hate late voting. The bright side to that was that I kept the doctor alive until the end of the game and everyone spotted the maf mid-game for the bandwagon votes.

Argembarger was a good moderator, barring a few mistakes, but overall made it fun and helped take the stress off the game.

So... wait. Rather than back down from a lynch he wasn't sure of and Investigating me that night, the Cop chose to just let me die? : /

Akigagak, you were acting very scummy, lurking until prodded. I was convinced it was either you or warhammer (had the suspicion off lordnin, but warhammer was just being too nice). Like lordnin1, you started appearing less scummy after a few prods, I wanted to keep it going but fell asleep while refreshing the page. Which was why you should've been more active :P

Also, the votes were even so leaving the vote on you would make it a no lynch. If I unvoted, I'd be dead, but Mindmaker unvoted for me when I went to bed.

warhammer, rather poor throughout the game, but the godfather thing saved you from suspicion. I would've stuck up in defense of you late in the game because I didn't expect a godfather to be playing in this game, and I certainly didn't expect him to be defending you. Great ploy in killing lordnin at the start too to look innocent as I had linked you two.

Taco Dan, IMO, great playing, at least on the first day. Good move turning more aggressive against the scumhunter on the second day too without appearing too suspicious. A few mistakes from the second day on, but good enough to stay safe.

KaminaSquirtle was probably the best town player starting from day 2. I agree with everything he's commented on the game.

Mindmaker was good from the start, good at pinning everyone without being too suspicious.

lordnincompoop should have scumhunted more. Zombie lordnin/mindmaker was a lot better than the first incarnation, and good job continuing from Mindmaker's in-game personality.

Ottofar should have been much more active. Honestly, you'd be my 3rd suspicion just for popping in so rarely and not contributing much to the scumhunting.

Zrk2, you are a complete freaking idiot. I'd fully think you were a scum who ran out of defense mechanisms and just went out to be annoying to everyone. The best way to get killed is to act all "oh, i cant defend myself, you guys are going to kill me anyway". Even a blatant "I'm innocent guys, really!" speech works better. Besides, you had the big fat Cop card. Just admit you were a cop, expose everyone who you found innocent. If you went down, you'd be releasing some information for people to work with (even if one of that info was false).

But your playing was just so fricking horrible that I'd report you to future moderators as a troll and refuse to play any games with you. It's forgivable as it's a Beginner's Mafia, but still horrible.

Normally the power roles are harder to play because the maf will be trying to sniff you out and hit you and it's hard to get information onto the table. I liked the beginner's mafia in that most of the power roles might not exist, making the cop and doctor roles a gamble if you reveal them and unlikely enough that scum wouldn't actively look for them. Cop was nice to get because revealing every investigation result would give a 'second life' or even a third life if the doctor protected him.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 05, 2011, 02:36:13 pm »

I'd like to hear opinions from the town players. Please answer these questions if you can:
1) Did you enjoy the game? Will you play again?
2) Was it active enough; just right; or too active for you?
3) How important do you fell the flavour quality is for your enjoyment of the game? What factors are more important?
4) How about the ICs? Were Toaster, IronyOwl & Vector able to tell you what you needed to know, guide you through the mafia thought process, and enhance your enjoyment of the game?
5) Given what you now know the game is, how would you make a Beginner's Mafia game better?

1) I most definitely will, though I'm still just flailing around in the games.  :-\
2) This one was just right for me, actually. it was off to a slow start, and kinda dragged off at the end but yeah.
3) I thought it was very good, and I think it's quite important to the game. The most important factor is of course how well the game is moderated, and how well the moderator can deal with errors, conflicts etc. and know how much info to divulge (if any).
4) I unfortunately didn't have much interaction with the ICs. I had none with IronyOwl, not being a scum, and I don't remember having any with Kamina either (or maybe I did?).
5) More people, for one, and more of a teaching/learning mentality would be nice. Maybe even someone going "See, these were the scum's tells" would be nice, so we know what we're looking for next time.

I thought that poking lordnincompoop1 was hard because there was no actual pressure for most of the week, only when it reached the deadline did he crack and appear non-scummy.

Eh? Cracking is a towntell? I always thought it was the other way 'round, most of the time.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 05, 2011, 03:08:25 pm »

I'd disagree with the more players-part. Nine is good for a BM. More players'd make it a bit hard, IMO.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 05, 2011, 03:11:16 pm »

I was told I wasn't allowed to reveal what I found out while investigating. And yes, I realize that my strategy was totally useless, I am trying to do it different in the game I am in now, relax, I am totally new to mafia and am trying out various different plans. I acted like an idiot hoping people would see that as a sign that I would not have been able to cover for being scummy.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #305 on: January 05, 2011, 04:46:46 pm »

what

no

that is an epic misinterpretation

I did not tell you not to reveal your findings

I told you not to mention The Untouchables (something that I accidently included in multiple people's night flavor

This was my post
Erm

I didn't realize this until after I wrote up the PMs

But you could easily mention The Untouchables to prove that you are a cop to Ottofar

Please don't do that, it wouldn't be fair and I didn't think about this being possible until afterwards

I don't want to modkill you but if you use that information to prove you are a cop I may have to do so to keep the game fair for the scum.

It would make me happy if you didn't let my mistake break the game.

Thanks.

That said nothing about not revealing your findings; I just didn't want you to mention that one bit of flavor.

If that confused you, I'm sorry, you should have said something earlier.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #306 on: January 05, 2011, 04:49:23 pm »

Because there's a big difference between saying

"I'm a cop, Ottofar is town"

and

"I'm a cop, I saw Ottofar watching The Untouchables, he is town"

The first version is what you would see in a normal mafia game. A claim that can be doubted.

The second version instantly confirms ottofar as town, and you as a cop, to everyone

It was a mistake on my part but I thought I had made it better.

Oh well, sorry guys. Join the next BM, I'll do better.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 05, 2011, 05:03:40 pm »

How would mentioning The Untouchables help Zrk2's case?

...Wait, what/who are the Untouchables?

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 05, 2011, 05:11:28 pm »

XD I just read the night actions. "Get killed horrifically". Awesome job.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 05, 2011, 06:21:12 pm »

How would mentioning The Untouchables help Zrk2's case?

...Wait, what/who are the Untouchables?

It's a movie where Sean Connery and some other guy take down Al Capone. And that was a misinterpertation on my part, I should have checked. Oh well, lesson learned.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 05, 2011, 06:40:20 pm »

I watched it the night  Zrk copped me.

It was in both  our Flavor PMs that night. Zrk mentioning it would've allowed his coppery confirmation.

Heh. That misunderstanding cost a day, and win for town.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 05, 2011, 06:43:56 pm »

This is why I started in beginners mafia.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 05, 2011, 06:46:07 pm »

Has town ever won a BM?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 05, 2011, 06:46:57 pm »

Could have happened but from what I've heard it's very rare.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 05, 2011, 06:57:08 pm »

Cuz stupid players are stupid!

Rather like me, there must be a host of total fails when you get a collection of noobs trying to find the rats, with no concrete information.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22