Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: I Hate The Fact "Geek" Is "Cool"  (Read 8170 times)

I Hate The Fact "Geek" Is "Cool"
« on: December 01, 2010, 04:27:47 pm »

Or, to qualify that statement better, "I hate the fact that Hollywood geek is considered cool, fashionable and people are trying to imitate geeks all the fucking time."

I don't know what it is about it. Maybe it's just plain bitterness. But I hate it when I see girls walking around in shirts saying, "Geeks Are Sexy" or "I♥Nerds" or guys who dress "nerdy" and haven't got a clue about anything to do with any geek subcultures except they MAYBE read a book once.

I hate it when Hollywood tries to make "nerdy" movies. I hate the fact that I something I view as "my culture" has been essentially stolen, merchandised and raped by others. I hate the fact that people don't seem to realise nerdy, geeky, dorky - all of it - is a diverse group of interests that don't just me "ZOINKERS I PLAY DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS AND KNOW ALL OF STAR TREK AND KNOW LOTS OF PHYSICS" (yes, some of us may play D&D and know lots of physics, but it doesn't mean I have an encyclopedic knowledge of Star Trek).

I'm confused and I don't know what I hate specifically.

What I do know is that people are trying to do something to something I enjoy and it makes me blood boil when I think about it.

Does anyone else feel this way?
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: I Hate The Fact "Geek" Is "Cool"
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 04:28:13 pm »

Try being Asian.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:29:07 pm »

Are you implying that this is the first time you've felt this way about something? I'd be very surprised if it was.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 04:30:22 pm »

But I hate it when I see girls walking around in shirts saying, "Geeks Are Sexy" or "I♥Nerds"
I don't mind this bit at all.  8)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 04:32:06 pm »

My wife likes me to look a little geeky. I guess its the "I won't treat you like shit but I do have emotional problems we can talk about" appeal that is making geeks more attractive to women. Besides, dumb jocks won't indulge in their Facebook obsession. I can't believe you are angry girls are finding your high school caste attractive now.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 04:33:29 pm »

Try being Asian.

One of my Asian friends was, to put it simply, very, very clever, very, very dry and very, very self-hating (he hated everyone else, too, but main self-hating). It made him hilarious, unpredictable and gave me a massive insight into what you're talking about.

Are you implying that this is the first time you've felt this way about something? I'd be very surprised if it was.

Nah, my blood boils about a lot of things, but this is the latest.

But I hate it when I see girls walking around in shirts saying, "Geeks Are Sexy" or "I♥Nerds"
I don't mind this bit at all.  8)

They're not interested in YOU. They want Michael Cera, or someone who looks like Michael Cera.

I suppose it's mainly the self assurance of "I AM SO NERDY" that irritates me. Real nerds don't need that shit.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 04:36:07 pm »

Nah, my blood boils about a lot of things, but this is the latest.

Then I'm sure we can both agree that "people like things that I like to think are niche" is a universal peeve.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 04:37:15 pm »

Man triple T, you are starting a lot of these threads lately.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 04:40:02 pm »

Inexplicably, sites like Nerdfighters and people like these guys irritate me, too.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 04:40:19 pm »

Exactly what I was thinking.

OP: What's so great about being a nerd anyway? Does it really matter if people completely misunderstand the whole concept? It's not like it's anything new.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:45:41 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 04:46:50 pm »

Try being Asian.
Actually, try being any race besides white. This happens to some extent in all of them.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 04:48:01 pm »

OP: What's so great about being a nerd anyway? Does it really matter if people completely misunderstand the whole concept? It's not like it's anything new.

Added to this: OP: You think of yourself a nerd yes? What makes you think you are anything but a early adapter?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 04:52:55 pm »

God, I hate Michael Cera so much and now I understand why.

I run the risk of generalizing, but I think alienation is an important part of the geek experience.  I became a geek because I was ostracized.  I wanted a world free of the pettiness I despised and did not understand.  So I embraced a love a science fiction, in which people were free of the mundane and free to do as they please.  I embraced science and math, it's consistent, reliable logic was comforting to a child confused by social norms.  It's a trade off, I got treated like shit in grade school, so I get admission into a secret club.  If that club isn't secret anymore... I feel cheated.

On the subject of self hating asians.  I once roomed with the stupidest person in existence and he's a self hating asian.  He once got surgery to try to make his eyes rounder but something went really wrong and they went from having a Chinese narrowness to having a stereotypical Chink squint.  Other things he's really bad at include, academics, charity, theft, tax evasion, patriotism and not biting the hand that feeds.  His talent is MMOs.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 04:52:56 pm »

And they're all nerdrage threads too.
Shoes...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 04:53:28 pm »

Is this a new forum drinking game?

Take a drink when the OP makes a RAGE thread?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11