Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Powder Toy  (Read 55741 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Powder Toy
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2010, 12:45:43 am »

That 44.6 version that was released 2 days ago has an impressive list of new features.
I really like the addition of "life", you can even get a little "game of life" going on with bacteria reproducing while you're busy building more nuclear bombs and razing towns.

Not sure if it is a bug, but some of those little form of life generate immense temperatures (more than 8000°C) while alive and when dead, they lower to absolute zero (-273.15°C)

Could possibly perturb some of your reactions if you mix them in.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2010, 01:02:04 am »

Yeah I saw the new life toys. It's pretty cool. They have lots of different rules.

Problem is, they don't seem to be affected by matter. Not that I've found, anyway. It seems not even nukes will kill them once they start propagating.

The only thing I've found that affects them is the new Antimatter material.

But there's other cool stuff, like Portal In and Portal Out, and the ability to set up wifi for your powdertoy electronics >_<
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2010, 01:25:45 am »

apparently, if you surround a nuke with assimilation life form, it cant escape that, so you can just keep adding plutonium....its gettin hot in here.
I got nothing

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2010, 01:30:32 am »

Gravity powder + cold flame = instant lightshow.
Spoiler: So awesome. (click to show/hide)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2010, 02:14:17 am »

Who'd ever think cooking with incendiaries and volatile radioactive materials could be so fun?

I'm going all out, crock pot and everything. Of course, the last few foot-thick pots I used melted after the bell rang. Maybe I'm cooking it too quickly?  ::)

EDIT:
I don't know how I did it, but I made a nuke brew and all other sorts of random crap. It's over a thousand degrees celsius in there, and the plutonium and uranium still hasn't detonated and melted my setup. Lots of steam and neutrons in there however.

EDIT EDIT:
Nevermind, it took it's time, but it finally melted the bottom out. But it took a long time to finally detonate. For a moment there, I thought I made a stable container with cookware.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Corrcetion, It was stable. I just overheated the bottom of the pot and it melted. I noticed when I saw the metal start boiling into the plutonium and uranium, and the plut/uran mix still didn't detonate, despite numerous neutrons inside the vessel, and even mixing with the combo; 7-8 psi in a sizable area. I think it was a good idea to butter the pot with diesel fuel first. :P

I know the materials didn't detonate, because it didn't go off as it was draining. That is, until the neutrons were being vacuumed out of the vessel. And wouldn't you know? There's still some radioactive residue, and only the bottom of my pot melted out.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Here's a couple of screens of what I did. Unfortunately, I couldn't rewind any further back.
Spoiler: Before (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: After (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:42:25 am by Itnetlolor »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2010, 02:58:17 am »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2010, 04:25:59 am »

So far, the best I've come up with (including the detonator, since my criteria of "good" includes "stable until explicitly set off") is a an empty brick cylinder with an electrode at the bottom, and another one at the top hooked up to a block of wifi and some wires that travel around the cylinder. Around this is a column of oil, encased in metal on the sides and top, which is enclosed in a sphere of plutonium in which are pockets of deuterium in thin metal shells. Surrounding this is a thin metal shell, with a pocket of deuterium before the thick outer shell. It's the biggest boom for the least amount of materials, and it tends to react everything, rather than just sending plutonium flying like other designs. It's small, and it wipes out the destroyable city 5 as fast and thoroughly as a C4 and plutonium one twice its size. Detonation is a simple matter of hooking a default wifi block up to a battery and waiting a few seconds: the cylinder fills with plasma, the oil flashes to gas, then ignites, and that creates enough pressure to get the plutonium spawning neutrons, which will eventually heat up enough to break a deuterium pocket and get the whole thing to fission before the outer shell is breached, sending a beautiful wave of plasma, lava, and neutrons riding on a massive surge of pressure... >:D

I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2010, 04:32:28 am »

You really don't need that much DEUT to destroy anything... if it's cold enough.
9 pixels of absolute-zero DEUT + a metal case + neutron ring for detonation =
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(used "Destroyable city 5" by dima-gord)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2010, 04:34:50 am »

Damn, this looks fun, but I'm incapable of running program. It just crashes on start up. A poke in the help forum reveled someone with the same problem, but it's a shame their community seems to be composed of dicks.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2010, 04:57:11 am »

You really don't need that much DEUT to destroy anything... if it's cold enough.
9 pixels of absolute-zero DEUT + a metal case + neutron ring for detonation =

(used "Destroyable city 5" by dima-gord)
I can't replicate that. Any amount of deuterium at absolute zero is reduced to a single pixel, and doesn't seem to react with neutrons at all... :-\

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2010, 05:05:17 am »

I can't replicate that. Any amount of deuterium at absolute zero is reduced to a single pixel, and doesn't seem to react with neutrons at all... :-\

You're not adding enough deuterium (or neutrons to set it off), then. Try making something like this (plus a larger funnel on top), and letting it drip into a pre-cooled container.

If you're going to use my exact setup, be sure to stack at least 3 on top of eachother to ensure that the deuterium actually reaches absolute zero.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42:59 am »

Yeah, I decided to play around, and after getting tired of manually adding and cooling them set up a system to drop them into a diamond basin, through supercooled tubes. Didn't realize cold fire was absolute zero though, I was using clones/voids with liquid nitrogen.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2010, 06:31:24 am »

That 44.6 version that was released 2 days ago has an impressive list of new features.
I really like the addition of "life", you can even get a little "game of life" going on with bacteria reproducing while you're busy building more nuclear bombs and razing towns.

Not sure if it is a bug, but some of those little form of life generate immense temperatures (more than 8000°C) while alive and when dead, they lower to absolute zero (-273.15°C)

Could possibly perturb some of your reactions if you mix them in.
According to the wiki that's a crude way to mark the age of an individual pixel. They start at the maximum, and eventually reach absolute zero if they don't die off fast enough.

Finally got enough stable absolute zero deuterium to save some as a stamp. Doesn't seem to be a huge increase in power, though it does certainly do more with less...

Edit: recreated the nine pixel thing. Fucking hell...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:36:19 am by Sir Pseudonymous »

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2010, 09:42:30 am »

Doesn't seem to be a huge increase in power ...

I just removed the DEUT from my shell and stuffed it full of plutonium instead... The evidence seems to disagree with you. Pixel for pixel, Deuterium at absolute zero is by far the most potent nuke fuel.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2010, 10:49:48 am »

Sponges are fun to play with
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14