Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1979132 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20850 on: July 13, 2021, 06:56:40 am »

How does anyone think TNT’s harmless?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20851 on: July 13, 2021, 01:43:57 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 12:42:15 pm by dragdeler »
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20852 on: July 17, 2021, 05:59:47 am »

Reminds me of when this one Australian miner my father knew boarded a plane to America from Australia; reached into his pocket for his phone but pulled out instead two sticks of dynamite he forgot he left in there. This was all happening post 9/11 too, so he very calmly put it back into his pocket hoping no one'd noticed, informed the stewardess that he was terribly sorry that he'd accidentally brought on some dynamite. They asked him a few questions, took his sticks and let him on his way

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20853 on: July 19, 2021, 12:48:54 pm »

...This was all happening post 9/11 too...

Dramatic Thunder and Lightning
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20854 on: July 20, 2021, 02:23:32 pm »

That feeling of staring right at a spider on the wall as it fades into nothingness.

Fucking hallucinations, blech. I can deal with the visual snow but the goddamn Cheshire spiders are a bridge too far.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20855 on: July 20, 2021, 02:33:19 pm »

I get spider bits when I'm half asleep or waking up.

I'm not a fan.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20856 on: July 20, 2021, 02:37:59 pm »

Cheshire Spiders sound like interesting creatures Alice was lucky to not encounter…I’m not sure if hyping jerks count as tactile hallucinations, the feeling of when you’re just about to fall asleep but then you feel like you fell jolting you awake. Like yes I know it’s my brain trying to protect me, but it still does not help me sleep. I have enough trouble getting to sleep without that happening

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20857 on: July 20, 2021, 04:33:52 pm »

Calling myself "absolutely terrified" is stretching things somewhat, but I've been putting a lot of thought into going back to college. I'm just about sick to death of my job and want to find something that is more fulfilling, both in terms of life satisfaction and income.

There are problems, however. I work a very early morning shift that sees me going to bed before the sun goes down most of the year. I work 50+ hours a week, and by the nature of my job some days can can be much longer than others. Some days I have a good amount of free time that could potentially be put to productive use, but other days it's running running running until I'm about ready to drop. Put simply, full-time education is infeasible as long as I have this job thanks to my inconsistent schedule. On the other hand, without said job I don't know how much education I will actually be able to pay for. I know financial aid exists, but I would really rather avoid student loans as much as possible and I don't know if I'd qualify for grants or scholarships (especially since my first foray into college life was...less than successful).

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, as cliche as that sounds. The only two immediate futures I can see are either continuing to work a job that I am coming to hate more and more with each passing year, or throwing myself headlong into schooling with no guarantee of success. Every time I think about these possibilities my stomach clenches up and all I can do is try and distract myself before I start stress-spiraling.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20858 on: July 20, 2021, 04:45:32 pm »

Probably consider talking to college/technical school admission folks? Particularly the latter, if there's something they can offer you're interested in. If there's anyone that would have the experience working with folks that have an inconsistent working schedule, it'd be them, y'know? There's often some way to work out arrangements of one sort or another, just have to make that first step.
Ask not!
Ask!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20859 on: July 20, 2021, 05:53:36 pm »

You guys don't have the special/irregular style of uni classes?
Basically it's a take your time type of deal where you get a limited number of classes per semester and no mandatory attendance so you basically take things at your own pace. Essentially designed for folks who had to find a full time job or decided to go back to uni later in life and don't necessarily have the free time required for a full course.

My mom basically did this for her MD while working full time, took her a couple of years but she got there eventually.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20860 on: July 20, 2021, 06:55:39 pm »

Like, there might be something depending on the specific locality, but if it's common or easily accessible, I haven't personally heard of it. We're both stateside, and in general educational support for working class folks (or parents, or anyone with an irregular schedule for whatever reason) is... usually not great. You can definitely have low credit hour semesters, but odd hours or self-study/own-pace type dealios would probably take some finagling.

It probably exists, because sure, there's folks that need it, but something existing and something being easy to find or access is two very different things, especially if you ain't got a lot of money or time to throw at it.
Ask not!
Ask!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20861 on: July 20, 2021, 06:56:59 pm »

Probably consider talking to college/technical school admission folks? Particularly the latter, if there's something they can offer you're interested in. If there's anyone that would have the experience working with folks that have an inconsistent working schedule, it'd be them, y'know? There's often some way to work out arrangements of one sort or another, just have to make that first step.

I strongly agree with this point.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20862 on: July 20, 2021, 08:21:22 pm »

It's a very good point, and I'll make sure to call up the admissions office at some point and make some inquiries. It's only a community college, so I don't know how flexible they can really be, but getting some options on the table might simplify matters.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20863 on: July 21, 2021, 07:32:03 am »

The Chinese province of Henan has been struck by heavy flooding, after heavy rainfall. In 3 days time, more rain fell from the sky than usually does in an entire year.
Last tuesday, 20cm of rain fell in 1 hour, more than it did in 3 days last week in the devastated German region of Ahrtal.

The province of Henan, about the size of Austria, is one of the most densely populated areas of China, with 94 million inhabitants, lots of agriculture and heavy industry.

In the province capital of Zhengzhou (a metropolis with 12 million inhabitants), 1.2 million people have been struck by the floods, at least 25 people died when the subway tunnels flooded.
Hundreds of thousands of people have been evacuated, many more still need to be evacuated.
After a few dams burst, catching people by surprise, the army is now blowing up dams that have been weakened with controlled demolitions, to prevent people living in the area being caught by surprise. About 30 dams and reservoirs are so damaged that they are in risk of breaking.
In Dengfeng, an aluminum plant exploded when it flooded.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20864 on: July 21, 2021, 08:15:35 am »

Feel like one of those ships in Battleship.

Only a matter of time before the red peg lands here, some freak weather phenomenon destroys whatever pitiful livelihood I claim.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 1420