Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1978490 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19245 on: September 12, 2018, 12:13:23 am »

Super embarrassing confession time (which, fittingly, terrified me): I had a small infatuation with a streamer chick. She was a re-occurent guest player on a dnd/rpg channel I watched. After the campaign with her had ended I checked out her youtube channel and listened to like a minute of some vloggish clip of her drinking coffee and talking and it just felt too creepy and voyeuristic and downright sad of me, so I closed it and never went back.

Now I feel super embarrassed and weirdo just by thinking about it.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19246 on: September 12, 2018, 01:02:23 am »

Not sure what to be embarrassed about there.  Emotions just are.  Developing a certain feeling towards someone isn't something you directly control.  I see it as the opposite of embarrassing that you were self-aware enough to recognize what was happening and walked away, instead of feeding it or doing something that would be worthy of embarrassment.

I'll share much worse for you. 

I had zero healthy friendships in real life for several years of my childhood... from about ages 8 to 15.  My family got internet when I was 13.  I quickly became really good friends with a girl who I'd chat with daily on IRC for the next 3 years.  Considering the previous several years, I valued this intensely.  When I was 16, my family went on a long trip (about a day's travel), and she lived not too far from the destination and not much out of the way.  So we stayed at a hotel near her place so I could spend an evening with her on the way there, and dropped by briefly on the way back.  Around this same time, I'd been developing deeper feelings for her.

I was awkward as hell.  Didn't do anything inappropriate.  Just really, really fucking awkward.  I was also so emotionally worked up by the whole thing that I think I only got 3 hours of sleep one night the whole week.  I just wasn't in a good place at that point in my life.

I started talking about how I wanted to come see her again when we would hang out online, and she rather quickly disappeared after that.  Suddenly avoided all contact without warning.  It totally crushed me.  I knew I was awkward, but didn't understand for a long time just how bad.  I wasn't... horribly intrusive or like scary-level stalker-like.  But over the next few months, I did send her a few overly emotional e-mails, called her repeatedly one day until she yelled at me to leave her alone, and asked her real life friends (who also hung out on IRC with me and continued to do so after she left) if they could convince her to talk to me.  It took me a couple years to fully move on.

*shrug*

Today I understand how unhealthy that was, and have cultivated a much stronger emotional independence.  Everyone's got their own issues and ways they need to grow.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19247 on: September 12, 2018, 03:25:28 am »

Part of growing up is accruing a catalogue of embarassment

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #19248 on: September 12, 2018, 03:39:44 am »

Told my doc I wanted to increase the dosage on my antidepressants after project crunch made me relapse into self-harm and seriously consider suicide. She casually prescribes a clobazam anxiolytic and a zolpidem (~Ambien) sleeping tablet without mentioning that both are addictive and zolpidem isn't even supposed to be prescribed in this situation. Criiikey. I'm very glad I read up thoroughly on meds before taking them.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19249 on: September 12, 2018, 03:56:16 am »

One of my friends was prescribed medication for migraines... Its side effects included migraines

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19250 on: September 12, 2018, 04:28:03 am »

One of my friends was prescribed medication for migraines... Its side effects included migraines
Well, technically a lot of antidepressants have the potential side effect of increased suicide risk. Doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work or that it shouldn't be prescribed for suicidally depressed patients.

It's funny to look at and reflect on how it seems kinda silly, but there's more to the process than just "this migraine medicine will treat your migraines by putting migraines in your migraines".

There's also the very real chance that some medicines can produce the symptoms of what they're supposed to treat when given to a healthy person. Quinine is a fairly infamous example of this, which is partly how we ended up with homeopathy (a fellow who didn't quite understand the concept of sample sizes and the dangers of extrapolating from incomplete data). Cases like that will also get listed as potential side effects, because it technically is a result of taking that medication, even if it wouldn't have done so in a patient who actually needed it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19251 on: September 12, 2018, 05:06:35 am »

Quinine? I've never felt like I had malaria after drinking tonic or bitter lemon though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19252 on: September 12, 2018, 05:20:41 am »

Basically, Samuel Hahnemann decided to consume large amounts of cinchona bark to test what exactly the stuff did, and ended up reporting that he felt "malaria-like symptoms". Concluding from that singular test that cinchona would produce similar results in any healthy person, he came to the only logical conclusion that "like cures like", and remedies for an illness were the things that produced similar symptoms (it was already known that cinchona would treat malaria, but the prevalent theory at the time was that this effect was caused by its bitterness). Very scientific.

Also, most mixing tonics are flavored with an imitation quinine that just mimics the flavor, without the same health effects.

Also also,
Quote from: Wikipedia article for quinine
Common side effects include headache, ringing in the ears, trouble seeing, and sweating. More severe side effects include deafness, low blood platelets, and an irregular heartbeat.

So, yeah. Quinine.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19253 on: September 12, 2018, 06:45:25 am »

My mum takes medicine for her migraines. She says the med helps for that occasion but that she gets worse migraines later, as if the headache just put of and accrue.

Part of growing up is accruing a catalogue of embarassment

Want to know the thing in my life that I am the most embarrassed and ashamed of ever? I'm very awkward and have done a lot of embarrassing shit. But the thing that stays with me the most is a kind of silly, very childish thing.

When I was like 8-10 there was a boy in the class below who had a girlfriend (in a 9-year-old's sense of the word), but at a party he danced a slow dance with another girl. So me and some other group somehow got it in our heads (jealousy, I assume) to distract him during a class break so one of us could tell him. And so we did.

I have done a lot of things I should be more embarrassed of, I've let friends down, I've stolen shit, I've failed at important things, I've failed to stand up for myself and my friends, I've even participated in bullying (even if only by inaction and silence), I've been harassed myself. But this idiotic, childish thing is just unshakeable. I don't even know how it turned out. I had such bad conscience even the same day that I pretended to be sick for the rest of the week and I never spoke of it with anyone. I still think about it often and I still get a bad conscience everything it comes to my mind. I just can't let this thing go. I'm even embarrassed by such a petty thing being my most embarrassing thing.
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19254 on: September 12, 2018, 06:51:00 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:33:54 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19255 on: September 12, 2018, 06:59:52 am »

Can you spoiler any more such reminisces? Just reminded me of one relevant embarrassment (which wasn't really that bad on my end in hindsight) which lead to a bunch of others (which were terrible) and some of these memories are yet to lose their sting. D:
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19256 on: September 12, 2018, 07:53:17 am »

I know that feel. Three knives twisted in the heart, stomach and throat, mistakes made

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #19257 on: September 12, 2018, 08:13:40 am »

That's because of how pharmaceutical research works. You give a bunch of sick people medicine and ask them how they feel afterwards. The problem is that every human body and pathogen strain is different and might react differently to the medicine. Sometimes the medicine doesn't work or takes longer than expected to kick in, and the patient's symptoms worsen. At this point, it's hard to prove whether the medicine caused the symptoms or simply didn't affect the patient, so they have to write it as a possible side effect.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19258 on: September 12, 2018, 10:07:36 am »

Have to submit an article until friday and all the fucking bibliography just fucking vanished from the article[/u]. Holy shit am I glad that we decided to do one last revision before sending it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19259 on: September 12, 2018, 11:47:35 am »

I have done a lot of things I should be more embarrassed of, I've let friends down, I've stolen shit, I've failed at important things, I've failed to stand up for myself and my friends, I've even participated in bullying (even if only by inaction and silence), I've been harassed myself.

Very familiar, once somebody remembered how terribly we behaved with the love letter of some girl while she was around to hear us...  So pointlesly mean, no wonder I repressed that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So you know. Sometimes shit happens and we do terrible shit. Sometimes it's actually the right thing to do, to commit a technically culturally unacceptable act. Just learn from mistakes and life will go on.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 1420