Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1281 1282 [1283] 1284 1285 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1978441 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19230 on: September 11, 2018, 05:04:33 pm »

Dat guy crazy AF
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #19231 on: September 11, 2018, 05:12:08 pm »

Depends on whether it's legit what happened, of course, but yea.

I feel sorry for the grandma who gave him a sizeable sum of money, presumably in the hopes of securing the future of her family.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19232 on: September 11, 2018, 05:13:34 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:29:47 pm by dragdeler »
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19233 on: September 11, 2018, 05:44:00 pm »

Okay that whole thing is horrifying, but the part where he splices vids of her eating... with Watership Down??
Gives me hope that this is fake, but also really makes me hope it's fake.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19234 on: September 11, 2018, 05:45:07 pm »

nothing's more romantic then cute rabbits
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19235 on: September 11, 2018, 05:53:26 pm »

When I used to watch streams I would always avoid channels by a female streamer, because it seems to inevitably degenerate towards the worst possible chat with the worst possible incentives for the streamer. Maybe things have changed, but I think if you want to do a gaming stream as a woman (while surrounded by an ocean of lonely creeps) your options are to:

1) Go purist: no mic, no cam, just doing speedruns or otherwise content that can stand on its own
2) Go Wahhabi: Somehow maintain a conservative environment sexless enough that it wouldn't even get you jailed in Saudi Arabia
3) Go Stalinist: Offload the responsibility for purging the worst creeps to moderators, keeping the issue in check while being able to continue baiting in profitable creeps
4) Go camwhore: just give up and make a reasonable gig out of stringing the idiots along, for bonus points you could probably even do this as a guy if you can convincingly do the right voices
5) Confront the issue explicitly with no illusions of familiarity or giving the benefit of the doubt, treating the chat like the trash it is and specifically calling out creepy assholes as creepy assholes

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #19236 on: September 11, 2018, 05:56:48 pm »

You forgot number six.
6) DEUS VULT YOU SONS OF VEGANS.
Now why does everyone forget number six.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #19237 on: September 11, 2018, 06:00:00 pm »

A nut and his money are soon parted.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19238 on: September 11, 2018, 08:06:24 pm »

if the eu act bans this sorta shit im all for it
Honestly, whatever computer-illiterate morons are responsible for those sorts of laws would be better off using this kind of /r/cringe material to persuade their detractors to side with them than whatever satanic panic-esque drivel they do come out with.

@UrbanGiraffe: I never really watch streamers of either sex but I know what you mean. Anywhere on the internet that a (supposed) female puts herself forth, as an artist or musician or whatever with an audience of mostly strangers, you're bound to find dudes responding inappropriately in the extreme - and usually getting immediately shot down by other dudes for being creepy, but who knows if they are legitimate non-creeps or just jumping at the chance to white knight and get in the gal's good books?? Just how deep does this rabbit hole go?!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19239 on: September 11, 2018, 08:23:04 pm »

Yeah it's really terrifying.
Part of me always jumped for 1 or 2 (and 6 obv) because it's so simple and... like me.  If people are bullying me about X, hide X.  Adapt, anticipate and avoid the problem.

Maybe internalize.  They say it's better to bend than to break, but bend for too long and you don't snap back.  And besides, it's selfish to anyone else in your situation.

My favorite solution, which is arguably 1, is "there are no girls [or guys] on the internet".  We're not our personal lives, we're what we contribute to the community.  But that mostly dismisses voice work or acting as contributions, and streaming has really taken off in the years since I found 4chan.

I guess the conflict, "accepting teh females as people", was only delayed not avoided.  But I like to think we're better equipped to do it now.  There will always be extremists (on both sides, my friends and I read through Bellum Maga last Saturday) but most people agree in equality as an end goal.  People just disagree about what equality means.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19240 on: September 11, 2018, 08:46:06 pm »

People also disagree about what creepy means.  Obsessive behavior is romanticized by too many women in fantasy and taught to men as the example they should follow if they really like someone.  Too often, it seems like creepy and romantic are the same behaviors only differentiated by context.  There's soooo many mixed messages out there.  And capitalism muddies the waters even more.  There's some subjects where it's pretty easy to determine proper behavior, such as consent.  But from an outsider perspective (I've been with my significant other since I was 17), how to approach someone you're interested in is most definitely not one of them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19241 on: September 11, 2018, 08:57:19 pm »

Yeah.  The story is particularly creepy because it seems like something I might have done as a teenager, if I wasn't busy doing other stupid things with my time.  (Author's supposedly 32, which makes it less excusable)

It came kinda close, in a way.  I had just finished watching Serial Experiments Lain, and had recently read Small Gods, and was all "What if our worship could elevate one of those girls over there in, like, a metaphysical way" and my best friend almost literally slapped me back to reality.  The reality of decent behavior, anyway.

Only form a cult if the object of worship empathically emphatically consents.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19242 on: September 11, 2018, 09:18:21 pm »

If you're starting a cult, the object of your worship is probably the least of your ethical problems.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19243 on: September 11, 2018, 10:18:48 pm »

People also disagree about what creepy means. 
That's true, of course, but generally if it's a stranger on the internet, excepting certain very obvious contexts (say, if said stranger is showing off their new burlesque outfit or something), commenting as to how extremely attractive they are or how you want to marry them is gonna count as creepy in the extreme. The last one is creepy regardless of context, obviously.

Obviously actual relationships are murky territory indeed. What would be the height of romance on a screen or in the pages of a book is likely to get you slapped with harassment charges and a restraining order - or it could work perfectly, depending on the person.
Ugh. Relationships. How tiresome.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19244 on: September 11, 2018, 10:20:43 pm »

The chances of my son not having a future at all beyond being a serf of an oppressive and corrupt regime. That made me terrified today.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 1281 1282 [1283] 1284 1285 ... 1420