Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1223 1224 [1225] 1226 1227 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1976992 times)

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18360 on: January 27, 2018, 10:18:05 pm »

I read the entirety of Junji Ito's Uzumaki in one sitting. Just holy shit.

Oh man, it's been a while since I read Uzumaki. Thanks for reminding me, now I'm starting to see spirals everywhere again...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18361 on: January 28, 2018, 02:13:19 am »

If its any consolation, its probably industrial water use rather than residential.

Or at least that's how it was in LA/California, I assume you're talking about a more recent drought?

He's talking about 4 million inhabitant city Cape Town, which will run out of water somewhere around april. The 3 dammed lakes supplying the city with water haven't seen rain in 3 years, and are nearly empty.
He's not talking industrial use.

City shoulda invested in desalination plants. Sounds like it's a combination of lack of management and lack of planning.

I wonder if the situation is as dire in the rest of South Africa or if it's just Cape Town that's in that bad of a situation.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #18362 on: January 28, 2018, 04:59:35 am »

City shoulda invested in desalination plants. Sounds like it's a combination of lack of management and lack of planning.

Yes, with our incredibly robust national electricity supply. Oh, wait, we don't have one of those.

There are desalination plants under construction and they have been for a long time. You can't build them overnight. They'll be online relatively soon, but even so because of infrastructural limitations they can't supply the whole city.

I don't think the situation has been handled perfectly at all, but it's not really an easy problem to deal with.

I wonder if the situation is as dire in the rest of South Africa or if it's just Cape Town that's in that bad of a situation.

Nope, it's just Cape Town. We're in a very, very strange climatic zone - it's a winter rainfall area because the polar fronts move north in winter, but if they didn't I think we'd be a semi-arid area like Namaqualand. Could be wrong, my geography-fu is quite weak. El Nino shenanigans messed up the fronts last year and the year before, so now we're a semi-arid area like Namaqualand! Good fun.

The rest of the country had, as I understand it, drought issues last year, but then they actually had rainfall and the drought broke before terribly serious damage was done (although farms suffered).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18363 on: January 28, 2018, 07:30:02 am »

I read the entirety of Junji Ito's Uzumaki in one sitting. Just holy shit.

Oh man, it's been a while since I read Uzumaki. Thanks for reminding me, now I'm starting to see spirals everywhere again...

I already have an unhealthy fascination with spirals and circly shapes. If I read it, will I go insane and/or turn into a snail?
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18364 on: January 28, 2018, 08:01:40 am »

My mental health isn't doing so great still. Hard to be a good worker, husband, and father when I can't remember anything, feel irrational, and am too isolationist to talk about what is going on.

So tired of feeling like this. Like a hollow mask, presenting a nice image to everyone but me, because I see how hollow it is.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #18365 on: January 28, 2018, 12:45:00 pm »

I can't say a lot due to operational security, but the coming week is going to be hard. I'm not sure if I can make it through without hitting any of my breaking points. I've made lots and lots of preparations, but I can't get physically fit in an evening, and there will be few things to be happy about.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18366 on: January 28, 2018, 05:27:10 pm »

Plan something fun (doesn't have to be a thing you do, could be a purchase for example) after the week?  Its always good to have something to look forward to.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18367 on: January 29, 2018, 06:09:04 pm »

Housemate needs to borrow my car this week, but hasn't used a manual "in a while".  We went out to practice.

I am highly skeptical that he has ever driven a manual successfully :P  Reminded me of when I learned to drive, including letting go of the clutch when panicking.  Not... ideal.  Thanks to the parking brake, though, nobody was harmed.

Looks like I'm waking up at 7 this week...  Eh, that's probably a good habit to reacquire.  And I do love any excuse to drive.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #18368 on: January 30, 2018, 09:20:51 am »

Learning about the fact that highly conserved genes and proteins exist in almost all eukaryotes that could be exploited to lethal consequence made me both wish to vomit and shiver at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritin

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18369 on: February 06, 2018, 04:34:24 pm »

Damn this cold/flu.  I spent most of today wheezing almost constantly...  Coughing helped to some extent, but I just can't get a good breath.  I'm actually reluctant to drink water because I have to catch up on breathing afterwards.

I went for a veeeery slow walk for fresh air, where I had to stop for breath a few times.  It was useful, though, the problem was partly the rather musty conditions in my room.  My windows don't exactly work, but I propped one open anyway next to the bed, with a fan, and if I remain turned towards it I can breathe almost okay.

Not to mention the nausea and soreness, they're awful but I don't care.  I really really really hate drowning or suffocation.  And I REALLY didn't need to be thinking about strangulation today.

People are dying from this...  stupid mucus membranes, and stupid health care system...
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18370 on: February 07, 2018, 03:10:14 pm »

Good lord. If you get the chance, you should see a doctor especially if you start feeling weak. That almost sounds like it's trying to complicate itself into pneumonia.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18371 on: February 07, 2018, 04:15:09 pm »

Thanks...  Might have been, but I'm okay today.  Still congested, but no longer struggling to catch my breath at rest.

I was also weak, but a lot of that may have been hunger + fever.  Managed to chow down some rice soup with greens late at night, which probably helped.
That was pretty scary though...  Probably should have sought help, but fever and pride stopped me.  Stupid.
She/they

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18372 on: February 08, 2018, 06:16:05 pm »

Haha, that's okay you're still alive. I really should have gone to the hospital for IV fluids last time I caught a serious bug. I'm sure my fever was well over the acceptable limit as well.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18373 on: February 11, 2018, 07:51:41 am »

Went out to drink some beers for carnaval.
Went home around 3am, well and safe before closing time (when the drunk rowdy masses all leave the pubs).
Went to get my bicycle, was met by 20 man strong police force cordonning off the pub next to my bicycle.
Half a dozen people either covered in blood and/or bleeding were talking to the police, no one was allowed in or out of the pub.

No it was no terror attack. That's just your average drunk people carnaval night in the Netherlands :p
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18374 on: February 12, 2018, 01:57:03 am »

A classic bar fight

Did they let you have your bike at least?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1223 1224 [1225] 1226 1227 ... 1420