Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1225 1226 [1227] 1228 1229 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1976996 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18390 on: March 15, 2018, 10:48:34 pm »

I'd be more terrified of getting saddled with student loans.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18391 on: March 15, 2018, 10:50:25 pm »

Preparing to transfer to a college. Their on-campus housing is all full so I have to get off-campus housing, which means researching apartments and signing agreements and paying bills and buying my own food and budgeting and etc.

Gonna go look at apartments in person tomorrow, and reading online reviews of some of the places is like reading a horror story. Starting to get nervous that despite my best efforts I'll sign up for a roach motel that bills me tons for garbage quality.

Even more horrifying is calculating what these places will cost for one year once all the small monthly fees are combined with the rent rate. I hope college works out to be worth the investment.
Here is a potentially useful tips. Some professors will actually rent rooms. So if you know one they might be able to help. Remember, many of them are also paid shit and some are just nice and want company. So if you are know to them and they like and trust you they might help. Also there might be other students that live in the area and would be overjoyed to have a not awful roommate. so make friends and talk to people. Everyone else is also a person, even professors it turns out. One of the best things you can do is just be friendly with other students in your field and your professors. A lot of them are really nice when you get to know them. I regularly stop by offices and just talk and ask questions and help for stuff. They will be delighted if you are serious about it. You can also find the labs and meeting rooms where the students hang out and have their little communities. The anthropology lab at my university always has intelligent interesting people form our little community their talking and helping each other. surprisingly few people even notice the place but we have free coffee and tea and food every Tuesday. Seriously making friends with other students in your field and your professors will pay off in so many ways.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18392 on: March 16, 2018, 09:38:25 am »

I'd be more terrified of getting saddled with student loans.
That too. Hopefully I'm not going to need to take any loans. I've gotten a lot of credit done by community college and it should take only a year or so to meet the requirements for a bachelor degree. Ideally.

Here is a potentially useful tips. Some professors will actually rent rooms. So if you know one they might be able to help. Remember, many of them are also paid shit and some are just nice and want company. So if you are know to them and they like and trust you they might help. Also there might be other students that live in the area and would be overjoyed to have a not awful roommate. so make friends and talk to people. Everyone else is also a person, even professors it turns out. One of the best things you can do is just be friendly with other students in your field and your professors. A lot of them are really nice when you get to know them. I regularly stop by offices and just talk and ask questions and help for stuff. They will be delighted if you are serious about it. You can also find the labs and meeting rooms where the students hang out and have their little communities. The anthropology lab at my university always has intelligent interesting people form our little community their talking and helping each other. surprisingly few people even notice the place but we have free coffee and tea and food every Tuesday. Seriously making friends with other students in your field and your professors will pay off in so many ways.
Trying to make connections is probably one of the primary things I'm hoping to get out of college, other than the degree. Problem is I'm bad at people skills, and don't know anyone at the college I'm transferring to. Or anywhere else. :V
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18393 on: March 16, 2018, 09:43:52 am »

and don't know anyone at the college I'm transferring to. Or anywhere else. :V

You wouldn't be alone, there'd certainly be a lot of people in the same situation with not knowing anybody at the new place. Also, I meant to say student loan debt, but I suspect you knew what meant.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:49:26 am by smjjames »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18394 on: March 16, 2018, 10:42:15 am »

Also, I meant to say student loan debt, but I suspect you knew what meant.
Yeah, loans and debt go together like two mutant peas grown into conjoined twins in a pod.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18395 on: March 17, 2018, 03:28:32 am »

Oh yay, HIPPA. I'm going to have to get some HIPPA training if/when I ever get promoted like I want.
Those HIPPA don't lie.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18396 on: March 17, 2018, 10:05:09 pm »

Why on Earth did I decide to take a selfie whilst yawning.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18397 on: March 17, 2018, 11:23:48 pm »

Why on Earth did I decide to take a selfie
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18398 on: March 17, 2018, 11:26:59 pm »

Why on Earth did I decide
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18399 on: March 17, 2018, 11:32:45 pm »

Why am I on Earth
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18400 on: March 17, 2018, 11:35:06 pm »

Why
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18401 on: March 17, 2018, 11:37:47 pm »

Because

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18402 on: March 18, 2018, 12:00:04 am »

Because why not?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18403 on: March 18, 2018, 01:52:58 am »

Because your parents put you here without even asking first and now you have to fucking try your best even though everything is bullshit and you dont want to live on this planet anymore: we havent invented ftl travel or colonized any other worlds yet, youre screwed.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18404 on: March 18, 2018, 02:19:26 am »

Now is a glorious time to do AI research, with the aim of neural upload though.  In a shiny new silicon body, you dont need FTL to go to another planet. :P

Costs in this sector are going down, and there is a lot of preliminary, but still very exciting work being done.
Pages: 1 ... 1225 1226 [1227] 1228 1229 ... 1420