Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1963784 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #16755 on: September 12, 2016, 02:05:00 pm »

Barely in topic, I always feel that horror games get kinda lame when you're given ways to actualy fight the supposedly scary things, which is exactly why I think people will stop thinking resident evil 6 is SUPAH SCARY once they gain hold of a shotgun or something.

Who the hell cares about deformed female zombie redneck people when you have a shotgun?

Silent hill is also kinda guilty of this. O mai, supah scary vagina monster, I am terrified, now come closer so I can perform certain acts upon you with this rusty crowbar that will make Freud's corpse vibrate with glee.

I mean, not all games to have to take the amnesia route and leave you completely helpless, its ok to give people a way to fight back, but said way of fighting back shouldn't be so great as to completely eliminate all threats, or else it just becomes resident evil (hello hello, The Evil Within).
I still prefer that sort of game. I can handle spooky scary monsters a lot better if I have a big goddamn gun to fire at them. This is how I conquered my fear of zombies: Lots of playing L4D and using a shotgun.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #16756 on: September 12, 2016, 02:42:24 pm »

Shit, I didn't mean to come across as that edgy. Unfortunately edge can't always be avoided when you're as cool as Shadow the Hedgehog /s.

I honestly interpreted that as you being genuinely helpful to the ghost, as in "Do your best  :D" not "FUCK U BRAH GIVE IT EVERYTHING YOU GOT  >:(". 
I read it somewhat weirdly.  "Do your best" is a phrase that really unsettles me, so I thought GD was trying to give the ghost performance anxiety.

That is, more or less, the intention of things like that. Whatever you can do is insufficient, so why even try? (or: COME AT ME, BRO).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16757 on: September 12, 2016, 06:58:11 pm »

I learned about BadUSB. Basically, the firmware of a USB device can contain a malware payload. It's like learning that the pockets in your pants can be malicious. And this is after I read about the electrical attack possibility, where a special device can just zap the fuck out of your computer through USB.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16758 on: September 12, 2016, 07:06:22 pm »

I learned about BadUSB. Basically, the firmware of a USB device can contain a malware payload. It's like learning that the pockets in your pants can be malicious. And this is after I read about the electrical attack possibility, where a special device can just zap the fuck out of your computer through USB.
Did you hear about the spy technique that allows anybody with access to a wall socket to spy on any computer connected to household voltage?

Better yet, did you know that people can map the interior of your house by using passive radar to detect the patterns made by your WiFi signal?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16759 on: September 12, 2016, 07:11:22 pm »

I might be willing to believe the second one, but the first one sounds perilously like bull. Even if you were to rig a power outlet to detect information, what would it receive? Data isn't sent through power cords in either direction.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16760 on: September 12, 2016, 07:21:20 pm »

It's a little hard to even find via search, but certain old CRTs could be made to "explode" via software.  Well, my dad always said "explode" but I'm not certain.  Involved playing with refresh rates in a way the hardware specs weren't meant for.  There are search results which suggest it's at least partly true.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16761 on: September 12, 2016, 07:31:43 pm »

Every video I've seen about building things with/disassembling CRTs comes with big warnings and disclaimers, so I'd believe it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16762 on: September 12, 2016, 07:34:58 pm »

Well yeah don't fucking TOUCH a disassembled CRT.
Those things hold dangerous charge for days, possibly weeks after being unplugged.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16763 on: September 12, 2016, 07:36:26 pm »

Watching documentaries about parasites.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16764 on: September 12, 2016, 08:09:42 pm »

Don't they also use cadmium in the screen?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16765 on: September 12, 2016, 08:44:49 pm »

And before that, boot-sector viruses were a thing for a long time.
She/they

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16766 on: September 13, 2016, 03:09:18 am »

Ghosts really don't want to kill you, because if they killed you then they would have to deal with another ghost who is pissed off at them.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16767 on: September 13, 2016, 11:57:02 am »

On the topic of weird and awesome malware: there's also a spy program that's made for boxes completely isolated from any network: it transmits info to an external device using fan (or drive; that's a different version) speed modulation. Basically, you just have to hang around for some time (apparently quite some time: it's rather slow as information transfer tech goes) with a recording device, and bam.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16768 on: September 13, 2016, 01:25:27 pm »

Ghosts really don't want to kill you, because if they killed you then they would have to deal with another ghost who is pissed off at them.
This is what the wind is - angry ghosts beating the shit out of each other.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16769 on: September 13, 2016, 01:26:20 pm »

On the topic of weird and awesome malware: there's also a spy program that's made for boxes completely isolated from any network: it transmits info to an external device using fan (or drive; that's a different version) speed modulation. Basically, you just have to hang around for some time (apparently quite some time: it's rather slow as information transfer tech goes) with a recording device, and bam.
That is simultaneously really cool and really scary.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 1420