Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964065 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #16140 on: May 16, 2016, 05:45:13 am »

Dude, this is the Terrified thread. I thought that was pretty much implied of any untitled link?
No, because 90% of the time it's just a picture of holes
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16142 on: May 21, 2016, 09:18:26 pm »

I know this is stupid but, I just can't replay the hotel level of Vampire the Masquerade.  I just... have no tolerance for that style of game.  It's kinda like Slender, or FNAF I guess, except that it doesn't have pop scares.  It's more like Slender.  I'm rambling. 

Basically there's a ghost, and you keep seeing him - but not in your face, down a hallway or something - and then he disappears.  Usually by simply being *gone* in an instant.  No puff of smoke, no howl.  He'll be standing there, maybe looking at you, and then there's nothing.

The first thing you do is get a key from the empty guardhouse (which involves looking away from the door and window, natch).  I thought he'd be watching me when I turned back around, but no.  There was a strange motor sound, which grew in intensity, and then the guardhouse shook a bit.  It was weird but not really scary.  This was just the intro.  I left the shack, and a forklift had driven into the side.  Bit creepy, nothing I couldn't handle though.

As I approached the hotel doors, one of the lightbulbs burst.  This is the civil, artistic version of a puppet screaming in your face.  It's startling, but nothing on its own...  It just keeps you on edge.  Or me, anyway.  Bulbs burst and paintings fall throughout the entire level, but they're hardly the scary part.

I chided myself for being silly and managed to enter the hotel.  I stood still and looked around the familiar area.  Ahead, a beautiful double stairway leading to the second floor balcony.  To the left, a hallway which I was pretty sure lead to the scariest single moment in the game.  I remembered walking down that hallway, lost and frustrated, the tension gone as I tried to figure out which way to go.  It was a dead end, so I turned around...  And he was there.  Just standing there, not in my face, but staring right at me from the other side of the dead end.  Or... was he walking toward me?  This is literally what happens in my worst nightmares.

While remembering that, I scanned to the right.  And there he was.  Just a figure in the darkness, easy to miss, holding something... an axe?  To dark to tell.  I didn't panic, in fact I felt in control!  I had spotted him, and if I didn't move, surely he would- oh he disappeared, so unnaturally, like a graphics glitch.  Like he could reappear anywhere at any time.

Now I was panicking despite myself.  I ran to the right, past where he was.  Down the little hallway, which looked just like the one I remembered (was it on the right, not the left??)  As soon as I moved, the hotel groaned and fixtures started shaking.  I didn't hear a voice, but there was a caption:  "He hates you.  He wants to kill you."  The little girl he murdered.

I turned around expecting to see him waiting, and he wasn't there.  I think that was the final straw.  If I could have predicted that appearance, I could have kept going.

Too much like my nightmares.  Wonderful game, well done, maybe sometime I'll cheat my way out or play with a friend in the room.  But I don't think so.  I beat that level once, and it kinda felt like a justification for every selfish act I committed for the rest of the playthrough.  It was the point when my character really became a vampire instead of a scared mortal.

... I swear to fuck that I just heard a cough from downstairs.  Obviously it was someone walking outside but... fuck this game.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16143 on: May 21, 2016, 09:20:28 pm »

Yeah, that's... Creepy.

*offers hug*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16144 on: May 21, 2016, 10:45:07 pm »

My internet is being especially screwy today. If it cuts out again I might just strangle something.
Or, more likely, break something I can't afford to replace.

@Rolan: That sounds pretty well done. When was that game released?
Spooky videogames can be great fun when well executed. I can understand being freaked out by a good one, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16145 on: May 21, 2016, 10:59:57 pm »

It's a Half Life 2 engine game, though it barely looks like it.  Funny thing is, according to my friend, it actually came out slightly before HL2 did!  And it's frankly a lot deeper, it's a full-on RPG with about 7 classes (the "clans" of Vampire the Masquerade).  They did a pretty impressive job of making social skills valuable.  There is unavoidable combat, but it's largely optional or avoidable through stealth or speech checks.

The unofficial patch apparently fixes a lot of bugs, adds a lot more character-generation options, and optionally unlocks a lot of unfinished content.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16146 on: May 21, 2016, 11:23:58 pm »

There's a mod to remove that level. That's how fucking terrifying it was. People genuinely didn't want to have to go through it again because of the ghost. I count myself and my brother amongst them.

Fuck, dude.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16147 on: May 21, 2016, 11:28:12 pm »

arghnodontcomparevampiretohl2theyretotallydifferentgames

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16148 on: May 21, 2016, 11:31:55 pm »

butitrunsonthesameenginetheyretotallycomparable
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #16149 on: May 22, 2016, 12:29:42 am »

Funny thing is, according to my friend, it actually came out slightly before HL2 did!
It was finished (or "finished") first, but published later, due to an agreement with Valve.

I actually liked the hotel level. Solving the mystery one news headline at a time, dodging the spectre's attacks, listening for advice from the wraith, not getting into combat, it was all a nice change of pace from the rest of the game. My personal favourite moment is probably when right before you {pick up the pendant, you see a vision of the hotel room in its prime, only for it to revert back to its burnt state when you take it. If you look back at the room, you notice that you must have just walked over a large hole in the floor that you probably couldn't even have jumped: the wraith was powerful enough to make a bridge without any physical object,} proving the wraith is much stronger than the spectre. For the spectre, I liked the scene {in the kitchen where it throws everything around.} A brutal show of power which forces you to take cover even if you're not really afraid, yet it accidentally(?) opens the way for you to advance. There was no question about me giving {the pendant} to Therese; the ghosts deserve to rest for the good show.

Part of me might be biased, though, since I've read up on Wraith: the Oblivion, another oWoD (tabletop) game that the level is based on. Knowing how wraiths and spectres operate makes them less scary, I'd say.

E: invisitexted some spoilers.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:43:44 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16150 on: May 22, 2016, 02:08:44 pm »

Yeah, that's... Creepy.

*offers hug*
It loses a lot of it's terror when you realize that it's extremely difficult to actually suffer Final Death from the ghost's stuff, and the only truly dangerous part is when {ghostly flames are everywhere, as they do aggravated damage}.

As for another scary game, I just started playing Alien: Isolation. Already noped out long before {you watch Axel get killed by the xenomorph}. Nope. Fuck that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16151 on: May 23, 2016, 04:34:38 pm »

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #16152 on: May 24, 2016, 04:32:43 am »

I just realised I could actually die in the near future for one of any number of reasons, which is always a nasty shock
thincake

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16153 on: May 24, 2016, 04:59:44 am »

I just realised I could actually die in the near future for one of any number of reasons, which is always a nasty shock
This.  This terrified me.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #16154 on: May 24, 2016, 07:38:10 am »

Nothing specific. Just general accidents and stuff, Don worry.
thincake
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1420