Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964729 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #16080 on: May 01, 2016, 03:19:55 am »

it's like a GCSE but not cool and not for 16-year-olds
What's that in Australian?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16081 on: May 01, 2016, 04:04:58 am »

AP is an advanced version of a normal high school class. Usually, it is the basic college level course on the subject, and it often provides a college credit in addition to the high school credit.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16082 on: May 01, 2016, 05:48:48 am »

AP is an advanced version of a normal high school class. Usually, it is the basic college level course on the subject, and it often provides a college credit in addition to the high school credit.
If you have IB courses they're like those.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16083 on: May 02, 2016, 02:52:32 am »

What the hell is a college credit? What the hell is a high-school credit?
What the hell is an IB course?

HSC sucks enough as-is without being confused by these terms. I'm relying on getting a good ATAR, and if I left at the end of year 10 I would have gotten a ROSA, which may be better than the ATAR. I am doubting my ability to be above average! *Sobs dramatically*
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16084 on: May 02, 2016, 03:10:32 am »

damn it, why does everybody else get the cool ap courses

all I got was ap biology

(that is, ap bio is, to my knowledge, literally the only ap course ever offered at my school)

we don't even have comp sci classes at all

School-level comp sci was pretty useless in my experience. Learned more from doing stuff at home and then college. If I could do it over, I'd have dropped my computer science elective at school for more science classes. At highschool level I think you're better off focusing on fundamental sciences rather than vocational-specific stuff with computers, especially if it's already your hobby.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:16:21 am by Reelya »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #16085 on: May 02, 2016, 03:25:21 am »

School-level comp sci was pretty useless in my experience.
When I took a course of it in the ninth grade (~15 years old) in 2012, I was taught how to use MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and FrontPage. For the first three I learned nothing new (I had used similar programs for school projects for years), while the last was new to me, but discontinued in 2006, so it was ultimately pointless. In the very last month of the course, there was some basic syntax and program fragments for Python, which could possibly be useful with some a lot of polish, though it was something I could have learned myself with an online guide or something.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16086 on: May 02, 2016, 03:58:27 am »

Related terror: I open bay12 by doing ctrl-t+b+enter on reflex/muscle memory, so when my teacher asked us to google search the geographic term 'bay' I hit enter without checking the autofill suggestion (the unread topics page). My teacher was looking over my shoulder, luckily though I managed to ctrl-w fast enough to pass it off as a muscle spasm. Was shitting my pants.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16087 on: May 02, 2016, 03:13:00 pm »

A credit is the completion of a required course toward a degree. Any given high school course counts as a credit toward your diploma, and getting a diploma requires that you accumulate a certain number of credits in addition to meeting the bare minimum state-required courses (completing your minimum x years of English, y years of Math, and Z years of science is generally not enough credits to graduate - you're expected to pad out your class list with things like foreign languages, home economics, or shop classes). The same applies to college degrees. An AP course provides the "you took this subject" credit for high school while also giving you a "bonus" credit toward your diploma and usually "you took this course" credit for an affiliated college.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16088 on: May 02, 2016, 03:14:57 pm »

HSC sucks enough as-is without being confused by these terms. I'm relying on getting a good ATAR, and if I left at the end of year 10 I would have gotten a ROSA, which may be better than the ATAR. I am doubting my ability to be above average! *Sobs dramatically*
What are all of those?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #16089 on: May 02, 2016, 03:56:48 pm »

Well, since my school wanted to be a special snowflake and use IB instead of AP courses, I can explain.  IB and AP are, effectively, the same thing.  Teaching college or near-college level classes in high school so that you gain a college credit so that in theory you don't have to take it in college.  The main difference is location, some places use IB, and others use AP.

Which sucks for me since pretty much no colleges near me recognize IB and only take AP credits so half my classes barely matter.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16090 on: May 03, 2016, 12:11:41 am »

Well, since my school wanted to be a special snowflake and use IB instead of AP courses, I can explain.  IB and AP are, effectively, the same thing.  Teaching college or near-college level classes in high school so that you gain a college credit so that in theory you don't have to take it in college.  The main difference is location, some places use IB, and others use AP.

Which sucks for me since pretty much no colleges near me recognize IB and only take AP credits so half my classes barely matter.

I went to a high school that offered both (and took some of each), and they're definitely not equivalent. The staff explicitly ranked them in terms of normal classes < AP < IB. For one, IB courses have a required peer review component-the major projects of each student get shipped off to another IB-qualified teacher somewhere in the world, which helps guard against lax standards in any particular country.

Generally what I found was that AP courses were mostly rote memorization, IB courses were mostly critical thinking. Unlike AP courses, IB does a decent job of modeling undergraduate work; they were more challenging than anything I had until I was ~5 semesters in to my BA, barring a few exceptions. It also helped that they were (for the most part, excluding a few things like Physics) two-year, so the teachers had a lot more time to work through a comprehensive curriculum instead of being forced to push test prep for the standardized bullshit at the expense of coursework.

Let's take for an example IB English. Here's how it was structured, at least for me: Two year course with an extensive reading list. The daily activity was to come to class and participate in Socratic seminar-style discussions about whatever was most recently read (the room was arranged as a very large conference room, tables ringing the outside facing inward) with zero participation from the teacher-he essentially started the class by saying "Okay, go," and then took notes on what we said and did. That was most of our grade, apart from the year-end projects. The first year we had to develop a topic relating to one of the works we'd covered, write a paper on it, and give a fifteen minute presentation for the class on it (which was also taped and shipped off to be graded).

The second year we had to write another paper on a topic of our choice, but we also had to give an on-the-spot fifteen minute lecture on a randomly assigned passage from the readings. Basically what happened there was that we walked into a room, drew an envelope from a basket of them, and pulled out our prompt, which was an unmarked passage from anywhere in anything we'd read in the past two years, with no information regarding what it was, where it was drawn from, &c. We had twenty minutes to write notes and prepare to give the talk, after which we went in to give it in a one-on-one setting with the teacher (and a tape recorder). I got lucky and drew a passage from A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man that I knew by heart, which made it go easy, but I'm pretty sure some of my classmates lost months off their lives from the stress there.

I took ~30-odd hours of English coursework at my undergraduate school, and only two of those courses were more educational, more challenging, or more interesting than that IB English course, and both were small and taught by senior professors who were thorough invested in the subject matter.

That said, the problem about IB credits not being recognized is very true.

So basically: If you want to skip some gen-ed courses but aren't bright/motivated enough to get into your university's honors program to skip them all, do AP courses in high school. If you want to learn real study and work skills (and maybe even enjoy your classes a little), do IB courses in high school.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16091 on: May 03, 2016, 03:31:53 am »

What are all of those?
HSC stands for High School Certificate. The 'year of the HSC' means Year 12 (which includes term 4 of year 11). Pretty much it's a very hard exam that you have for each topic. For example, we'll have a HSC exam for English, Maths, and nearly(?) all electives.
ATAR is a magical number generated from the results of your HSC. It is your overall 'rank' out of everyone, where (due to weird rules) nobody can ever get a true 100, it caps at 99.9 and if you get less than thirty it simply shots '<30'. It's weird for a rank in that you want the bigger number.
ROSA is pretty much a list of your schooling achievements (eg:you were the lead character in that play from year three) and it's over-the-top kinda-untrue translation of that achievement's use in the real world (keeping with the lead character in the Y3 play idea, an example would be 'This student displays skill to step into shoes that are not their own and rapidly adjust to them'). It's done to give the plebs leaving in Year 10 something to give to employers.

Oh, and the ATAR stands for Australian Tertiary Admission Rank. Universities and organisations can set prerequisites for a course or job based of ATAR (ATAR of >66)

As a rank and not a true score, it is impossible to predict accurately, even if you know your results. It also means that if the rest of Australia was super-smart you will get a lower ATAR than if the rest of Australia was really dumb, due to it being a rank.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:36:30 am by Insanegame27 »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16092 on: May 05, 2016, 12:41:11 am »

Not insignificant portions of the province I live in are currently fire. Its gotten the the point that a freaking mid-sized town was completely evacuated and large portions of it are probably going to be mostly unsalvageable after this. I'll probably be fine because rivers and science, but STILL. This is some pretty serious business. And if climate change keeps intensifying, this sort of thing'll happen more often in more places. Its at times like this that I want to just fuck off into the mountains with a library, a lifetime supply of salted crackers and some cats and forget about everything else.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16093 on: May 05, 2016, 01:08:11 am »

My cat loves salted crackers. I miss her (she's staying with a friend of relatives, we're debating whether to take her back or not now that we're back home, because I'm lazy and it would be up to me to clean her litter box).

Yup. I saw the news updates, this fire is scary. Apparently we only sent a handful of army people up there to help with it, but 5 military helicopters?! Yeah, something like 2000 homes already burned down.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16094 on: May 07, 2016, 05:48:43 pm »

Swamped by angry people wanting booze and tobacco again. No salvation
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1420