Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1968217 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #14505 on: October 14, 2015, 10:48:18 pm »

I'm morally against immortaility, myself included.

Just look at all the problems caused by old people, then multiply that by hundreds.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: October 14, 2015, 11:48:07 pm »

Eehh... standard immortality would fix most of the old people problems, though. S'largely just the whole decaying mind and body thing. Most of the rest of the problems could be fixed with an occasional targeted memory wipe :V

Hell, if the immortality package came with some neural plasticity rejuvenation, even a lot of the cultural inertia issues would likely be addressed. Fair amount of that comes about just 'cause the mind is physically harder to change as you get older.

Not really a good comparison is what I'm sayin', really. Better would probably be population issues in general, but even that would probably be in better shape with immortality floating around... less pressure/need to continually reproduce and drive up the population.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: October 15, 2015, 12:09:51 am »

I think the biggest problem with extended lifespans would be overpopulation... hell, it's already a problem.

The only immortality I need is a death in battle. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: October 15, 2015, 12:24:46 am »

I must say, the agony rays our alien overlords shoot at us every Saturday really gives me a great appreciation for the six other days of not being in debilitating pain. I can't see why anybody would want them to stop doing that.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: October 15, 2015, 10:27:15 am »

I'm not sure saying you're morally against immortality is a great thing, here. At least, in implications.

Like, great for you, don't go through with whatever treatment we devise, but don't stop other people from experiencing it if they wish to. Not saying you would, but it's something :v In my own opinion, preventing someone from taking such a treatment should be treated as a form of slow murder, since you're directly causing their death from old age if they are unable to take the treatment between your prevention and their death. Especially if it's like, shove their brain into a durable robot shell and prevent neuro-degeneracy, since you'd be directly responsible for them dying if they get run over by a car that they'd have survived if they were Robocop.

Also: Most arguments against immortality are weighted by the fact that we can't do it yet. I'm fairly certain that people who say things like "You'll become so bored!" now, when we can't do it, will change their tune once us being able to do it becomes a factor. It's just a defense mechanism to get over an biologically ingrained fear of death, same as (in my opinion) most religious afterlives are.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:29:44 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: October 15, 2015, 11:03:17 am »

I honestly don't think I'd want to live forever, or too long for that matter. Existing is rather exhausting and no matter how fun it can get, that's still just a distraction from the fact that you exist.

So bring on the void, soon if possible, i was fine before being forced into existance, I'd much prefer to be fine like that again.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: October 15, 2015, 11:14:11 am »

Bring on the immortality! With it, people could finally do things that'd take too long otherwise. Like fly to more distant planets.
thincake

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: October 15, 2015, 11:23:25 am »

I honestly don't think I'd want to live forever, or too long for that matter. Existing is rather exhausting and no matter how fun it can get, that's still just a distraction from the fact that you exist.

So bring on the void, soon if possible, i was fine before being forced into existance, I'd much prefer to be fine like that again.

You wouldn't be fine. You just simply wouldn't be.

Personally, I prefer struggle to meek acceptance.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light" is a phrase I hold close to my heart.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: October 15, 2015, 11:27:01 am »

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light" is a phrase I hold close to my heart.
Bring on the immortality! With it, people could finally do things that'd take too long otherwise. Like fly to more distant planets.
These.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: October 15, 2015, 11:30:49 am »

Edgy :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: October 15, 2015, 12:05:49 pm »

I know I missed the discussion on e-books vs. actual books by a few pages but I wanted to weigh in.

I've always been one of the people who thinks physical books are better in 95% of cases and complained about e-books being pointless. But. As of now I cannot physically use real books but I can use e-books. They seriously helped save my sanity when I had literally nothing else to do in my life for months.

So. I guess I have a reason to be thankful they are such a widespread thing now, even if I don't like them as much.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: October 15, 2015, 12:17:06 pm »

But... ebooks aren't pointless. You can have an entire personal library in your pocket, or your backpack if you prefer the larger screen of a tablet or laptop. They serve a function that physical books literally cannot, unless they invent those tiny capsule books from Dune that project the microscopic physical pages as a hologram.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: October 15, 2015, 12:27:53 pm »

Yes, I'd be fine with not being, that's what I was getting at. I do plan to live, still too much left to do but I don't plan to fight the inevitable, in fact I'd welcome it, because whatever I may have done or left undone in this existance pales to the eternity of nothing coming before and after it. And it's calming as fuck to know that, no matter how bad or insufferable it might be, it will end one day.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: October 15, 2015, 12:56:25 pm »

Immortality could potentially solve lots of social issues.  There are many, many issues of human behavior that have their roots in our limited lifespans.

First and foremost, people would care more about long-term consequences.  Baby boomers wouldn't be sucking every drop of excess out of the planet that they can on the pretense that they'll never have to face the consequences if the rhetoric went from "think about the world you're leaving your grandchildren" to "think about the world YOU will be living in 50 years from now".

That's the big one.  There's many other issues that would potentially be alleviated. 

There would be less reason to pressure people to put out all this productivity within a specific period of their lives -- "You have to get all your education in by a certain point and then work your ass off to make enough money to retire by this other point GO GO GO GO GO." 

I imagine many people would be less reckless within their own lives if they had the notion that they could be throwing away much, much more than a handful of energetic years, and there would be less pressure to rush and be reckless in order to deal with the fact that they may not get to do everything they want to do otherwise. 

And so on... gotta rush back to work from my lunch break now :/
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: October 15, 2015, 02:40:19 pm »

itisnotlogical is an aye-aye.

None of this conversation is terrifying. I am disappoint, guys.

The inevitable entropic heat death of the universe.
TPPA
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1420